Turn on thread page Beta

How do you [legally] download your music? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AfroNathan)
    1) play.com - has the cheapest songs most of the times
    2) amazon.co.uk - 2nd cheapest songs in my opinion

Both have good sound quality/ reasonable bitrate. I did have a bit of a problem with downloading songs from amazon at first but that was because I didn't read the method properly.
    I looked at some Eminem songs on Amazon and they are pretty expensive IMO, 60-80p doesn't seem like much but 100 songs at that price is £60-80. I suppose it's because he's so popular, and other artists are cheaper?

ReputationRep:
    7digital (since most tracks are 320k, and they often have good discounts if you buy the whole album), used Amazon and MSN music a couple of times - would still choose the CD if it was cheap enough though.

ReputationRep:
    I've found nowhere that fills all the criteria I want but Amazon came pretty close when I tried it on 256kbps with decent (from what I could tell) prices.
    There's also Jamendo for free music
    CDs are still the best (well, depends on your definition of 'best' :p: ) way to get music how you want it though...
    I would never, ever use iTunes - it really is awful

ReputationRep:
    iTunes sucks. I'd just ebay some CD's if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    megadownload.com

Of course it's legal, otherwise it wouldn't be on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    I looked at some Eminem songs on Amazon and they are pretty expensive IMO, 60-80p doesn't seem like much but 100 songs at that price is £60-80. I suppose it's because he's so popular, and other artists are cheaper?
    Most of the iTunes stuff is 99p isn't it?

Also, when you consider the average album release has about 10 songs on it, costs at least £9 and usually has some filler songs that you don't like on there, then thats not really that much better value. Ok you get the physical disc, but that doesn't really bother me.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    iTunes - only because i've got an ipod though..

ReputationRep:
    Amazon - Boom Boom Pow only 29p :eek:
    If you buy off Amazon, it's so so easy to put into your iTunes. Honestly, you download a small program that does it all for you.

iTunes is really expensive in comparison, but it's worth getting an iTunes account anyway, as you can download their "single of the week" for free (though these are usually new bands no one has heard of yet).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    I don't think the songs I bought off itunes work on my mobile, because of DRM. They only work on itunes and ipods.
    Download a program called Tunebite and this can take the DRM off it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    I don't, I buy CDs.
    This. Although if there are single tracks I want I use iTunes.

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably mix play.com, Amazon and iTunes to take advantage of the best deals.

In case it matters, I listen to a lot of rap, and I don't want it censored!

ReputationRep:
    The Pirate... oh wait.

iTunes downloads are all 256kbps quality which is good (although you can get better). I have no idea about the quality of Amazon or Play.com MP3s but Amazon have a much wider range of music than iTunes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u_dun_noe)
    iTunes - only because i've got an ipod though..
    I'll be getting an iPod Touch soon, hopefully. :yep:

I'll probably sign up to a few sites though, 7digital looks pretty expensive... 79p for a skit on Eminem's album...

Play, iTunes and Amazon? I heard there was a place to get really cheap tracks and albums, oh well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AfroNathan)
    1) play.com - has the cheapest songs most of the times
    2) amazon.co.uk - 2nd cheapest songs in my opinion

Both have good sound quality/ reasonable bitrate. I did have a bit of a problem with downloading songs from amazon at first but that was because I didn't read the method properly.
    :ditto: Amazon have songs for 29p!

also HMV is good as well. ive tended to buy most from amazon and hmv.

ReputationRep:
    My first choice would be Itunes, Amazon, or Play.com .

As a few others have said, I'd only pay for songs/albums that deserve it, and that I'll listen to. Because a 30 second sample clip does **** all justice to whether or not I should buy it. I'd have recommended youtube to check up songs first, but because of that whole google argument thing we can't So if, hypothetically, you wanted to sample a song in good quality, in its whole form, before buying the album or song, apprently torrents and limewire and such software works. I'd also recommend something like Hotspot shield, to hide all your information incase you're being tracked, just incase the trackers think you're stealing the music and not sampling it.

ReputationRep:
    Buy the CDs
    Really - eBaying a CD can occasionally be cheaper than buying the tracks individually.

ReputationRep:
    I either buy CDs or download from play.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spongebob*No*Pants)
    People actually download LEGAL music these days? Shocking.
    This.
    How very odd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 22KT22)
    :ditto: Amazon have songs for 29p!

also HMV is good as well. ive tended to buy most from amazon and hmv.
    Thanks that helped a lot.

So I have to check three different Web sites before I download a song... they should make a comparison Web site! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I do it by circumventing copyright laws. I'm a naughty boy.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.