Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Last night looking through my window I saw a bunch of guys throw rocks through a car window (smashing it in the process) and then walk away. I kind of hesitated to call the police since they were away from the scene by the time I could find my mobile.

It seems they returned later to smash more windows of the same car. Should I have called 999/the police regardless if they were not at the scene or not? I am confused.

I live in a pretty crime ridden area unfortunately, and if I see this happening again I need to know what action to take. It used to be really quiet for the last couple of months but since it's the summer again these pricks are back on the streets terrorising everyone. I don't like having these scum freely walking about my streets, and it's the second car I've seen with its window smashed this week.

Should I have done something/called 999?

ReputationRep:
    Surprisingly yes you should have.... Or crimestoppers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurntDesire™)
    Last night looking through my window I saw a bunch of guys throw rocks through a car window (smashing it in the process) and then walk away. I kind of hesitated to call the police since they were away from the scene by the time I could find my mobile.

It seems they returned later to smash more windows of the same car. Should I have called 999/the police regardless if they were not at the scene or not? I am confused.

I live in a pretty crime ridden area unfortunately, and if I see this happening again I need to know what action to take. It used to be really quiet for the last couple of months but since it's the summer again these pricks are back on the streets terrorising everyone. I don't like having these scum freely walking about my streets, and it's the second car I've seen with its window smashed this week.

I wouldn't worry about it, the police would of just given them a slap on the wrist anyway.

ReputationRep:
    You should have put on a cape, got the **** out there and broken some limbs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurntDesire™)

I think you kinda answered your question yourself OP. Don't dwell on the past though, you can't change it.

ReputationRep:
    I would have but then again it's so easy to have people turn on you instead of the car they were doing in. I wouldve called 999 at least and then ran out shouting but thats just me.. oh well..

ReputationRep:
    So next time I see these scum in action I should just give 999 a call? I also saw a van being robbed about a month ago, the chavs fled before I could try remember their clothing and what they looked liked etc. The van driver came back, made a phone call to some business colleague and just drove off, with two broken windows, without calling the police. It really is depressing when you can't do much about it.

ReputationRep:
    You should have gone out with a gun and threatened them. Seriously.

ReputationRep:
    If it happens alot I'd keep a camera by my window (to take photo evidence) and phone the police.....if you went outside to stop them you'd be more likely to get hurt than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    dont call 999 but get the number for your local police. That way you'll be alerting them to it, but not wasting time on the emergency lines (ie 999)

ReputationRep:
    thats one of the things i hate about summer, these lowlifes hang about in the streets, causing trouble even late at night you could hear them in the nearby park. its really annoying and whats worse even if the police was called nothing much would've happened to them. maybe a warning. there should be more police in certain streets of the UK in the summer. some people dont really feel safe anymore because of these kids.

ReputationRep:
    The pricks just came back and now they rolled over the car, and now it's on the pavement upside down and with glass charred everywhere. This really is somewhat pathetic. The police came just a few minutes ago to inspect the smashed car and now they rolled it over.

Something that really pisses my off about the summer :mad:

ReputationRep:
    What filthy chavs.

Yes you should have called the police, but as someone said above, your local police station, not the emergency services. Look up the number for your local police station on the net or in the phone book, and store it in your mobile.

ReputationRep:
    Wait by the window and snipe them one by one.
    Do it 7 times in a row without them spotting you and a helicopter will turn up, maybe a police one.

ReputationRep:
    Keep your camera handy, and take a picture next time. Depends with what frequency things like this happen.

ReputationRep:
    999 is for emergencies. You should have called your local cop shop.

ReputationRep:
    When I see drunk night street fight under my windows near the pub across the road.I find it usual deal.The chaps are just training,such a sport.So if they start beat pubs windows I won't weep at all.
    I got used to it so much that I even don't watch such shows and continue to sleep.
    The police sometimes comes in the morning if somebody was murdered and ask:"Have you seen something?"
    When one chap suddenly fell down under my windows at day time I called an ambulence but it came only in an hour although district hospital is in 500 metres from the place of accident.
    In half an hour the chap stood up,the passer by people helped him,they pushed his heart by turn and it continue to work.When somebody told him:" don't move the ambulence is going" - he immidiately stood up and left the place of accident, as if running from the doctors.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.