Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are you bothering to buy one? Do you think its useful/pointless?

I dunno if I should bother or not.

Here's the link if you don't know what I'm talking about:
    http://www.eusa.ed.ac.uk/freshers/packnpass

ReputationRep:
    Doubt it. What do you really get for £32?

ReputationRep:
    I think I probably will buy it for the pass, and just in case the rest proves useful. I don't really know Edinburgh at all so some of the stuff might be helpful.

The "stationary pack" they are also trying to flog is another kettle of fish, however...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    Doubt it. What do you really get for £32?
    Yeah I agree.
    Getting into unions etc during the week and everything else they give you won't add up to £32.

ReputationRep:
    In the year I was a fresher, the pack was £25 and then it was £5 to enter each event if you didn't have a freshers pass. So I'm assuming the £5 entry is more like £7 now. Some of the evening events are really really popular and every single fresher queues up to get into it, and then they start opperating a pass holders only policy, which could leave you in a mess. It totally depends what you want to do really, although you will end up going to some of the freshers events no doubt... I had one but 1 of my flatmates didn't which caused a few problems.

You can buy the passes in freshers week though, don't bother preordering them to come to your house. Make sure you've got some passport photos with you for the card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    You can buy the passes in freshers week though, don't bother preordering them to come to your house. Make sure you've got some passport photos with you for the card.
    Or pre-order it so that you don't have to queue to collect it. So that you have already read the itinerary and have an idea as to what you want to do and generally what is going on. So that you don't have to panic that your spare passport photo is lost at the bottom of the bag that you've still not unpacked. So that you can get in to the events on the night you arrive, because undoubtedly when you go to collect it the office will be closed, by the time you've said your goodbyes/bought food/unpacked/orientated yourself/said your hellos.

ReputationRep:
    I was also wondering about whether or not to buy this pack. Everytime I see something in pounds, I have to double it to work out the equivalent amount in Australian dollars and I freak out. I guess I'll just wait until I get there, and see if others have purchased it.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it is worth buying the pack, if it is at least £5 for entry into popular union events.

ReputationRep:
    I think the pack seems worthwhile, £32 might seem a lot in one pay but it'll probably add up to more than that during freshers week if you don't buy it anyway.

I was also checking up on pre-ordering and was wondering if it was possible to pick it up once you arrive so you don't have to pay packaging and postage (£6.82 in the UK, £14.02 in Europe), and apparently it is possible. I'll probably be doing that then, considering I'll have too much in my mind on arrival anyway.

EDIT: Then again, if you pre-order, do you send your photo in so they can create the card in advance? If not then I don't see the difference between pre-ordering and buying it once there...

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to buy one online and pick it up from Thurs 3 Sept. (as I will be going to Edinburgh beforehand)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nelien)
    EDIT: Then again, if you pre-order, do you send your photo in so they can create the card in advance? If not then I don't see the difference between pre-ordering and buying it once there...
    I seem to remember sticking my photo on myself... There was a plastic sleeve which you pulled up and stuck your photo on it and wrote you name. Although this was 2006 freshers week so they might have got more technical by now.

Personally, I placed my order online beforehand and then went to collect it in the afternoon when I arrived on the saturday. But obviously, artorscience also has a point - it depends how organised you want to be! There wasn't a queue or anything and it gave our flat the chance to have a flat expedition to Pollock Halls.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.