Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So I broke up with my ex a few weeks ago but we've been trying to remain friends because we were before getting together. I had talked to her about returning some of my clothes that I had left at ther place and she was fine with it.

So, today, I met up with her and she had a bag but it wasn't just with some of my clothes - she had some gifts that I had given to her there too! I was really annoyed because I mean they were gifts, surely you don't return those?

I mean she wanted to return (excluding clothes) a big teddy bear that I had gotten her for Val's day and a few games that I had gotten her cause she was really into The Sims so I had gotten her Sims 3 when it came out and a few expansion packs too.

I was really annoyed and I told her that I was and she wanted me to just take it because apparently it was a hassle to hold and that she would take it back in a few days. I don't know about that but why would she wants to return gifts - I know it maybe hurts to look at them (although she dumped me) or whatever but it's her's - she could throw them away, give them to someone - whatever she wants - but surely not give BACK to me?

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, it's certainly not polite to return gifts. After all, what the hell are you going to do with them?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like to me she is sending you a message through returning the gifts.

ReputationRep:
    No that's not very nice of her.

If she insists that you take them then just e-bay them or take em' to cash converters. No use keeping them I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I agree it was wrong from her side, but still, when i broke up with my ex, HE CLAIMED all the gifts back, he actually called me and made me give back the gifts he gave me! All expect for a birthday gift, but if he claimed that back too... :ninja: so things can be worse

ReputationRep:
    Mm, to be honest, that's pretty lame. I don't think I've ever given gifts back. I mean, what the hell would my ex do with a bunch of dresses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    Mm, to be honest, that's pretty lame. I don't think I've ever given gifts back. I mean, what the hell would my ex do with a bunch of dresses?
    I'm confused - are you a boy, whose ex used to buy him dresses?

ReputationRep:
    your better off without her lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanghew)
    I'm confused - are you a boy, whose ex used to buy him dresses?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, okay then. I thought I was reading it wrong.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

Busted.

(Original post by L i b)
    Agreed, it's certainly not polite to return gifts. After all, what the hell are you going to do with them?
    That's exactly my point even though I'm more annoyed about giving back something like a Val's day gift because that was sort of to show I guess how much I loved her (on top of other stuff).

I mean what the hell am I gonna do with a big teddy bear holding a heart?

ReputationRep:
    She should have flogged them on eBay

ReputationRep:
    Who the hell returns computer games anyway? I can understand people returning like a teddybear or anything with sentimental value. I mean wtf. Why would it matter? It's not like you're going to look at the game every day and pine over what could have been.

ReputationRep:
    well, thinking about it, if i went to my gf's and found something and asked her who gave it to her, and she said my ex, i would be a bit annoyed, or maybe jealous.
    She does have some music concert tickets in her room that she went to with her ex and i get jealous when i see them.

ReputationRep:
    If she didn't want the teddy anymore she should have gotten rid of it almost any way but giving it to you; that's pointless and quite hurtful.

(Original post by bikipip)
    Sounds like she's just trying to make a point, perhaps she's angry with you. You broke up with her?, right? So maybe she's still upset about that.
    Nope, she broke up with me!

(Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    If she didn't want the teddy anymore she should have gotten rid of it almost any way but giving it to you; that's pointless and quite hurtful.
    Exactly - I can understand her getting rid of it and that's fine, it's her's, she can do whatever she likes with it but not try give it back!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.