Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Well basically I finished school last Summer and took a gap year. I was actually going to take another gap year, but thought recently maybe I should try and apply to go this year.

So what on earth do I do? I have my A-Levels from August last year, do I just wait and do clearing in August? If I don't get anything then just apply again properly?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

Fill in your UCAS application now - you'll get a clearing number and then you can contact unis who you think might have vacancies. They can't formally accept you til clearing starts but informal agreements can be reached if they have vacancies.

ReputationRep:
    I think you have missed the deadline to be included even in Clearing. But be aware that Universities have underestimated the increased numbers (far more due to recession - students and jobless applying to uni to ride it out and get more quals).

This is important:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle6673674.ece

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys. And thanks for that link Jennie1987. I was always going to take 2 years out, just had this sudden thing to try out for this year, so no big deal if I don't get a place now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    I think you have missed the deadline to be included even in Clearing. But be aware that Universities have underestimated the increased numbers (far more due to recession - students and jobless applying to uni to ride it out and get more quals).
    http://www.ucas.com/students/importantdates

It looks like you can still apply until the 21st of September. Though applications from now on automatically go into clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    http://www.ucas.com/students/importantdates

It looks like you can still apply until the 21st of September. Though applications from now on automatically go into clearing.
    Main point is even if you apply - especially being late - you might not get in. Lots of courses that were in last year wont be on cleariing this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    Main point is even if you apply - especially being late - you might not get in. Lots of courses that were in last year wont be on cleariing this year.
    I would have thought you would have the same chance as people who miss their offers and also go into clearing [given that the personal statement, predicted grades, reference are equally as good].

Surely worth a shot rather than doing nothing at all (and having to wait another year).

ReputationRep:
    Better to try and fail , then fail to try in my eyes.
    Go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsraining)
    Hi everyone,

Well basically I finished school last Summer and took a gap year. I was actually going to take another gap year, but thought recently maybe I should try and apply to go this year.

So what on earth do I do? I have my A-Levels from August last year, do I just wait and do clearing in August? If I don't get anything then just apply again properly?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated!
    Get your application organised now; it will be held over until Clearing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.