Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Both my parents have an issue about me going out, even during the day, they like to know who I'm with, where I'm going, what time I'm going and coming back, but the thing is I'm 20 years old for ffs!

Its three of my friends birthday on tue and want to go to a club, but that would mean me coming back home at 3am or something. The thing is everytime I ask them if I can go out my mum especially makes this face, and her attitude changes making me feel annoyed and totally puts me off going.

Anyone got any ideas on what I could do for her to let me go? its not like I go out every week or so!

ReputationRep:
    You have to stand up for her, thier are countless similar threads so your in the same position as a lot of other people. You have to be direct and agressive with them, they need to realise that your not thier little baby to protect anymore, you need to make them realise that your a full grown adult.

ReputationRep:
    Tell them to cook your sock

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cook my sock.)
    Tell them to cook your sock
    And tell them to add some salt.

ReputationRep:
    Well, as the daughter of Asian parents, they sound a bit like yours, although I'm just 16. But for you, it must be quite hard.
    If you are Asian then this is what I do, I see if any of my other Asian friends are going and then I say that that person is going so technically so should I.
    Otherwise, you could get like a good friend who your mum and dad trust and say that because she is going then you should go too.
    Or, you could just sort it out with them by telling them that you aren't doing anything wrong and you just want to be out with your mates for a good time!

ReputationRep:
    release a fox into the house, and while there is mayhem with all the chickens you own, go out and have a good time.

ReputationRep:
    How about your 20! either move out or !go out! what can your mum do? really think about it lock you in your room?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by tiana)
    Both my parents have an issue about me going out, even during the day, they like to know who I'm with, where I'm going, what time I'm going and coming back, but the thing is I'm 20 years old for ffs!

Its three of my friends birthday on tue and want to go to a club, but that would mean me coming back home at 3am or something. The thing is everytime I ask them if I can go out my mum especially makes this face, and her attitude changes making me feel annoyed and totally puts me off going.

Anyone got any ideas on what I could do for her to let me go? its not like I go out every week or so!
    You're 20 you can do whatever you like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EMck)
    How about your 20! either move out or !go out! what can your mum do? really think about it lock you in your room?
    Fair point actually. Say that to them and they should listen to you!

ReputationRep:
    Before clicking the link to this thread, I thought you must've been between 14-16, which would be normal as parents are still responsible.

When I saw 20 I lol'd, firstly what are you still doing at home? Secondly stand up for yourself, you're an adult(or atleast I hope so) do whatever the **** you want.

ReputationRep:
    you ask to go out and your 20
    just get ready and say im going to my friends thing and leave

ReputationRep:
    walk out...get drunk..go home?

ReputationRep:
    Is your mum fit?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the issue is with them not knowing. If you say let them know like in advance they might not get hissy. However you also have to remember they are your parents they do love you and maybe even if youre 20 still want to look after you. If that doesnt work poo on their bed and leave.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    you need to tell them that you are 20 now, not 10. that is way too controlling at your age. i had more freedom when i was 11, seriously.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hMrY8jysdg

ReputationRep:
    Seriously just go. Forget them

ReputationRep:
    Don't ask just tell her. Say I'm going to my friends birthday, I'll be back later, bye. If you can't do that then you haven't got much hope for your life. You'll always be under there control.

ReputationRep:
    Just tell your parents where your going and who with and what time you'll be back..say you'll ring them at a certain time to say your safe..that should be reasonable enough for them!

ReputationRep:
    Don't give them advanced warning. Just walk out the door. If they ask where your going, be honest.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.