Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How bad is this stuff, really?

It's in most of the gums/mints I buy and I don't usually give it a second thought but the things I've read about it aren't too nice, eg:

Most consumers don't know that too much Phenylalanine is a neurotoxin and excites the neurons in the brain to the point of cellular death.

ADD/ADHD, emotional and behavioral disorders can all be triggered by too much Phenylalanine in the daily diet. If you are one in ten thousand people who are PKU or carry the PKU gene, Phenylalanine can cause irreversible brain damage and death...
    Is it being over-hyped ir is this stuff actually pretty harmful and should we avoid it?

ReputationRep:
    I thought it just made you need the loo?

ReputationRep:
    my friend has pku. she has to avoid this stuff like the plague. apparently it used to be in coke too, but they took it out because it was sending kids loopy.

i think, unless you have pku, you are making a big deal out of nothing.

ReputationRep:
    No! It's really harmful! Causes hyperactivity in children and other potentially dangerous side effects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    No! It's really harmful! Causes hyperactivity in children and other potentially dangerous side effects.
    Isn't that just a result of the amount of sugar in things like Coca Cola?

Though the stuff makes me really tired...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123450)
    Isn't that just a result of the amount of sugar in things like Coca Cola?

Though the stuff makes me really tired...
    No, I believe it is as a direct result of the chemical. I think it's banned in the US ... either way we should try to avoid it .

ReputationRep:
    "Excessive consumption may cause laxative effects", is what it always says on the packets of things that contain it.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is tested for PKU at birth so you don't need to worry about that. Is it really banned in the US? I find that difficult to believe as it is in so many foods and drinks.

I don't think it's something to worry about. If it was really that bad, do you think they would be allowed to have it in so many things? Has it ever actually done you or anyone you know any harm? there's so many other things to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard that Phenylalanine is dangerous. It's an amino acid, and makes up parts of out DNA, so it can't be toxic to humans. Except those who have Phenylketonuria and can't break it down. In sugar free mints and stuff, I'd say that the sorbitol and xylitol are worse for you because they are like laxatives lol

ReputationRep:
    it's not banned in the us. we just have warnings on anything containing it: "Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine"

ReputationRep:
    It is pretty nasty stuff really, but as the quote the OP said it's nasty if you have too much of it, but you have to remember anything can be nasty should you have too much of it, unless you have PKU it's probably a mountain from a mole hill, however if it's really got you worried (though in all fairness it probably shouldn't) there's no harm in staying away from it yourself.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    It's only serious if you have PKU, and every child in the UK at least is screened by blood test on birth. If you're not a PKU sufferer it's just converted to (I think) tyrosine pretty much instantly. If you have PKU, you're missing the enzymes for that so it forms alternative products that cause brain damage in infants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiko 1001)
    It's only serious if you have PKU, and every child in the UK at least is screened by blood test on birth. If you're not a PKU sufferer it's just converted to (I think) tyrosine pretty much instantly. If you have PKU, you're missing the enzymes for that so it forms alternative products that cause brain damage in infants.
    That sounds right to me. If you knew that without googling, I'm very impressed. :king1:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Fry and Laurie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Ah, I love that sketch! Though 'dancercising' is still my fave.

(Original post by crazyferret)
    That sounds right to me. If you knew that without googling, I'm very impressed. :king1:
    It's part of the A-level Human Biology course, so some of us here will know about it :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVeganActress)
    it's not banned in the us. we just have warnings on anything containing it: "Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine"
    The stuff is in coca cola and most fizzy drinks...

ReputationRep:
    Since I HAVE PKU, I can say safely 1) a carrier of the PKU gene would not be affected, only if you HAVE PKU (and it's recessive) will you have a problem 2) everyone else is safe. Honest to God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    The stuff is in coca cola and most fizzy drinks...
    Actually it's in everything diet. Diet coke, coke zero, pepsi max...but normal coke and pepsi are fine right now. It's everywhere in fruit squashes though, the *******s. :mad:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.