Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can someone tell me (with as much detail as possible please) what mental health nurses do in hospitals, more specifically psychiatric wards etc.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    caring for patients who are experiencing acute mental distress or have an enduring mental health problem;
    assessing and talking to patients about their problems and discussing the best way to plan and deliver their care;
    building relationships with patients to encourage trust, while listening to and interpreting their needs and concerns;
    ensuring the correct administration of medication, including injections, and monitoring the results of treatment;
    responding to distressed patients in a non-threatening manner and attempting to understand the source of distress;
    applying the 'de-escalation' approach to help people manage their emotions and behaviour;
    preparing and participating in group and/or one-to-one therapy sessions, both individually and with health professionals;
    encouraging patients to take part in art, drama or occupational therapy where appropriate;
    organising social events aimed at developing patients' social skills;
    preparing and maintaining patient records;
    producing care plans and risk assessments for individual patients;
    ensuring that the legal requirements appropriate to a particular setting or group of patients are observed;
    working with families and patients' carers, helping to educate them and the patient about their mental health problems;
    promoting a 'recovery' based approach to care.
    ref: http://www.prospects.ac.uk/p/types_o...escription.jsp

this description helped me when i was applying but also sums up what I have seen in practice.

xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Blood*And*Chocolate*)
    can someone tell me (with as much detail as possible please) what mental health nurses do in hospitals, more specifically psychiatric wards etc.

thanks
    what herbal bug said!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by herbal bug)
    ref: http://www.prospects.ac.uk/p/types_o...escription.jsp

this description helped me when i was applying but also sums up what I have seen in practice.

xx
    thank you soo much you have been very helpful to me and I really appreciate it!

I am a bit concerned about these psycometric tests mentioned on a link on that page though - do they always do these? I am really terrible at aptitude tests!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Blood*And*Chocolate*)
    thank you soo much you have been very helpful to me and I really appreciate it!

I am a bit concerned about these psycometric tests mentioned on a link on that page though - do they always do these? I am really terrible at aptitude tests!
    You shouldnt have to do any-I've never had to and see no real reason for them giving them to student nurses. the links are normally about other related topics dont worry.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2009

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.