Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Abused for an accent which isn't characteristic of your race? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm Pakistani, and I've got a posh accent. I've been racially abused for being Pakistani (usually at night by drunk people) and for my posh accent. While it's not nice, I'm kind of used to being verbally abused for both things now (I don't really care anymore).

Yesterday though on the bus, I was encountered by a group of asians (by this I mean asians from the Indian subcontinent), who heard me talking on the phone. They started abusing me, criticising my accent. What really angered me was when they started to call me a traitor, betraying my own culture etc. Naturally, thinking what they were saying was crap, I said that if the absurd idea of an accent betraying my race is true, then that American baseball cap you're wearing would do the same (admittedly not the wisest of things to say, but I was pretty agitated at this point, and I didn't think reasoning with them would achieve anything). They accused me of being cheeky (and one threatened me to a fight, though I got off the bus thankfully before they did,hence no harm came of it).

I was rather sickened by this whole incident. My accent is posh (though not obscenely posh), but my parents have a hint of an Pakistani accent (my father has a pretty strong one). I do go to a public school (though my parents only earn around an average wage, they work hard to send me there), but my most people in my school don't speak as posh as I do (I'm actually not entirely sure how I got my accent, none of my relatives/siblings have the same accent). Yet whatever my accent or school, etc. that gives them no right to say I'm a disgrace to my own race. It's completely unrelated.

So it kind of got me thinking (hence I posted a thread about it, lol)/

So questions for you:
    Firstly what do you think/your views about my situation?
    If you were to see an asian with a posh accent, would you think it was a bit unusual/uncommon?
    Have you suffered a similar situation/know of others who have (refer to title)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've been attacked before for having a posh accent.

Either ignore them or just take the piss and run! That's what I do. Then again, that works because I'm fast. If you're not fast, maybe just ignore them.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QwentyJ)
    Well, I've been attacked before for having a posh accent.

Either ignore them or just take the piss and run! That's what I do. Then again, that works because I'm fast. If you're not fast, maybe just ignore them.
    But that's not really what he's saying, he's kind of analysing the situation, not looking for a way to run away/avoid the abuse (besides he's on a bus so he couldn't really run).

OK back to replying to OP:
    I've never heard of anything happening like your situation, it's slightly strange, but I guess it must happen.
    You're accent really has nothing to do with your race, that's obvious.

A lot of asians speak with a certain accent. I know that sounds incredibly racist, but it's true (perhaps it's due to the influence of their parents accents and indian radio stations). I personally don't, but a lot of asians I know, and in my school do. So perhaps your accent they might have percieved to be a bit strange.

Coconut!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Coconut!!!!!!!!
    Yes, I wondered when I'd get such a response. Yet your accent doesn't give any indication of how much I am interested/influenced by my own culture.

Of course, you might be calling me that just for a laugh (a lot of asians call each other that just for a joke).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    Yes, I wondered when I'd get such a response. Yet your accent doesn't give any indication of how much I am interested/influenced by my own culture.

Of course, you might be calling me that just for a laugh (a lot of asians call each other that just for a joke).
    Besides, why should one necessarily be interested in the culture "of their parents" (which is presumably in your case at least to some degree influenced by Britain as well as South Asia)? We're supposed to be postmodern and all!

Anyway, don't take it to heart, there's no need to analyse their cursory racism/elitism/sociolinguistic biases. Psychology has shown that many of us have prejudiced conceptions of in-groups and out-groups (those whom we identify with and otherwise) -- you merely confused their simple schema by having characteristics of both groups!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry. I met an ethnic Indian from Holland who spoke english with a Geordie accent.

ReputationRep:
    Your culture is not defined by your race in my opinion...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    Hi
    I'm Pakistani, and I've got a posh accent. I've been racially abused for being Pakistani (usually at night by drunk people) and for my posh accent. While it's not nice, I'm kind of used to being verbally abused for both things now (I don't really care anymore).

Yesterday though on the bus, I was encountered by a group of asians (by this I mean asians from the Indian subcontinent), who heard me talking on the phone. They started abusing me, criticising my accent. What really angered me was when they started to call me a traitor, betraying my own culture etc. Naturally, thinking what they were saying was crap, I said that if the absurd idea of an accent betraying my race is true, then that American baseball cap you're wearing would do the same (admittedly not the wisest of things to say, but I was pretty agitated at this point, and I didn't think reasoning with them would achieve anything). They accused me of being cheeky (and one threatened me to a fight, though I got off the bus thankfully before they did,hence no harm came of it).

