Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Typical weather. Started yanking my gearbox out finally. . Watch

ReputationRep:
    ..And I've decided it's a pain it the sack on the zs on the cruddiest driveway ever :laugh:

Worse still the weather's taken a turn for the crappy and it's been spitting all damn day. Planning to stay here and continue nice and early sunday.

In the last hour or so I've got out the driveshafts, ripped the discs and callipers out for a change/cleanup, and maybe painting :laugh: started unbolting the top section of the exhaust which is so maddeningly awkward, and have plenty of pretty lil war wounds to match. Snapped all the bolts I've tried to get off the exhaust so far, they're THAT rusted (and it's not that old a car)

Beats paying the £500 to have it done I spose, just hope I've got enough free time to finish it!.. I must be about a third or half way there, just need to finish getting rid of the down section, unbolt the selecter rod and reverse switch, and yank the bloody thing out. debating how soon to put it back in as I want to chuck in a lightened flywheel that hasnt been made yet, and dont fancy doing all this twice (although shiney new bits should make it easier..

...weather SUCKS!

ReputationRep:
    you can yank my gearbox out any time

ReputationRep:
    And this thread title once more proves the rule that even the most innocent of statements can be twisted into innuendo.

ReputationRep:
    I'd of waited till the lightened flywheel arrives. Whats the weight of the standard one? Apparently every 1kg you lose from the flywheel is equivalent to 10kg shed out of the car itself as rotational mass plays a significant role in the acceleration of a car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by div curl F = 0)
    I'd of waited till the lightened flywheel arrives. Whats the weight of the standard one? Apparently every 1kg you lose from the flywheel is equivalent to 10kg shed out of the car itself as rotational mass plays a significant role in the acceleration of a car.
    aye, it's almost half the weight. The OE one is about 9.5kg, new one being about just under 5kg!

Am wondering if I should not bother and just concentrate on the zx though. either way, I'm not driving it at the mo so can't hurt to get it out for now, the issue is just more weather to boither putting it back together.... called it a day for now, the rear manifold looks like an absolute pig to get to, I'll probably slit my wrists if those bolts shear as I'm dehefinately not in the mood to be removing that manifold

More annoying is that the bolts are randomly 14mm and I dont have a 14mm long socket on me. grr.

Debating which car to keep at the mo before I spend too much time and money though so need to decide weather to cancel getting the flywheel made .

If I chuck a decat, flywheel, cams, induction and cat back etc at the zs, it should be running220ish bhp and doing 60 in under 6 seconds and running mid 14's and with a quaffe lsd it should outperform a lot on the track whilst staying practical and probably costing less to maintain than the zx, but then that's about two grand's worth of modding whereas the zx has double the power and more fun being rwd..

ReputationRep:
    Do you think those mods would get you under 6 seconds to 60? My Vectra (similar size and weight) is currently at 207bhp with the only major work being a lightened fly and I don't think its anywhere near 6 seconds to 60, more like 7ish. I think mine would need to be running 240 - 250 for a 6 second 0 - 60. I'm not too sure I'd want to put cams in it though, I think it would ruin the everyday performance of the car and shift everything to the top end.

ReputationRep:
    should do. the 180 is 7.3 stock to 60, someone else made those figures with those mods so it's a good guide to go by!

I've had a go on a zs with less aggressive cams and it didnt ruin the drivability imo, the vis motors kick in higher up, and the pickup was quite impressive over a standard. there was still more than enough low fown to keep it day to day, couldnt comment on a vectra though

ReputationRep:
    JAW - those mods wont dish out 220bhp, the flywheel wont even affect the total throughput at all. me guessing we have some more Supra power quotes dddc lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    JAW - those mods wont dish out 220bhp, the flywheel wont even affect the total throughput at all. me guessing we have some more Supra power quotes dddc lol
    :laugh:the fly doesnt affect power output obviously, but performance it gives more bang for buck than most other mods on the zs available.. but going by what people have found over at xpf, a decat, induction, and the usuals will see about 185-190bhp over the standard 176 or so, cams a decat, remap and potentially manifolds have been known to see up to 220

this link is from the readout someone got at the strip running the above..

plenty runinning 60 in 6.5 with an extra 35 bhp in the bank, I havent really even begun to physically delve into it , so all I can go by is what the internets says :laugh:..

Google 'bpu' for the supe. most bpu supras dyno at 370-410 bhp with no other mods.

theres also an mgb running 7.71 with a 0-60 of 3.31 secs :laugh: not that that has anything to do with anything, impressive stuff though.

