Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have not received any info from the university yet about housing or an arrival pack, yet many here have been applying for housing?

I was made an unconditional offer for my masters and have accepted.

Was thinking of staying in Opal II. Anyone stayed here before?

Whats it like for postgrads (24)? Work wise that is. Would opal II be a wise choice?

Is there a mixture of shef uni and hallam students?

first/second/third/mature students?

Where are most postgrads here looking? have you applied yet? What information have you received?

ReputationRep:
    nevermind on where to apply online. I have found the link.

ReputationRep:
    Opal II is mostly for international students with a smattering of first and second years. I lived close to the area last year and it was an area that seemed to be full of internationals. The only annoying thing about Opal II is there might be some building work still going on. Most of the major stuff has been completed since Easter, although there is another large student building going up from the one across from the Tesco express.

The majority of postgraduates I knew last year tended to stay in Brocco Flats iirc. The majority of students in that area are chiefly Sheff Uni rather than Hallam - because Hallam is miles away basically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guy_incognito)
    Opal II is mostly for international students with a smattering of first and second years. I lived close to the area last year and it was an area that seemed to be full of internationals. The only annoying thing about Opal II is there might be some building work still going on. Most of the major stuff has been completed since Easter, although there is another large student building going up from the one across from the Tesco express.

The majority of postgraduates I knew last year tended to stay in Brocco Flats iirc. The majority of students in that area are chiefly Sheff Uni rather than Hallam - because Hallam is miles away basically.
    excellent info there thanks. brocco? i will have to check this out.

i was only looking at opal II as its near the crookesmoor building where i need to be.

EDIT: just checked and thats only a bit further up from opal II so thats pretty good.

just out of interest if i wanted to go have a look round brocco how do i do this? do i need to contact shef uni accom services and arrange a day to come up?

never went round my last halls at uni and regret that.

i saw some work happening when i was there last but thought it might be finished by now. guess not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by york6605)
    excellent info there thanks. brocco? i will have to check this out.

i was only looking at opal II as its near the crookesmoor building where i need to be.

EDIT: just checked and thats only a bit further up from opal II so thats pretty good.

just out of interest if i wanted to go have a look round brocco how do i do this? do i need to contact shef uni accom services and arrange a day to come up?
    Brocco is favoured for postgrads because they offer 50 week contracts. Its a private company who runs it I think. They merely are affiliated with the uni.

That's the number I think: 0114 275 7955

Just ring them up and ask.

ReputationRep:
    I'd also recommend considering Broad Lane Court, as that accomodates Post Grads.
    Brocco is now not hired out by Shef Uni so you will need to apply for that seperately too.

ReputationRep:
    excellent thanks. will ring today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guy_incognito)

haha I was in Opal 2 when they were building Opal 2!! Was like there was a pneumatic drill coming through the ceiling every 5 minutes. Can't believe they're still doing stuff 2 years later!

Opal 2 is perfectly acceptable accommodation but I was pretty bored there and found it quite hard to meet people due to there being about 5 doors between your room and theirs. You're better off meeting people through societies tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    I'd also recommend considering Broad Lane Court, as that accomodates Post Grads.
    Brocco is now not hired out by Shef Uni so you will need to apply for that seperately too.
    Really? They Sold Brocco?

Actually that doesn't surprise me that much. The general aim seems to be to move out of the City Centre altogether in terms of University owned first-year accommodation and towards Endcliffe and the new Ranmoor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    Really? They Sold Brocco?

Actually that doesn't surprise me that much. The general aim seems to be to move out of the City Centre altogether in terms of University owned first-year accommodation and towards Endcliffe and the new Ranmoor.
    I don't think they owned Brocco, they leased it from a company for a number of years and the contract is up. They didn't want to renew it as Ranmoor is opening and Tapton is no closer to being sold.
    Also Brocco is in the red light district so is clearly losing its appeal!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    I don't think they owned Brocco, they leased it from a company for a number of years and the contract is up. They didn't want to renew it as Ranmoor is opening and Tapton is no closer to being sold.
    Also Brocco is in the red light district so is clearly losing its appeal!
    Yeah, the red light district extends up to near Opal 2 as well. Always some gross old woman as well.

"Alllright lovey? Special discount tonight!. Randy Rachel, tart with a heart!"

Grim.

Apparently the Tapton rents have just gone through the roof. They've realised they can't actually sell the damn thing so might as well milk as much money as possible out of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    Yeah, the red light district extends up to near Opal 2 as well. Always some gross old woman as well.

"Alllright lovey? Special discount tonight!. Randy Rachel, tart with a heart!"

Grim.

Apparently the Tapton rents have just gone through the roof. They've realised they can't actually sell the damn thing so might as well milk as much money as possible out of it.
    Yeah I think its £113-£128 or something along those lines now but I don't think it will be going that much longer now as Ranmoor and Endcliffe will pretty much have it covered. I think after that they will stop encouraging 2nd and 3rd years to come back as there will only be around enough rooms for the freshers.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.