Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

should i buy GHD's or another brand? Watch

ReputationRep:
    i need new hair straightners as my old ones have died. i have wavy hair and i want a hair straightner that will keep my hair straight all day. however, i want one that will not damage my hair too much. i live in the UK too. my budget is anything under £150. thanks. what should i buy? im stuck...

ReputationRep:
    GHD
    You can buy sprays that protect your hair from heat damage. Spray some on before you straighten your hair and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    GHDs are really good at straightening, but in the past I have found that they totally damaged my hair, even with heat defence sprays. I use a cheap Babyliss one, and despite the low price, it works really well and doesn't damage my hair as much as the GHDs did. It's up to you though and depends on your hair. For example, if your hair is really thick then you might want to go for GHDs

ReputationRep:
    The pink GHD's to me are the best! Keep the hair straight for the full day!

They are around the £115 price range - deff go for them!

ReputationRep:
    Go for cheaper ones.

ReputationRep:
    GHDs.
    I had FHIs once and they were rubbish!

ReputationRep:
    hey, i had the same problem last week, however, I gave in to the legendary ghd's! I went on ebay and bought the GHD Pure, (the white ones), you get a free case its a lovely set. And of course the straighteners are immense!
    I got them second hand for £60 with its gurantee. Been used once or twice, but I saved myself spending an extra £60.
    Look on ebay, but I definately say go for GHD's.
    Over the years i've bought many hair straighteners of different brands, and probably spend a fortune. I know these are going to last and they also have safety features too. Now they switch off if they havnt been used in 30 minutes. Ideal for me because I keep burning my carpet!! x

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I really would recommend you get GHD's. They are the most well respected within the hair world. I have very curly hair and these mantain straightness all day long! Buy some off ebay, it really is a lot cheaper. I got mine for £80, and they were RRP £120! Research which one is best for your hair type first, though. And invest in a good heat protection spray. I believe GHD actually do a heat protection spray, which is said to be really good.
    Hope I helped. X
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    GHDs are superb quality. I have had mine for 4 years and despite using them 3 times a week (at least) they are still working very well and looking perfect. I had a cheaper pair prior to them - they took longer to heat up and the plates were poor. You get what you pay for - and they're worth it.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...3EBABYLISS.htm

These. They keep my hair straight all day and don't snag my hair. I paid quite a lot more for mine though :rolleyes: Whenever I've had my hair straightened with GHDs at salons it never stays straight. Perhaps my hair is just no good with it lol. (I have a lot of hair and it's wavy but thin). 5 year manufacturer guarantee too. And also, any straightener will damage your hair. Just use a heat protector spray.

ReputationRep:
    Remington or Babyliss. I absolutely detest GHDs, you're only paying for the label.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I was really disappointed; thought they were the same as any other ceramics and nothing special. You're just paying for the label. I've had a pair of Remington wet2straights for around 3 years, and I still use them. I got GHDs as a Christmas present, but still use my old Remingtons. Imo they're better.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I have 2 pairs of GHDs and numerous of other brands that I've been bough as presents etc and it's always the GHDs that are by far the best. My slim pair is about 5/6 years old now and still going strong, they're a bit faded and you cant see the GHD logo anymore but they are still frickin amazing and just as hot as my new pair (which I bought because they're the wider ones)

ReputationRep:
    Get GHDs!

When I bought them off the official website they had an offer on where you paid £115 for the new GHDs and you got a set of three sprays (one heat defence, one shampoo and one styling spray/serum) with a nice little bag to keep it all in :king1:

ReputationRep:
    Meh, GHDs are over-rated - whenever the hairdresser uses them on my hair it goes fairly limp and dry. I use Remington Wet2Straights which more lock in moisture to your hair rather than burning it off. They're cheaper too. I've had mine for 3 years now with no problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Tbh I was really disappointed; thought they were the same as any other ceramics and nothing special. You're just paying for the label. I've had a pair of Remington wet2straights for around 3 years, and I still use them. I got GHDs as a Christmas present, but still use my old Remingtons. Imo they're better.
    yay, me too! Pretty much exactly the same story with my Remingtons :woo:

ReputationRep:
    i reccommend babyliss

i have babyliss pro 230 straighteners and i love them, they dont snag my hair like other straighteners do
    i have had them for over 2 years and use them a couple of times a week and only take 15 seconds to heat up and you can move the dial to put them on any heat temp you want

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...3EBABYLISS.htm

ReputationRep:
    GHDs ftw, my hair actually stays straight when I use them, unlike my old remington ones that cost me about £70.
    They're magic!

ReputationRep:
    I've had the ORIGINAL GHDs (from 7years ago or so) and they still work just as good.

GHDs all the way!

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys for the advice, its seems there are mixed reviews for GHD's. i will see i can find the cheapest pair of ghds then. thanks again!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 19, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.