Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    basically what the title says, if u achieve A`s in all ur subjects overall but get a B in one module and then dont put down module grades at AS on UCAS form does it send the wrong message to the tutors at oxford, meaniing are u in a worse position than someone that does?

P.S. going to be applying for E&M

thanks, MR T

ReputationRep:
    THAT'S RIGHT FOOL!!!

Actually, you don't have to declare module grades at all so it shouldn't matter. As long as you're set to get As at the end they seem much more concerned by interviews than AS marks (unlike Cambridge).

ReputationRep:
    BUT!!

As of my year of application (2006/7) the people interviewing you can check what your module marks are anyway so you cant hide them this way if they want to check! Do I think it will put you at a disadvantage either way? No, for reasons above unless they are something to shout (ie not exceptional either way) about then theyre generally not concerned about what AS marks you got

ReputationRep:
    is there any evidence for this as i thought cambridge were the only university with these rights

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think your module marks were availlable at all which is why cambridge send you an email requesting more information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR T__THATS RIGHT FOOL!!!)
    is there any evidence for this as i thought cambridge were the only university with these rights
    Any university has the right to ask for any information it finds helpful, and not necessarily on a systematic basis. Cambridge asks for UMS marks; other universities delve into module grades (e.g. Imperial for maths). Oxford tends not to.

Coming back to the original question, you can bet that those with module grades they are proud off will be making sure the universities are aware of them, either through the grade declaration or via the reference, or possibly (but inadvisedly) the PS. The universities will be left to read between the lines for everyone else, but may not be very interested anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I asked one of the tutors at an Open Day about it and she said when assessing the applications, their department does not disadvantage anyone who do not declare their UMS marks, similar, won't favour anyone whose UMS marks are very good - they're just bonuses and usually they won't consider them.

What they're more interested in is the way you think and they won't ask for anything further than the grades they want.

She also added, many people her department takes each year aren't actually people who get extremely good grades but rather those who demonstrated that they have the potential to achieve.
    What's more, her best student in the 3rd year currently actually scraped the entry requirements when he applied....

This is only what one of the department have said, migth not apply to all but the chances of them assessing similarly is pretty high too. =)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Nimbus)
    I asked one of the tutors at an Open Day about it and she said when assessing the applications, their department does not disadvantage anyone who do not declare their UMS marks, similar, won't favour anyone whose UMS marks are very good - they're just bonuses and usually they won't consider them.

What they're more interested in is the way you think and they won't ask for anything further than the grades they want.

She also added, many people her department takes each year aren't actually people who get extremely good grades but rather those who demonstrated that they have the potential to achieve.
    What's more, her best student in the 3rd year currently actually scraped the entry requirements when he applied....

This is only what one of the department have said, migth not apply to all but the chances of them assessing similarly is pretty high too. =)
    which college/uni? XD

ReputationRep:
    i applied for em and got a place.
    i declared my grades for econ which were abb, so it shouldn't matter at all. also, i did business studies and econ and still got in, so really don't worry.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.