Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you [legally] download your music? Watch

ReputationRep:
    amazon or itunes are cheap and simple
    or rip it off youtube? tis free, and not *technically* illegal.

ReputationRep:
    I bought a programme called tunebite, and then download songs off napster with the free trials theve have...tune bite converts them in to mp3s legally and napster lose out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilac spooge)
    I bought a programme called tunebite, and then download songs off napster with the free trials theve have...tune bite converts them in to mp3s legally and napster lose out
    Do you need to give payment details to get the songs? And how many songs do you get on a free trial?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    How much do iTunes charge per album/track or does it vary a lot?
    I think its generally 80p per track, but the albums vary on popularity, age and number of tracks. Just have a look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dymphna)
    I think its generally 80p per track, but the albums vary on popularity, age and number of tracks. Just have a look.
    Will do. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Find friends who want the same music as you. You can share songs with five other computers or something, and then send them to your friends. Works out a lot cheaper then. Thats with iTunes though, I don't know about other places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dymphna)
    Find friends who want the same music as you. You can share songs with five other computers or something, and then send them to your friends. Works out a lot cheaper then. Thats with iTunes though, I don't know about other places.
    Ahh right, so you just send it through iTunes? That's cool.

ReputationRep:
    Do you need to give payment details to get the songs? And how many songs do you get on a free trial?
    you need to give a card number to access the free trail and then its unlimited songs during the 7 day period... (make sure you cancel the trial as soon as you sign up to it) The added benifit i had was that tunebite messed my card details up and gave me a license number before taking the money out of my account so ive got it free

ReputationRep:
    Ahh right, so you just send it through iTunes? That's cool.
    I send mine over msn, but i bet you can write them to CDs, do it by email or whatever. We generally club together with whole CDs if we can.

ReputationRep:
    I downloaded a program few days ago called youtubevideoextractor. You basically stick the youtube URL into the program, it downloads it and converts the file into mp3 format. Don't know if it's legal or not, but it's a very cool program
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XDaydreamer)
    amazon or itunes are cheap and simple
    or rip it off youtube? tis free, and not *technically* illegal.
    (Original post by Charzhino)
    I downloaded a program few days ago called youtubevideoextractor. You basically stick the youtube URL into the program, it downloads it and converts the file into mp3 format. Don't know if it's legal or not, but it's a very cool program
    I'm guessing you'd get awful quality that way though. Ugh. :o:

When I legally download songs, it's now through Amazon or Tesco Digital. I got given a £15 iTunes voucher in March and I've only bought one song with it. iTunes for some reason is stupidly slow on my computer, and so it's not worth me using it when it takes like 15+ minutes to download one track. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm mainly using Amazon at the moment because it's rediculously fast. I only download the odd song though as I prefer to buy CDs.

Play.com are pretty good for mp3s too.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I want to keep everything legal here and don't want this thread getting locked so let's stay within the law. :p:

I want to download a couple of albums and quite a lot of individual songs; where's the best place for this? I've heard people suggest Amazon and iTunes, but I've never tried anything so which ones are the best for:
    Price (most important!)
    Download speed
    Range of music
    etc.?

Thanks!
    Amazon is cheaper then iTunes. But, you can't re-download it if you happen to delete it somehow, whereas on iTunes - you can, for Free .

ReputationRep:
    I have an iPod, so when I occasionally do want to download something, its on iTunes. Price and speed are good, although the latter is dependent on the speed of your internet connection.

If you have a different type of mp3 player (and therefore cannot use iTunes) I would recommend Amazon.

ReputationRep:
    I use BitTorrent. I used to be a Pirate Bay user, but starting to switch to Mininova as the former might get shut down.

ReputationRep:
    From blogs/rapidshare.

The stuff that I buy isn't generally in mainstream digital music stores - beatport is good, as is audiojelly (electronic music)

ReputationRep:
    I either torrent or rapidshare my music

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_Hunter)
    Amazon is cheaper then iTunes. But, you can't re-download it if you happen to delete it somehow, whereas on iTunes - you can, for Free .
    Ahh right, but I could always back it up straight away.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh right, but I could always back it up straight away.
    Yeah you could. But what if both backups get lost. It's just nice to know you can get it again for free if you ever want or need to, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_Hunter)
    Yeah you could. But what if both backups get lost. It's just nice to know you can get it again for free if you ever want or need to, I suppose.
    That's cool, although I'd get a lot more songs for the money from Amazon. Meh, I'd probably compare the two before buying and just pick and choose from each. I'll have to ask the 'rents if I can spend £50 on music tracks though!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.