Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey, i'm going to uni in october and ideally i want to lose about 3 stone/ 18kg. i'm trying to watch what i eat and i'm exercising for at least 30mins a day, a mix of cardio and pilates to tone up. would swimming be good to add? any other suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    3 stone is a lot of weight in that time, don't even bother doing pilates if you're serious about the weight loss. Just do cardio until you're sweating your arse off every day.

ReputationRep:
    The most important thing is keeping to something you are likely to stick loosely to once you lose the weight. You don't want to lose 3 stone then go back to the lifestyle you had before, it is a common problem with all diets.

Swimming is good, but only if you are going at a decent speed. The best way to burn calories is running if you can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lnjames)
    3 stone is a lot of weight in that time, don't even bother doing pilates if you're serious about the weight loss. Just do cardio until you're sweating your arse off every day.
    And yes, no pissing about when running. Forgot to say. You have to push yourself hard

ReputationRep:
    In that time, you'd be lucky to lose 2st. All I can recommend is to set achievable goals and then keep to them. Setting your sights too high will ultimately result in disappointment and possible cessation of training.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redefined)
    In that time, you'd be lucky to lose 2st. All I can recommend is to set achievable goals and then keep to them. Setting your sights too high will ultimately result in disappointment and possible cessation of training.
    hear hear

ReputationRep:
    You need to do alot more excersize.
    Swimming is a good idea, maybe start running/HIIT.

ReputationRep:
    swimming is a good option!
    - but being the summer holidays the pools will be packed unless you go very early, but if you don't mind a busy pool then go for it:yes:

grantough and redefined both have fair points.

3 stones is a lot to lose, considering july is almost half gone, and you're left with august and a bit of september before starting uni. Thats around 8 weeks to lose 42lbs!

From experience, its a lot easier to set small goals and work towards them rather than the big 3 stone mark. Make your first goal something like 5lbs lost, and then a stone, and so on.

good luck!

ReputationRep:
    It's taken me 12 months to lose 3 stone - I wasn't massive to begin with which is why the last stone was sooo hard to shift.

Be reasonable and realistic.

ReputationRep:
    i went from 14stone to 12 stone in 2 months (6ft tall male) by just running

get running. i couldnt run for **** at first. but the more i did it the better i got. helps to have some decent running shoes

ReputationRep:
    You can realistically expect to lose a max of 2 lb in the long term - ie. sustainably.

to lost 3 stone = 42 lb

42/2 = 21 weeks

21 weeks = half a year.

Since I don't know your stats, I can't give exact advice... however, a mixture of cardio and weights will be help you shed fat and build muscle. Through this, even if you don't lose weight very quickly, you will look better [ie, more toned] - plus, toned pwns skinny.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the advice guys

ReputationRep:
    This really depends on how much you weigh to begin with. If you weigh more, it will be easier.

But yes, 3 stone in 3 months is going to be very difficult, and I'm not sure if that's healthy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keyblade92)
    21 weeks = half a year.
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Just exercise your ass off. 4hr of exercise a day and the fat will melt off. Only eat when your hungry. You should be able to tell wha tproper hungry feels like. If not, don't eat for about 36hrs. How hungry you felt at about 18hrs, thats how hungry you should be feeling when you eat.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah 3 stone before Oct. is far too ambitious and not particularly healthy. I'm 186 atm and going for 160 by Oct, which is just under 2 stone.. Which is much more possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gazcobain)
    :confused:

Yeah, you're right. I'm an idiot.

Perhaps I shouldn't bother with Oxbridge...

Anyway, point still stands - 21 weeks is ~5 months. This can't realistically be achieved by October.

ReputationRep:
    I lost 3 stone between September and December last year. It involved very little drinking of alcohol, a good nutrition with the odd treat, and lots of workouts. I went the gym every day, spin classes and lots of weights, and played competetive 11 a side football every week. However at the time I was like 18st so to get to 15 it was more real excess fat, I'm aiming to lose another 3 between now and October but I know that's going to be really hard now I'm nearer my ideal weight.

But I'm averaging so far 2 hours of exercise a day, eating smaller, healthy meals regularly throughout. And cutting carbs of a night and instead having them in the day. No alcohol either...but it'll be worth it! Once I reach it though I'll have to maintain otherwise no point, ya have to change a lifestyle imo rather than just diet.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.