Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey.
    So I'm getting all my student loan and what-not paid into my HSBC bank account for uni.
    However, I can see alot/most people are going with NatWest for their better student account.
    Is it worth me closing my HSBC account and getting all my money paid into a NatWest student account instead?
    If it's not going to be worth it then I'd rather not, as it'd be abit of a hassle changing my bank details with the dreaded SLC.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth it for you?

Will you make use of the freebies offered - the railcard, the interest-free overdraft et al?

If not, it'd be silly to change banks just because other people are doing so.

ReputationRep:
    I'd make use of the interest-free overdraft, although I think HSBC offer that too...so heh.
    Guess I'll just be staying with HSBC.
    I'm not too fussed about the freebies.

ReputationRep:
    I find HSBC a joke they're possibly the most patronizing bank I could of ever opened up an account with, when asking them about their student account I compared them to Natwest and asked them if they offered the same to which I was told
    "No we're not a charity" what kind of ******** speaks to their customers like that ?
    They also put the fear of god into about overdrafts too
    "YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY IT BACK QUICKLY" er . non. you really don't.

I'm going in on Monday and canceling my account with them pronto, thank god for natwest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steventhfc)
    They also put the fear of god into about overdrafts too
    "YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY IT BACK QUICKLY" er . non. you really don't.
    Actually, overdrafts are repayable upon demand. At any point the bank is legally entitled to demand the money back (giving you 30 days or whatever to cough up the dough), and if you don't comply they can refer you to debt collectors, screw up your credit rating for the next 6 years, get a court judgment and send in the bailiffs.

Of course, this is extreme and rare (they don't normally ask you to pay your overdraft back immediately, it only occasionally happens if you repeatedly go over your authorised limit or just take all the money out and leave the account without actually using it, etc), and the banks are to some extent required by the banking code to treat customers "fairly", but overdrafts are not a right and it is the bank's money, not yours.

HSBC seem to be occasionally pushing to charge graduates interest on their overdrafts. A couple of years back, they suddenly changed the goalposts and said that as soon as you graduated you'd be charged interest on your overdraft balance, giving 30 days notice of this. There was such outcry, and lobbying from NUS etc, that they repented. But they do appear to be cutting your interest-free portion from £1000 to £0 after 2 years unless you take an expensive packaged account.

ReputationRep:
    NatWest give you £250 per year more than HSBC on interest-free overdraft.
    NatWest give you a 5-year 16-25 Railcard, worth £130.
    NatWest give you a 4GB USB stick.
    NatWest give you £100 off Acer laptops.
    NatWest give you half-price mobile broadband from 3.
    NatWest give you a StudentDiscounts card.
    NatWest offer you a credit card with limit upto £500 (18.9% APR variable).

HSBC give you 2 years free travel insurance.
    HSBC offer you a credit card with an unknown upper limit but minimum £250 (18.9% APR variable).

Hmm...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    NatWest give you £250 per year more than HSBC on interest-free overdraft.
    NatWest give you a 5-year 16-25 Railcard, worth £130.
    NatWest give you a 4GB USB stick.
    NatWest give you £100 off Acer laptops.
    NatWest give you half-price mobile broadband from 3.
    NatWest give you a StudentDiscounts card.
    NatWest offer you a credit card with limit upto £500 (18.9% APR variable).

HSBC give you 2 years free travel insurance.
    HSBC offer you a credit card with an unknown upper limit but minimum £250 (18.9% APR variable).

Hmm...
    I think you mean asus.

either way, if you're expecting to use most of the overdraft, its best to ignore all the gimmicks (apparently halifax are one of the better banks for overdrafts)

also it may be worth looking at http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ which has comparisons and things.

ReputationRep:
    Nope he means ACER, as I'm writing this I'm using an ACER laptop.

and btw Snu I understand the rules of overdrafts but lets face it when you're a student , its never going to happen. HSBC are just a rubbish students bank to me , they serve me no use when put up against Natwest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steventhfc)
    Nope he means ACER, as I'm writing this I'm using an ACER laptop.

and btw Snu I understand the rules of overdrafts but lets face it when you're a student , its never going to happen. HSBC are just a rubbish students bank to me , they serve me no use when put up against Natwest.
    in that case they have just changed it...

http://www.natwest.com/microsites/pe...LC-HPLapTopBnr

I have been with HSBC since it was still Midland Bank, and I've never had any trouble with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gamer91)
    in that case they have just changed it...

http://www.natwest.com/microsites/pe...LC-HPLapTopBnr
    My bad then mate , sorry!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.