I was rather sickened by this whole incident. My accent is posh (though not obscenely posh), but my parents have a hint of an Pakistani accent (my father has a pretty strong one). I do go to a public school (though my parents only earn around an average wage, they work hard to send me there), but my most people in my school don't speak as posh as I do (I'm actually not entirely sure how I got my accent, none of my relatives/siblings have the same accent). Yet whatever my accent or school, etc. that gives them no right to say I'm a disgrace to my own race. It's completely unrelated.

So questions for you:
    If you were to see an asian with a posh accent, would you think it was a bit unusual/uncommon?

Thanks

Hey mate, I'm an asian with an american accent....it's definitely normal especially for people who've lived in us or uk for a long time!! what do they expect, for us to be as fob as they are? no, accent isn't what defines your values...it's what you do.

and most of those idiots don't give a damn about love of country or love of people. they just do the motions, and in the end they're just living for themselves. so don't pay attn to them!

also look to people like jay sean (lol) for inspiration, they're successful and they don't have to fit into the fob stereotype to preserve their asian identity.

ReputationRep:
    I've been the target of abuse for most of my life because I live in wales, was born in wales, but don't speak with a welsh accent.

Then again, wales for the most part is one of the most openly racist nations in the world.

And somehow people think it's okay to elect nationalist parties when they only represent the "minority". Where were the BNP haters when Plaid Cymru got in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redemption)
    I've been the target of abuse for most of my life because I live in wales, was born in wales, but don't speak with a welsh accent.

Then again, wales for the most part is one of the most openly racist nations in the world.

And somehow people think it's okay to elect nationalist parties when they only represent the "minority". Where were the BNP haters when Plaid Cymru got in?
    Being welsh has nothing to do with the accent its whether youve done a sheep up the *******

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_leeds)
    Being welsh has nothing to do with the accent its whether youve done a sheep up the *******
    Could you mature a little now please, d'you think? :curious:

Perhaps you need to stop playing so many of those video games that you have in your sig?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_leeds)
    Was that supposed to be funny?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lrt5)
    But that's not really what he's saying, he's kind of analysing the situation, not looking for a way to run away/avoid the abuse (besides he's on a bus so he couldn't really run).

OK back to replying to OP:
    I've never heard of anything happening like your situation, it's slightly strange, but I guess it must happen.
    You're accent really has nothing to do with your race, that's obvious.

A lot of asians speak with a certain accent. I know that sounds incredibly racist, but it's true (perhaps it's due to the influence of their parents accents and indian radio stations). I personally don't, but a lot of asians I know, and in my school do. So perhaps your accent they might have percieved to be a bit strange.
    Well, he asked if anyone had been in a similar situation before and asked how trhey dealt with it. So I just told him how I rolled.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... the only place I've been made fun of for my accent was back in South Africa. Here I get the piss taken out of it, if anything. Then again, there ain't a sticker on my head saying "South African".

Just take it as a compliment, and realise how much further in life your intelligence and competences, harnessed to tolerance (which they obviously lack) and a neutral accent with which to showcase said intelligence, will get you.

- Hang in there :cool:,

- D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Could you mature a little now please, d'you think? :curious:

Perhaps you need to stop playing so many of those video games that you have in your sig?
    Or pehaps you need to grow up and not take my ******** of posts seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    Hi

So questions for you:

Thanks
    Okay, I'm half asian (my dad is Pakistani - my mum African) I'm much closer to those roots than the other so I can understand.
    People are just being stupid and ignorant. I would completely ignore them. It's utter rubbish. You're British too. My parents both have posh accents (but I'm born up north so I ended up with a Brummie accent - don't ask) and I see no real problem. It's what makes you, you. I don't see the real problem. You should be secure with yourself.

I used to get 'abused' from people who thought (due to ignorance) that I was Chinese... I don't even look Chinese in the slightest. Me and my friends were baffled... turns out the kid who did it has now been excluded for such remarks to a different student.

ReputationRep:
    I think I would get abused if my accent WAS a characteristic of my race (whatever that means).

You need to learn to ignore people like that because otherwise they'll only get to you and you'll find yourself trying to change to please them which is never a good thing.

The whole "race traitor" thing is dumb and quite frankly pathetic so try not to let others affect you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.