Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know where it is possible to get American food and sodas in London?

I know some on-line stores in the UK, but they generally sell only bulk amounts, and I really don't feel like splashing out £20 on 14 cans of American Dr Pepper/Mountain Dew etc., would prefer to get just 2-3 cans each :confused:

Thx for help everyone

ReputationRep:
    they sell dr pepper in most shops here

ReputationRep:
    if you'tre after sodas/sweets you could try cybercandy (google it) they have a shop in Bighton and one in the Leics sq area (i think)

ReputationRep:
    Cybercandy, but its expensive. They sell cereals and poptarts downstairs
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    yeah, cybercandy sell a 500 gram box of american cereal for £6.80 i think - bloody extortionists!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayman)
    they sell dr pepper in most shops here
    I know, but it's a totally different drink that in Europe and in the USA :yep:

If you're in London, try some cornershops - usually those that are owned by people from India or Pakistan or some African countries, the ones you have lot of on East London's high-streets, have lots of interesting stuff - Jamaican colas, Fanta from Arabic countries etc., you can get Cherry 7-Up in there as well (not widely available in the UK, even though apparently distributed by Britvic) and Dr Pepper from the Netherlands - just take a look at the bottle, if it starts with Dutch information, it's a foreign one. Same with the takeaways, those greasy ones quite often seem to store canned Dr Pepper from abroad (usually The Netherlands again) - tastes completely different than the British one. UK Dr Pepper is more of a Coca Cola Cherry flavour, whereas the "Continental" one (I had a chance to drink it in Poland, NL and Germany) is a completely different drink, kinda hard to describe. But yeah, it's a game of chances, as the foreign D Pepper is not offered by Tescos/Sainsburys/Iceland or any other major retailer here, you need to try the small shops for it. Oddly enough, it doesn't tend to be extortionately priced and is usually of the same price than any other drink offered, so it seems those people are not aware of the gems they actually have in store :teeth:

I've heard lots of good things about American Dr Pepper but haven't ever tried it - curious whether it's the same as in Europe or is it yet another different drink than the Continental and British one :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I know that House of Fraser's foodhall sells some american food.

Lucky Charms cereal is £5 there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    I know, but it's a totally different drink that in Europe and in the USA :yep:

If you're in London, try some cornershops - usually those that are owned by people from India or Pakistan or some African countries, the ones you have lot of on East London's high-streets, have lots of interesting stuff - Jamaican colas, Fanta from Arabic countries etc., you can get Cherry 7-Up in there as well (not widely available in the UK, even though apparently distributed by Britvic) and Dr Pepper from the Netherlands - just take a look at the bottle, if it starts with Dutch information, it's a foreign one. Same with the takeaways, those greasy ones quite often seem to store canned Dr Pepper from abroad (usually The Netherlands again) - tastes completely different than the British one. UK Dr Pepper is more of a Coca Cola Cherry flavour, whereas the "Continental" one (I had a chance to drink it in Poland, NL and Germany) is a completely different drink, kinda hard to describe. But yeah, it's a game of chances, as the foreign D Pepper is not offered by Tescos/Sainsburys/Iceland or any other major retailer here, you need to try the small shops for it. Oddly enough, it doesn't tend to be extortionately priced and is usually of the same price than any other drink offered, so it seems those people are not aware of the gems they actually have in store :teeth:

I've heard lots of good things about American Dr Pepper but haven't ever tried it - curious whether it's the same as in Europe or is it yet another different drink than the Continental and British one :confused:
    sounds interesting. might need to check the local corner shop for some later lol. i tried strawberry flavoured fanta once in dubai. now that is something to look for!

ReputationRep:
    they sell fries everywhere....

ReputationRep:
    If by American food you just mean things like sweets, drinks, cereals and so on there should be some things you can get anywhere. Drinks shouldn't be a problem, budweisers, Dr. Pepper, whatever are all sold here in many shops.

