Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasper.Paterson)
    There's a McDonalds on every corner.
    :facepalm:

McDonald's doesn't offer anything "American" in particular. Plus, I find them to have ridiculously small portions - even compared to the ones in Poland where I used to live most of my life, the burgers seem to be oddly... Tiny? :confused:

Plus they have general drinks manufactured in the UK, and I'm looking for something genuinely American, just to check the difference between their stuff and our [British] stuff (if there is any difference - and there probably is, if there wasn't there would be no right for the on-line stores to exist IMO, plus I already found out that e.g. UK-made Dr Pep is a totally different drink here) :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayman)
    yeah i think its an arab drink ? not many arab stores where i live. so this leaves me to beg the question...will you get me some :p:

Hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahah.

Cough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milliondollarcorpse)
    Yup, it's in Covent Garden. It's pretty good but as they said, expensive.

Selfridges do imported foods too, but again, it's expensive.
    Yea I mean I don't expect it to have the same prices as the local food (obviously, lol) - but I think I can fork out something just to get a bit of a treat :redface:

Thanks a lot for everyone's help, people

ReputationRep:
    Selfridge's food hall also sell some American and other foreign, not widely available food. It is however, inevitably, not cheap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahah.

Cough.
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    :facepalm:

McDonald's doesn't offer anything "American" in particular. Plus, I find them to have ridiculously small portions - even compared to the ones in Poland where I used to live most of my life, the burgers seem to be oddly... Tiny? :confused:

Plus they have general drinks manufactured in the UK, and I'm looking for something genuinely American, just to check the difference between their stuff and our [British] stuff (if there is any difference - and there probably is, if there wasn't there would be no right for the on-line stores to exist IMO, plus I already found out that e.g. UK-made Dr Pep is a totally different drink here) :awesome:
    I was joking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    I know, but it's a totally different drink that in Europe and in the USA :yep:

If you're in London, try some cornershops - usually those that are owned by people from India or Pakistan or some African countries, the ones you have lot of on East London's high-streets, have lots of interesting stuff - Jamaican colas, Fanta from Arabic countries etc., you can get Cherry 7-Up in there as well (not widely available in the UK, even though apparently distributed by Britvic) and Dr Pepper from the Netherlands - just take a look at the bottle, if it starts with Dutch information, it's a foreign one. Same with the takeaways, those greasy ones quite often seem to store canned Dr Pepper from abroad (usually The Netherlands again) - tastes completely different than the British one. UK Dr Pepper is more of a Coca Cola Cherry flavour, whereas the "Continental" one (I had a chance to drink it in Poland, NL and Germany) is a completely different drink, kinda hard to describe. But yeah, it's a game of chances, as the foreign D Pepper is not offered by Tescos/Sainsburys/Iceland or any other major retailer here, you need to try the small shops for it. Oddly enough, it doesn't tend to be extortionately priced and is usually of the same price than any other drink offered, so it seems those people are not aware of the gems they actually have in store :teeth:

I've heard lots of good things about American Dr Pepper but haven't ever tried it - curious whether it's the same as in Europe or is it yet another different drink than the Continental and British one :confused:
    Nah, the dutch Dr. Pepper is naaaaaaasty, trust me :sadnod:
    But I didn't know there was a difference between in taste with the U.K one.
    Never tried it, cause I was put off, lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    Cybercandy in Covent Garden

Selfridges

Panzers deli in St Johns Wood (I think) google panzers deli, they have a website)

Its where I get my fix of American foods from my childhood anyway (mum is American)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geminibubblegum)
    if you'tre after sodas/sweets you could try cybercandy (google it) they have a shop in Bighton and one in the Leics sq area (i think)
    Beat me to it, the London one is just off of Covent Garden.

ReputationRep:
    Chicken shop.

ReputationRep:
    There's a food shop called Partridges on the King's Road in Chelsea, and they sell lots of American sweet, cereals, sauces and bits and pieces

ReputationRep:
    Selfridges? I've seen some American stuff there... probably rather expensive though.
    In Watford (:awesome:) they have a little shop called Sweets From Heaven, which sells all sorts of Oreos and Pop Tarts, Mountain Dew etc. Think they have a shop in Westfield too. Although again that's kinda expensive... £7 for a box of Pop Tarts? :nn:

It's probably best to order online :\

There's a great place called Ed's Diner near the Trocadero which I know is a restaurant (well, a diner) but they do amazing milkshakes and burgers...

ReputationRep:
    i think Lidl sometimes sells american/european food and drinks

or was it Farmfoods?? =S

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    American food? Don't they just stuff cheese or sugar into everything?
    Well actually sugar is stupidly expensive in the US so a lot of food products (especially soft drinks) just use syrup instead.

harrods sells a lot of stuff

ReputationRep:
    Can't you just tolerate the negligible difference and indulge yourself when you go over to the USA?

ReputationRep:
    american fizzy pop is rank because it uses maize derived 'high fructose corn syrup' for sweetening rather than beet ( most British and many European bottlers) or cane sugar ( a very few US bottlers plus the caribbean and central american bottlers)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.