ReputationRep:
    bah, am in literal spanner throwing mode and have lost me 10mm now :laugh:

I dispair at some of the annoyances with the kv6. The downpipe and rear manifold are one, there's no flange midway unless mine's been welded up. Annoyance #2. This manifold is covered with a heatshield. Annoyance #3. For some bizarre reason this heatshield is held on with 10mm bolts which arent big enough to budge without bloody rounding off. Annoyance #4. the gear steady bar is ALSO drafted to the box with a 9/10mm bolt (I say 9, a 9mm head just doesnt fit). Theres no space to hammer on a smaller socket. bloody awkward thing.

Wouldn't mind, but I cant get a dremel or anything in there, and due to the awkard shape, a hacksaw blade is a no no. These two teeny bolts are the last two to undo at that :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaw)
    bah, am in literal spanner throwing mode and have lost me 10mm now :laugh:

I dispair at some of the annoyances with the kv6. The downpipe and rear manifold are one, there's no flange midway. Annoyance #2. This manifold is covered with a heatshield. Annoyance #3. For some bizarre reason this heatshield is held on with 10mm bolts which arent big enough to budge without bloody rounding off. Annoyance #4. the gear steady bar is ALSO drafted to the box with a 9/10mm bolt. Theres no space to hammer on a smaller socket. bloody awkward thing.
    I've seen a G-clamp used to force a smaller socket on if you really have to resort to such means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    lara, old bean we may be talking in barryhorsepowah rather than brake horsepower here ...

www.barryboys.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    lara, old bean we may be talking in barryhorsepowah rather than brake horsepower here ...

www.barryboys.co.uk
    :laugh: no it gives 320 at the wheels BaHP, innit!

bah search up on it, god knows I can't be bothered to go into it here :laugh:

did think of G clamps, no chance in the space given though will have to work around it and mutter under my breath

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaw)
    should do. the 180 is 7.3 stock to 60, someone else made those figures with those mods so it's a good guide to go by!

I've had a go on a zs with less aggressive cams and it didnt ruin the drivability imo, the vis motors kick in higher up, and the pickup was quite impressive over a standard. there was still more than enough low fown to keep it day to day, couldnt comment on a vectra though

Well just thinking aloud really. But with regards to stock times, I'd always say add 0.5 - 1.0 seconds and you have the correct time. My Vectra supposedly did 0 - 60 in 7.6 with its 2.5 engine so you'd think that upping it for a 3.0 with a good bit more power and much more torque, enlarged throttle body, flywheels and a few other small pieces would have me well into 6 seconds but realistically I don't think it is. Another thing to consider is the Turbo'd Astra VXR which does 0 - 60 in the low 6 seconds which would probably have a good bit more torque and power (around 240bhp and 240lb-ft) than a smallish NA 6 cylinder, especially with the peak torque being made very low down.

Didn't they do a 0 - 60 test on a couple of stock cars on Fifth Gear a few months ago and the upshot was average joe would struggle to get within a second of the posted times.

ReputationRep:
    This thread did NOT deliver... *slinks out, disappointed*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by div curl F = 0)
    Well just thinking aloud really. But with regards to stock times, I'd always say add 0.5 - 1.0 seconds and you have the correct time. My Vectra supposedly did 0 - 60 in 7.6 with its 2.5 engine so you'd think that upping it for a 3.0 with a good bit more power and much more torque, enlarged throttle body, flywheels and a few other small pieces would have me well into 6 seconds but realistically I don't think it is. Another thing to consider is the Turbo'd Astra VXR which does 0 - 60 in the low 6 seconds which would probably have a good bit more torque and power (around 240bhp and 240lb-ft) than a smallish NA 6 cylinder, especially with the peak torque being made very low down.

Didn't they do a 0 - 60 test on a couple of stock cars on Fifth Gear a few months ago and the upshot was average joe would struggle to get within a second of the posted times.
    hmmm going by that example though, I wouldnt say it's too unreasonable. the VXR produces 236bhp and similar torque figure over the zs's 177.. Obviously 0-60 has more factors than that, but if the mods *did* raise figures like people have claimed/shown, plus the transmition mods, then its not unreasonable to expect a 0-60 figure in the same playing field.. would be interested to see dyno results to support though.

its not as black and white as that obviously, but for every person showing a time over par, you've got another getting under. A couple of people have claimed standard times of 7.0 ish on well maintained 180's They both weigh about the 1200kilo's mark..

(Original post by Devil in Your Details)
    This thread did NOT deliver... *slinks out, disappointed*
    well sorry. I couldnt take pictures because my hands were too greasy

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.