Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    can someone tell me (with as much detail as possible please) what mental health nurses do in hospitals, more specifically psychiatric wards etc.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    caring for patients who are experiencing acute mental distress or have an enduring mental health problem;
    assessing and talking to patients about their problems and discussing the best way to plan and deliver their care;
    building relationships with patients to encourage trust, while listening to and interpreting their needs and concerns;
    ensuring the correct administration of medication, including injections, and monitoring the results of treatment;
    responding to distressed patients in a non-threatening manner and attempting to understand the source of distress;
    applying the 'de-escalation' approach to help people manage their emotions and behaviour;
    preparing and participating in group and/or one-to-one therapy sessions, both individually and with health professionals;
    encouraging patients to take part in art, drama or occupational therapy where appropriate;
    organising social events aimed at developing patients' social skills;
    preparing and maintaining patient records;
    producing care plans and risk assessments for individual patients;
    ensuring that the legal requirements appropriate to a particular setting or group of patients are observed;
    working with families and patients' carers, helping to educate them and the patient about their mental health problems;
    promoting a 'recovery' based approach to care.
    ref: http://www.prospects.ac.uk/p/types_o...escription.jsp

this description helped me when i was applying but also sums up what I have seen in practice.

xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Blood*And*Chocolate*)
    can someone tell me (with as much detail as possible please) what mental health nurses do in hospitals, more specifically psychiatric wards etc.

thanks
    what herbal bug said!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by herbal bug)
    ref: http://www.prospects.ac.uk/p/types_o...escription.jsp

this description helped me when i was applying but also sums up what I have seen in practice.

xx
    thank you soo much you have been very helpful to me and I really appreciate it!

I am a bit concerned about these psycometric tests mentioned on a link on that page though - do they always do these? I am really terrible at aptitude tests!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Blood*And*Chocolate*)
    thank you soo much you have been very helpful to me and I really appreciate it!

I am a bit concerned about these psycometric tests mentioned on a link on that page though - do they always do these? I am really terrible at aptitude tests!
    You shouldnt have to do any-I've never had to and see no real reason for them giving them to student nurses. the links are normally about other related topics dont worry.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.