Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

parents (Dad) forcing my to engineering Watch

My dad moved to qatar in January, we weren't ever really close because he always said faults about me etc, ( like im not clever enough and that i'm not going to be a doctor) so then in my GCSEs i got decent grades and he was so shocked ( 5As,4Bs,2Cs). so he wants me to be an engineer its more 'professional' i took for AS maths,physics, computing and business and i want to drop physics because its to hard, ( i havent told him yet) and i always wanted to do computer science from year 11 ish, and i just told him on the internet ( google talk you use a microphone) and he was shouting at me saying 'no you have to do engineering you have no choice etc' and he said i havent researched it and i just rushed into doing it and that computer science is for 'college'.
    and he cant stop me doing computer science but if i do it he will hate me and not help me with the Uni funds and etc, he made me cry because he was saying i was stupid, that i wasnt every going to change and that ill be just like my mum.

ReputationRep:
    he should force you to english first :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    IT IS YOUR LIFE!

Will he be happy if at the end of the day you're depressed, angry and frustrated in later life? Do what YOU think is best. It's hard, but try and cancel out all of his views... and do what you feel is best. He can not live your life for you. Never let anybody do that in your life, EVER.

Good luck, and chin up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGimpMan)
    huh? ^^ That doesn't make sense..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    and he cant stop me doing computer science but if i do it he will hate me and not help me with the Uni funds and etc, he made me cry because he was saying i was stupid, that i wasnt every going to change and that ill be just like my mum.
    Do Computer Science at a university which classifies it as an engineering subject rather than a science ?

ReputationRep:
    Some courses ask for physics for computer science, so make sure this isn't the case for where you want to go. I think you should do what you want for your uni course. There is no point studying for a degree that you won't enjoy. Well maybe people including myself are preparing to go through uni with help from their parents so I don't think this should be a big concern for you.

ReputationRep:
    possibly a "trying to be funny" fail?

ReputationRep:
    Advice FAIL :top:

ReputationRep:
    You could do Computer Systems Engineering but I guess he wouldn't like that either.

Just don't talk to him about your choices any more. But be sure you have researched Computer Science well, because if you choose it, and drop out, = no fun.

I don't understand this:
    computer science is for 'college'
    ?

ReputationRep:
    you lot are useless.
    can you not see the glaring grammatical error in the title which i reproduced with GREAT COMEDIC EFFECT.

(Original post by llys)
    You could do Computer Systems Engineering but I guess he wouldn't like that either.

Just don't talk to him about your choices any more. But be sure you have researched Computer Science well, because if you choose it, and drop out, = no fun.

I don't understand this:

?
    meaning someone 'stupid' can do it.

ReputationRep:
    Lol my dad told me to do medicine, I told him to kiss my ass. Do the same.

ReputationRep:
    can you not see the glaring grammatical error in the title
    I see.

...which i reproduced with GREAT COMEDIC EFFECT.
    I do not see.

ReputationRep:
    I think your dad is being quite insensitive. Why not get your mum involved? Also, persevere with your decision if that's what you really want. If he's got a shred of intelligence he'll eventually realise that you come first when it comes to your own life (obviously) and support your decision.

ReputationRep:

Yes but you replied without using the "do".

What you wrote didn't make sense either. So, FAIL. lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzypants)
    Yes but you replied without using the "do".

What you wrote didn't make sense either. So, FAIL. lol.
    that was the point, moron.

ReputationRep:
    Living up to your username eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurntDesire™)
    Lol my dad told me to do medicine, I told him to kiss my ass. Do the same.
    Can I?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Can I?
    Yes, you may.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid post and then ure gonna get obsessed.

HOLLY

*HIT*

LILLY

STOP IT NOW ITS NOT FUNNY HOLLY

LILLY LILLY COME ERE A MINUTE

NONONONONONONONONONONONO

BY THE TIME I COME DOWN U BETTER GIVE THAT TO ME

YOU BETTER

STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP

COME ON HOLLY

NO MORE EXCUSES

BAM

HOLLY

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.