Reply 1
i think its from 27th september? not really that long to go now!xx
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
SU website :smile:
Reply 3
Usually last week in September. Try not to get too excited though, there are some not-so-fun things that have to be done during the day, too. :smile:
Haha okay, & what would these tasks be? what is freshers week essentially? what does it consist of? is the fayre mad? I have looked all over but there is little info about at the moment. Do you have a freshers ball?
Reply 5
Like getting your ID card, going to talks about your modules, module selection etc etc. What do you mean by mad? There are basically lots of tables in a tent and in 3sixty (the night club) and you go around signing up for mailing lists and you may get a few free pens. Depending on what hall you get into, the JCR of that hall will arrange nights out and stuff - some halls are loads better at this than others. We do have a freshers' ball, but it's held in 3sixty, it's not very big - there will be a cheesy old school pop group/singer, though. Not that many people go as far as I know - unless your hall friends all REALLY want to go, I'd suggest you give it a miss and save your dress for the summer ball which is really a lot better. :smile:
Reply 6
WOOOOOOOOO! FREE PENS YEAH! Can't wait for the freshers week to start!
Reply 7
Gotta love those free pens! :smile: rather excited :biggrin:
Reply 8
Seriously, don't pump yourselves up for the fayre - it may be a little bit of an anticlimax.
Reply 9
hannahradford
Seriously, don't pump yourselves up for the fayre - it may be a little bit of an anticlimax.

Agreed! I managed to miss the societies tent entirely it was that "exciting"! It's a good time to get to know people etc but it's not all that!
So other than the fair nothing else goes on?
Reply 11
Beatrix Potter
So other than the fair nothing else goes on?

Well on campus, not really. Lots of societies go around handing out leaflets, and there's a poster sale.

Evening activities are totally organised by the JCR of your hall. Although Wednesday and Saturday nights are union nights, and Tues night is comedy club, Friday is rough cuts in mojos (which is live music from up-coming bands) which are all in the union building. I think in freshers' week, though, Friday is the freshers' ball.
so all in all, sounds like its gonna be a bit of a s***er then lol.
Just feel lucky you have one! Warwick goes straight in with tests and lectures the first week plus the fairs which you can't get to because you have lectures! It would've been nice to have a few days to settle in before the work started.
Reply 14
Sparkling_Jules
Just feel lucky you have one! Warwick goes straight in with tests and lectures the first week plus the fairs which you can't get to because you have lectures! It would've been nice to have a few days to settle in before the work started.

I fail to see the point of this post, other than an opportunity for you to have a moan.

It's not even a week, it's five days and for the most part of it, many of the students in my halls were bored stiff and couldn't wait for lectures to start.
hannahradford
I fail to see the point of this post, other than an opportunity for you to have a moan.

It's not even a week, it's five days and for the most part of it, many of the students in my halls were bored stiff and couldn't wait for lectures to start.

Blates the hardcores :spank:
hannahradford

I'm sorry, people seemed to be moaning that there was a freshers week so I thought I'd give a point of view from someone who didn't have one.
Reply 17
hannahradford

Sucks to be them, paying extra to stay in halls to get bored! What kind of students get bored in freshers week... they need to loosen up!

The stuff during the day is easily accomplished with a raging hangover, just basically a lot of queuing. Freshers week is a lot of fun!
Reply 18
hannahradford
Like getting your ID card, going to talks about your modules, module selection etc etc. What do you mean by mad? There are basically lots of tables in a tent and in 3sixty (the night club) and you go around signing up for mailing lists and you may get a few free pens. Depending on what hall you get into, the JCR of that hall will arrange nights out and stuff - some halls are loads better at this than others. We do have a freshers' ball, but it's held in 3sixty, it's not very big - there will be a cheesy old school pop group/singer, though. Not that many people go as far as I know - unless your hall friends all REALLY want to go, I'd suggest you give it a miss and save your dress for the summer ball which is really a lot better. :smile:

This is BS, don't miss your freshers ball. You're only a (true) fresher once! Ok, it's not as good as the summer ball, but it doesn't cost £40 - and is your first chance to get dressed up at uni!
seriouslyc
This is BS, don't miss your freshers ball. You're only a (true) fresher once! Ok, it's not as good as the summer ball, but it doesn't cost £40 - and is your first chance to get dressed up at uni!

Wehayy! Someone with an ounce of enthusiasm.

Latest

Trending

Trending