Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls: what's your ideal clothes size? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocketfulofposy)
    I'm at it, I'm a 12, which as I'm 6ft 2 is perfect for me.

Any smaller and I'd look ill.
    I was going to say height comes into it, people who are 5'0 are a hell of a lot more likely to be a size 6 than someone who is 5'8. Frankly, if someone is 5'8 and a size 6 they are slightly too skinny. A size 12 at 6f2 is a great size, Yasmin Le Bon and Cindy Crawford etc are that at about that height.

I am approx 5'7 and a size 8 (sometimes 10 owing to length on top) and 12 on the bottom, due to hips. I am happy with that, any smaller and I would be too skinny, I am already very toned and that is more important to me than fitting in a certain size. I do a lot of sports, so the sport I am doing most at the time (i.e. swimming, running) dictates my body shape, but I will always have hips, (some) boobs and a waist!

ReputationRep:
    Size 8 for 5 ft 4 in people.

Size 5 for petite people

Size 10 for taller than 5ft 8 in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cat-x)
    very true... buying jeans is a nightmare!! the topshop tall sections quite good though

I'm 5'11 and a size 10 which is ok.
    :eek: I had no idea that Topshop do such long lengths now, this is what happens when you currently live in another country, and have lived without Topshop for so long. (There is one in the US now, but only in New York).

I'm in the UK at the moment, am for the whole summer, so I'm going to head to Topshop on Monday and look at their tall collection.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sequin12)
    Im 5ft 11 and my ideal dress size varies, I would love to be a 6, however this isnt possible as I have rather large boobs and matching hips, so im an 8 size 6 around the waist tho.

My inside leg is 36 and i just avoid wearing jeans or trousers. I always wear a pair of 4"+ heels aswell, I like being able to look over everyone.
    C'mon, do not be unrealistic! A size 6 (overall) at 5'11 would mean you looked very much too skinny. A size 6 waist is OK I suppose, but do not strive to be an overall size that would not suit your height...at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmalev)
    im a size 8, but my dream size would be 00

:|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nhala)
    I was going to say height comes into it, people who are 5'0 are a hell of a lot more likely to be a size 6 than someone who is 5'8. Frankly, if someone is 5'8 and a size 6 they are slightly too skinny. A size 12 at 6f2 is a great size, Yasmin Le Bon and Cindy Crawford etc are that at about that height.

I am a size 8 (sometimes 10 owing to length on top) and 12 on the bottom, due to hips. I am happy with that, any smaller and I would be too skinny, I am already very toned and that is more important to me than fitting in a certain size.
    I agree. It's not just height either, it's also body shape, and I think a lot of women forget that.

Some women strive for a clothes size, that quite frankly, given their body shape they'll never achieve.

There is no such thing as an ideal size, just an ideal size for each person, and I wish more women realised that.

I have been a size 10, and I looked ill, so I'll never go back there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nhala)
    C'mon, do not be unrealistic! A size 6 (overall) at 5'11 would mean you looked very much too skinny. A size 6 waist is OK I suppose, but do not strive to be an overall size that would not suit your height...at all.
    However if i was a size 6 overall it would be far easier for me to buy clothes, if i want a dress atm, it will just sag at my waist, if i was a size 6 overall, easy! I personally dont think i look too thin, I care more about building up muscle than loosing weight, it was a question about ideal size, rather than size you are gonna starve to be.

ReputationRep:
    Currently 8 and happy with it. There is no 'ideal' size - depends on height, shape etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at it, I'm a 12, which as I'm 6ft 2 is perfect for me.

Any smaller and I'd look ill.
    This, though I'm 3 inches shorter. Still, I think maybe I might like to tone my stomach a bit, but 12 is ideal really

ReputationRep:
    I agree. It's not just height either, it's also body shape, and I think a lot of women forget that.

Some women strive for a clothes size, that quite frankly, given their body shape they'll never achieve.

There is no such thing as an ideal size, just an ideal size for each person, and I wish more women realised that.

I have been a size 10, and I looked ill, so I'll never go back there.
    Seconded. I lost weight drastically when I was about 15 and got into size 10's on the bottom...I looked very ill. Plus you could see my ribs a bit on the top half, for me to be a size 10 on the bottom I have to be approaching anorexic!

I am bigger on the bottom half due to genes and sport, though I am lean, so really do agree with you here. My friend who is about an inch smaller than me can easily fit into a size 8/10 on the bottom as she has no hips, bum and stick/straight up-and-down thin legs and even though I am toned/slim, I am never going to be devoid of hips, bum and curvy legs!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 10/12 but I would love to be an 8/10 ... *sshh*

ReputationRep:
    However if i was a size 6 overall it would be far easier for me to buy clothes, if i want a dress atm, it will just sag at my waist, if i was a size 6 overall, easy! I personally dont think i look too thin, I care more about building up muscle than loosing weight, it was a question about ideal size, rather than size you are gonna starve to be.
    I have the same prob in that my waist is really slim and whilst the rest of me is, my clothes sag around my waist. But tbh, I would rather that then to lose weight/muscle mass from the rest of my body that would mean my body is the same size, I would be way too skinny.

I know it was about ideal size, but I was saying I think if you were a size 6 overall you would be having to deprive yourself somewhat at your height, unless you do not have many curves. A size 6 waist can be natural, as women of certain shapes (hourglass, pear etc) tend to be quite a bit slimmer in this area.

Just use a waist belt, it disguises the extra fabric around the middle :p: I do!

ReputationRep:
    Im 5ft 11 and my ideal dress size varies, I would love to be a 6, however this isnt possible as I have rather large boobs and matching hips, so im an 8 size 6 around the waist tho.

My inside leg is 36 and i just avoid wearing jeans or trousers. I always wear a pair of 4"+ heels aswell, I like being able to look over everyone.
    You are crackers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nhala)
    I have the same prob in that my waist is really slim and whilst the rest of me is, my clothes sag around my waist. But tbh, I would rather that then to lose weight/muscle mass from the rest of my body that would mean my body is the same size, I would be way too skinny.

I know it was about ideal size, but I was saying I think if you were a size 6 overall you would be having to deprive yourself somewhat at your height, unless you are very much devoid of some curves. A size 6 waist can be natural, as women of certain shapes (hourglass, pear etc) tend to be quite a bit slimmer in this area.

Just use a waist belt, it disguises the extra fabric around the middle :p: I do!

I think all my wardrobe consists of waist belts or high waisted skirts, i would rather put on weight than lose any, (i have a friend, about 2" shorter and a size 4 or smaller she looks snappable and ill) and that is definately a look I want to avoid.

ReputationRep:
    An 8 would be nice, I'm a size ten now though.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

On the whole I like it though, apart from the lack of tall guys, as they tend to get snapped up by shorter girls. Leave the tall guys for us tall girls! :rofl:
    :yes: There doesn't seem to be many tall guys around....and then they have really short gf's!!

ReputationRep:
    I think all my wardrobe consists of waist belts or high waisted skirts, i would rather put on weight than lose any, (i have a friend, about 2" shorter and a size 4 or smaller she looks snappable and ill) and that is definitely a look I want to avoid.
    :yes: Good, good, Waist belts are a saviour, though wish that quite a few were not one size to fit all, as they kinda fall down on me sometimes, have to hoik them right up! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm 10/12 and i'm 5ft4 but I'm reasonably curvy so I don't mind so much. I'm happy with the size I am.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: I'm used to that reaction.
    Perfect girl for me then

Im 6ft 6/7ish!

Whoop Big girls do exist!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.