Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

parents (Dad) forcing my to engineering Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My dad moved to qatar in January, we weren't ever really close because he always said faults about me etc, ( like im not clever enough and that i'm not going to be a doctor) so then in my GCSEs i got decent grades and he was so shocked ( 5As,4Bs,2Cs). so he wants me to be an engineer its more 'professional' i took for AS maths,physics, computing and business and i want to drop physics because its to hard, ( i havent told him yet) and i always wanted to do computer science from year 11 ish, and i just told him on the internet ( google talk you use a microphone) and he was shouting at me saying 'no you have to do engineering you have no choice etc' and he said i havent researched it and i just rushed into doing it and that computer science is for 'college'.
    and he cant stop me doing computer science but if i do it he will hate me and not help me with the Uni funds and etc, he made me cry because he was saying i was stupid, that i wasnt every going to change and that ill be just like my mum.
    Tell your dad that u plan to do software engineering which is part of computing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Stupid post and then ure gonna get obsessed.

HOLLY

*HIT*

LILLY

STOP IT NOW ITS NOT FUNNY HOLLY

LILLY LILLY COME ERE A MINUTE

NONONONONONONONONONONONO

BY THE TIME I COME DOWN U BETTER GIVE THAT TO ME

YOU BETTER

STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP

COME ON HOLLY

NO MORE EXCUSES

BAM

HOLLY
    ahem, wtf?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My dad moved to qatar in January, we weren't ever really close because he always said faults about me etc, ( like im not clever enough and that i'm not going to be a doctor) so then in my GCSEs i got decent grades and he was so shocked ( 5As,4Bs,2Cs). so he wants me to be an engineer its more 'professional' i took for AS maths,physics, computing and business and i want to drop physics because its to hard, ( i havent told him yet) and i always wanted to do computer science from year 11 ish, and i just told him on the internet ( google talk you use a microphone) and he was shouting at me saying 'no you have to do engineering you have no choice etc' and he said i havent researched it and i just rushed into doing it and that computer science is for 'college'.
    and he cant stop me doing computer science but if i do it he will hate me and not help me with the Uni funds and etc, he made me cry because he was saying i was stupid, that i wasnt every going to change and that ill be just like my mum.
    Agh. Bloody Engineer-oriented parents. I'm behind you all the way.

I'd suggest that you inform your father of the distinction between "ICT" and "Computer Science", what with the former being a "College" course looked down upon, and the latter being one of the most respectable degrees around, offered by any "Good" University worth its salt. If he denies it, point him towards Cambridge's Computer Science course, and dare him to suggest that that and its ilk are "Soft Options".

If he remains unconvinced ("Cambridge? That old Polytechnic? Pah! No son of mine..." ) , tell him where he can stick his Engineering degree- he's simply not worth your time. If he's going to fail epically at the last hurdle of parenthood, there's little you can do. For the love of God- don't shoot for Engineering at his bidding- a friend of mine did just that. He lasted half a year, dropped out in disgust, and went straight for Computer Science at Exeter- he's never been happier.

Pushy parents are a pain in the proverbial backside. Be firm, and just do what you want.
    Heck- if you wanted to go for History of Art, you should leap for it without regard for his views- it's simply not his place to decide your future anymore.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.