Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello! recently bought a motorola aura and a few t-shirts from china and i got a postal tracking code and theyve reached coventry sorting centre but it says ''item handed over to customs and excise'' does that mean theres something wrong with it?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah?

Probably fake fake fake! Considering its from China..

ReputationRep:
    Someone hid drugs in your T-shirts :eek:

ReputationRep:
    It's probably worth over £36 pounds, meaning the items are subject to import VAT.

That means you have to pay the import VAT as well as the Royal Mail handling fee, which is £8.

ReputationRep:
    They've seized it because it probably exceeds your duty allowance, meaning you need to pay import tax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikipip)
    None of the above posts are true. I order from China all the time. Unless it say "Item seized by customs" then it is fine and there is nothing to worry about. The message you have received is normal.

Item will stay in customs for up to 3 days, they check random packages. You'll know if your item has been checked when you receive it as it will look like it has been opened and resealed. Most of the time I get the 'item handed over to customs and excise' the item arrives without having been opened/checked. Also most sellers from China will mark the item as a gift to avoid tax.
    thanks for that! yeh ive bought before and thats what they do but this will be a bigger box i hope it is okay i guess the key is next time order smaller amounts! thanks alot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J4GGYBoss)
    thanks for that! yeh ive bought before and thats what they do but this will be a bigger box i hope it is okay i guess the key is next time order smaller amounts! thanks alot!
    Hey there buddy, did you recieve your package without fees ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    It's probably worth over £36 pounds, meaning the items are subject to import VAT.

That means you have to pay the import VAT as well as the Royal Mail handling fee, which is £8.
    I think the import VAT and Royal Mail handling fee is waived as long as the import VAT doesn't come to a specific amount. So although an item over £36 is subject to VAT you might not have to pay it if it's just a few quid over (and I think it varies depending on what the item is).

I don't know why they can't just make it simple. And the £8 handling fee is bloody extortionate :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Two parcels have got here untouched so far! waiting for 2 to come, so if i dont spend over 36 pounds i wont get charged VAT? Who decides how much the goods are worth the UK or china?! lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quadruple_twist)
    I think the import VAT and Royal Mail handling fee is waived as long as the import VAT doesn't come to a specific amount. So although an item over £36 is subject to VAT you might not have to pay it if it's just a few quid over (and I think it varies depending on what the item is).

I don't know why they can't just make it simple. And the £8 handling fee is bloody extortionate :rolleyes:
    Two parcels have got here untouched so far! waiting for 2 to come, so if i dont spend over 36 pounds i wont get charged VAT? Who decides how much the goods are worth the UK or china?! lol.

ReputationRep:
    None of the above posts are true. I order from China all the time. Unless it say "Item seized by customs" then it is fine and there is nothing to worry about. The message you have received is normal.

Item will stay in customs for up to 3 days, they check random packages. You'll know if your item has been checked when you receive it as it will look like it has been opened and resealed. Most of the time I get the 'item handed over to customs and excise' the item arrives without having been opened/checked. Also most sellers from China will mark the item as a gift to avoid tax.
    hey you was right!, do they check the authenticity of items?

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes, and if you are caught buying a fake item you are fined. If it is marked as a 'gift' you can claim that you didn't know what the gift was and will avoid the fine . Obviously this will not work with huge bulk orders. Ask the seller before you buy, some offer guarantees that if the item gets seized they will re-send it.
    thanks for that yeh thats what im saying i might just stick to a 40 pound order nothing over. I dont want to go crazy with large orders.

ReputationRep:
    I bought a second hand camera lens which was about £220. The sender declared the amount but said 'gift'. Customs still added about £75 in duty/fees. ****ers.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's the best thing to do. Order in small quantities. I wouldn't risk ordering in bulk to resale, you could get into serious trouble for that. :yes:
    what would you classify as bulk?, in terms of t-shirts? thank you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.