Turn on thread page Beta

How to not let people get to me watch

Announcements

Well recently, people have started making comments to me like calling me geek, and bookworm and stuff.

And i guess its starting to get to me, i don't know what to do. I don't want my emotional well being to effect my school work.

I wish i wasn't so sensitive

ReputationRep:
    Why is it getting to you? This is a serious question: is it because you think there is something wrong with being a geek, or because you would like to be popular, or just because you don't like people judging you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well recently, people have started making comments to me like calling me geek, and bookworm and stuff.

And i guess its starting to get to me, i don't know what to do. I don't want my emotional well being to effect my school work.

Maybe they're envious that you're able to work through your own initiative to do well?
    You shouldn't let them make you feel bad, if you want to work hard, and ultimately do well in life, then why should that be an issue for someone else?
    It's difficult, but do your best to ignore them. Ultimately, you'll be the one some day who does really well Keep your chin up.

ReputationRep:
    it probably jealousy because they see you as a mature person with discpline and commitment to your school work.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly just ignore it. They're the type of people who will probably have 6 kids by the time they turn 18.

My mum used to say the same thing to me, always in jest but ironically most of the people who said those kinds of things to me and my friends actually do have kids and aren't in work or education.

Just be yourself and be proud of who you are, you'll be glad you we're a 'geek' in a few years time when you've got a good degree and a well paid job ;].

ReputationRep:
    Just because you feel the need to study, read books and pursue intellectual interests does not make you alien to everyone else. Let them go the bars and pubs everyone else goes too, you're much more individual and in fact, are saving so much more for later life rather than wasting it up the wall now.

Remember, no one makes you feel inferior without your consent.

Geeks ftw!

ReputationRep:
    It is difficult to ignore it, but that's what you have to do. People used to say that I should ignore such comments, and I found it really hard- but, like me, one day you will really appreciate being a so called "geek". They are most likely jealous of you (I'm not going to go so far as to say that they deserve bad lives, because that wouldn't be fair). Don't let if effect your school work, just keep working hard- you won't regret it!

ReputationRep:
    Live up to your name, get good grades and shove it in their faces.

Not literally like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

LOL you should take that more as a compliment just think they're calling you smart because in the end of the day you're the one who's doing their work etc from the looks of it anyway and hard work pays off so really just try and turn it in to something posotive?

ReputationRep:
    It depends if they are just saying it, trying to make fun or if they are taunting you.

I've done exactly what I want to all through school and people think better of me for it, I think when you stop trying to impress people they may start trying to impress you, nothing should separate you from others.

I've never liked the way girls confront people but if you have the opportunity to light-heartedly ask them why after they call you a geek you can decide if they are right or wrong. If they are wrong they'll be misunderstanding and you can put them right, if they are right then you can just say yeah and laugh. They be stupid to try holding something that you want to do against you after you laugh it off.

Maybe that's helpful, maybe not.

Edit: If you are called a bookworm it normally means one of two things, either 'You like books' or 'put your book down and spend time with us'.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2009
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.