This site http://www.americansweets.co.uk/index.asp sells American groceries, again, it's quite expensive - £5.99 for a box of sugary cereal (you don't have to buy in bulk though). Though I think I remember seeing on the simpsons the Kellog's special K symbol, so there will be cornflakes and so on in shops too.

American fast food shouldn't be a problem in London, Mc Donalds, Burger Kings and so on are everywhere

Though English food shouldn't be too different, the cultures are quite similar anyway, maybe give it a try?

ReputationRep:
    American food? Don't they just stuff cheese or sugar into everything?

ReputationRep:
    bentalls in kingston has an american food section, although like most places it is expensive. £4.50 for a box of lucky charms

ReputationRep:
    sounds interesting. might need to check the local corner shop for some later lol. i tried strawberry flavoured fanta once in dubai. now that is something to look for!
    Yeah I used to live near a high street in East Ham in London last year, they had loads of cornershops and I had tried tons of wicked stuff. Unfortunately where I live now (around Canary Wharf) it's purely residential so you only have a few insanely priced delis without anything interesting much whatsoever :redface:

But yeah, those cornershops are awesome, it's good to have your eyes open as the more shabby the shop is, the higher the chance for you to find something interesting to drink there! :awesome:

Maybe not "American", but still things that are not widely available in the UK. I've just been wondering - where do they get that stuff from? It's got to be some unofficial chain of distribution, as the large stores don't offer the stuff that most cornershops do - is it some sort of a private/self-imported stuff or what? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    TGI Fridays?

ReputationRep:

They have that in every Arab store don't they?
    There's an Arab store next to where I live that always has it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben F)
    If by American food you just mean things like sweets, drinks, cereals and so on there should be some things you can get anywhere. Drinks shouldn't be a problem, budweisers, Dr. Pepper, whatever are all sold here in many shops.
    Yeah, I mean, I've been living here for 2 years already ;-)

The funny thing is that - as mentioned previously - even the same brands and (supposedly) the same products taste different. It's the same with Coca-Cola (apparently there are different sweeteners used in the American versions... corn syrup? correct me if I'm wrong, though), Dr Pepper is supposedly a totally different drink than the one sold here (UK Dr Pepper is different to the Continental one - that's what I know 100%, checked it and had read other people's opinion on it as well), etc. etc.

There is something like "flavor preferences" of every certain nation (not sure if it's the actual term used in the industry, lol) - and so you've got companies manufacturing the same brands but adjusting the flavor/aroma of it to cater to the general preferences of a given population. Sometimes it's just tweaked a little bit, sometimes it results in a completely different product with the same name/branding (i.e. Dr Pepper). That's why I e.g. always check the stickers on Dr Pepper bottles or check the Dr Pepper cans while shopping in small stores here, in London - in hopes to find an imported version from Germany/The Netherlands, that tastes (in my opinion) much better than the British one that's too Cherry Coke-like for my liking. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    Does anyone know where it is possible to get American food and sodas in London?

I know some on-line stores in the UK, but they generally sell only bulk amounts, and I really don't feel like splashing out £20 on 14 cans of American Dr Pepper/Mountain Dew etc., would prefer to get just 2-3 cans each :confused:

Thx for help everyone
    There's a McDonalds on every corner. Go wild.

ReputationRep:
    http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Americ...34Q2ec0Q2em322

I believe you can buy by the can from here.

There also have a shop in Milton Keynes, as well as doing online sales via e-bay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    They have that in every Arab store don't they?
    There's an Arab store next to where I live that always has it.
    yeah i think its an arab drink ? not many arab stores where i live. so this leaves me to beg the question...will you get me some :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sparkle*)
    Cybercandy, but its expensive. They sell cereals and poptarts downstairs
    Yup, it's in Covent Garden. It's pretty good but as they said, expensive.

Selfridges do imported foods too, but again, it's expensive.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.