Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this ok to wear during the day on holiday in Rome? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessMeg)
    Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely take something with me then for anything like that.
    It looks lovely!

Most native Italians are wonderfully dressed, you'll fit right in .

Just a note, if you enter the Vatican you need to cover shoulders and knees as well. Also, if a nice looking Italian man dressed as a Gladiator offers to take a picture with you, don't accept! He'll attempt to charge you 30€ afterwards and will follow you for a good 30 minutes.

I also advise the ice cream parlous by the Trevi fountain at night, it will truley make your Holiday .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikipip)
    I am too, been to churches in Florence, Rome, Milan, Venice ... all the same rules. One church in Napoli even gave us disposable paper shawls.

Not sure about wedding dresses, but I'd assume it's the same. Different churches have different 'dress codes' and different levels of enforcement. Some people might choose to do it anyway as a sign of respect.
    When my cousin got married, I think she just had like a wedding dress that stops at the armpits :confused:

This was in Savona, Liguria

I remember cause it was in a church at the top of this mountain we all had to walk up because it was too narrow for cars! It was like 35+ degrees as well

ReputationRep:
    Yeh yourdress is perfect for rome..but like people have said you'll need to cover your shoulders and legs in religious places.. Dont bother bringing any heels to Rome btw..it has lots of cobbled streets and you'll only break an ankle! With stalls selling bags and things..always barter! Oh and the icecream in rome is amazing!! Also the cheapest way to get around is by using the buses/subway..i think you can buy 3day passes..but be warned the men on these buses/trains can be really pervy so try stand against edge!! Enjoy Rome!

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant for hol, not too fancy. But bear in mind places like the catacombs require you to cover certain parts up (i believe shoulders are incl. if memory serves me). But then again your guide should tell all, the Berlitz Travel Guide to Rome is fantastic and has great tips and maps. Biggest tip I give is Vatican Museum takes far longer than you think, its like 40 miles of museum.

PS Pizzeria da Baffetto IS THE BEST PIZZERIA IN THE WORLD!!!! Hand the address to a taxi driver as its down hidden streets and they are the best, tastiest and most thinnest pizzas ever - like 7 euros each too! We went about 8 which is early for Italians so had no trouble getting a table but a little while after we arrived there people were queuing for ages.

http://www.foodandwine.com/restauran...ia-da-baffetto

TSRians Guide to Rome

My views on buses when taxis are cheap: 'trust me buses arent always what they seem in Rome. This bus was supposed to go right by our hotel but apparently in the evening it doesnt (i think it must be something like rush hour rules - we double checked the number on and off and at both bus posts for routes) because we were on there like 2 hours before it came back to the original stop and it was beyond full (like Titanic preportions, double that classed as full here) and when we got to stops people were pushing up against the sides trying to get in, getting stuck in doors - it was horrendous. I had voted to take a taxi which only costed 1 euro more but my sis was like 'we can save a euro and the bus is right there', needless to say 2 hours later back at the same spot we hailed a taxi.'

ReputationRep:
    I don't normally like short dresses like that, but it looks really nice on you

Make sure you take a cardi though for going into churches etc, and perhaps a scarf that you can drape over your hair if necessary? Actually, if you're going to go into churches wear something else as that dress is too short, but for non-church sightseeing etc it looks lovely

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that looks great, and it wouldn't look out of place

Have fun!

ReputationRep:
    I love that dress, i'll be popping my Matalan cherry tomorrow I think!

ReputationRep:
    Perfect! I went to Rome last year=best place I have ever been to. Enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for all the advice!

The link to the TSR guide of Rome is really useful - never knew it existed!

Would it look strange with black shoes? I think I'll need to buy some brown ones probably!

ReputationRep:
    It's really nice, very suitable. I'm so jealous of you going to rome, i love it there.

Take a shawl - if you want to go into churches etc such as the Pantheon you're meant to wear one...people don't but it's disrespectful.
    Also, you'll burn your shoulders if you're not covered up. Midday in Rome in the middle of summer is very very hot.

ReputationRep:
    You look lovely
    It looks like a dress you could easily wear in the evening too. Good choice!

ReputationRep:
    For once, I actually like a dress that someone posts on TSR! I tend to think the majority of them are really ugly, so don't take my advice as good fashion advice!

The good thing about this dress is that in the day you can wear it with some chunky red jewellery and it'd look cool and fun. In the den you can wear it with a nice black/navy bolero and wear it with some fine silver jewellery

ReputationRep:
    no don't wear it with silver jewellrey - wear it with gold!

ReputationRep:
    I was just in Barcelona (different place I know) and you needed to have your knees and shoulders covered to go in the cathedral, my dress was just above the knee (the person did seem particularly strict and another friend who went the next day was fine) and I was told I couldn't go in. I would guess that in Rome a similar thing could apply and Rome is from what I have heard generally Rome is stricter though I admit I have never been.
    Enjoy your holiday!

ReputationRep:
    love it...looks really good

ReputationRep:
    Aw you look lovely in it, such a cute dress-have a good holiday! I'm witrh others on gold accessories

ReputationRep:
    Also, bit of advice, if you want to go to the Colloseum, go first to the forums [the bit you have to pay for - my mind has gone blank, I'm sorry. It's one of the hills] because you can get a joint ticket there for that area and the colloseum and it means you can completely bypass the massive queues for the Colloseum, and there's never much of a queue at the other place. Plus, if you're like me, when you get in the Colloseum you'll think it's not that great compared to everywhere else, and I'd have hated to think I'd queued for so long.

This isn't advice on your dress but yeh, just a tourist hint. Sorry for being off topic
    Enjoy yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Looks nice!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.