Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    :eek:

My sister had been told today that she's being let go from Forfars bakery for being 'too small', having been employed for little less than a month. Has she got any rights here?

ReputationRep:
    I'm no lawyer but that's unfair dismissal, surely.

ReputationRep:
    Depends - were they on a trial period?

ReputationRep:
    Whaaaat? Unbelievable.

ReputationRep:
    Too small for what?

If it's a safety issue, they might be allowed to do that, though it still sounds a little illegal to me.

ReputationRep:
    To small, how small is small? Small as in not be able to fulfill the requirements of the shift required in this bakery place? I also think as above poster stated can be related to this. The unfair dismissal part.

e.g. someone previously got the sack as a waiter for having a shaved head. woman. I think she recevied something, will have to google it.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe she couldn't do her job properly due to her height? As un-PC as it may seem if it is a legitimate barrier then . . .

ReputationRep:
    I think they can only get away with things like that if they have a height restriction (to do with being able to do the job), such as the fire brigade do. They have lifted the height restriction but you must still be capable of handling things like ladders (which is more difficult for some people to do with height apparently. I only know about this because I was informed when I wanted to join as I'm 5'0.

I doubt a bakery has these restrictions in place though so I would certainly look at possible unfair dismissal.

ReputationRep:
    Unless she's a hobbit, unfair dismissal.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently she always has to get someone else to get the bread from the top shelf because she can't reach it...

She wasn't on a trial peroid of anything. They said they were going to move her to another store where her height wouldn't be an issue, but then today she got sacked.

She's just under 5ft BTW.

ReputationRep:
    well to work behind waitrose counters you have to be above a minimum height. they probably just didnt think about it before but have now realised that they need someone taller

(Original post by simon12345)
    Apparently she always has to get someone else to get the bread from the top shelf because she can't reach it...

She wasn't on a trial peroid of anything. They said they were going to move her to another store where her height wouldn't be an issue, but then today she got sacked.

She's just under 5ft BTW.
    too small to reach the top shelf bread = unproductive
    not much you can do, if she cant reach the bread then she cant be working in a bakery!!

this is just as bad as muslim women complaining they dont get jobs as teachers because they wear full burkha thingy, covering whole body ,but the eyes... obviously you cannot communicate and teach a whole class when being fully covered like that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neomilan)
    too small to reach the top shelf bread = unproductive
    not much you can do, if she cant reach the bread then she cant be working in a bakery!!

this is just as bad as muslim women complaining they dont get jobs as teachers because they wear full burkha thingy, covering whole body ,but the eyes... obviously you cannot communicate and teach a whole class when being fully covered like that...
    Surely they should have thought about that before they employed her? She hasn't suddenly shrunk since she was interviewed and given the job. And surely they should provide her with equipment that will allow her to fulfil her job properly e.g. foot stall?

ReputationRep:
    sue them for discrimination. this is a form of sizism
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    That does sound pretty dodgy. After all, they knew how tall she was when they employed her. If her work is otherwise good, that isn't enough of a reason to sack her.

ReputationRep:
    And surely they should provide her with equipment that will allow her to fulfil her job properly e.g. foot stall?
    How come? If everyone else can reach it fine, why do they need to bring in new equipment for one person? They might not have the space, especially if it's like my local Greggs ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayshah31)
    How come? If everyone else can reach it fine, why do they need to bring in new equipment for one person?
    That is like saying companies should not provide wheelchair ramps etc just for a few disabled workers.
    LOL they should give her a bucket to stand on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explosions hurt)
    That is like saying companies should not provide wheelchair ramps etc just for a few disabled workers.
    LOL they should give her a bucket to stand on.
    No, because afaik it's law that they must provide that (even for customers). I'm saying the if the shelves are of normal height, there shouldn't be any requirement for equipment for one worker at the expense of the company.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    I'm no lawyer but that's unfair dismissal, surely.
    No it's not, you need to be employed for at keast 2 years to claim UD. She might have a cause of action with wrongful dismissal though (a common law acion.)

ReputationRep:
    :eek:

My sister had been told today that she's being let go from Forfars bakery for being 'too small', having been employed for little less than a month. Has she got any rights here?
    No pun intended?? lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.