Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Annoying Texting Issue - How would you react? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend of 2 years recently started texting a girl from work, I thought nothing of it at the beginning because I knew they were just friends, but this girl called him at 3am one night which I thought was a little odd but never mentioned it. Now the other day my boyfriend went out clubbing and in the early hours of the morning text me asking for a lift, which I said no to and then he rang me at 3am to tell me he got home safe and was saying all the usual drunk lovey dovey stuff but when I saw his phone the day after he had also text this girl asking her for a lift home and rang her before me when he got home. Am I getting ahead of myself or is this something I should be worried about?

ReputationRep:
    Was she the one to give him a lift home? If so I see no harm in him calling her first. Even if not, why do you care so much about being phoned after her?

ReputationRep:
    yes you should be concerned, cos the more they start texting and communicating outside of work an emtional bode will evently develop between these two. Speak to him first about this before you start driving your head crazy.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon you're right to be a bit miffed. Why not just ask him outright what the deal is with this girl? Obviously approach it gently and try not to come across as the jealous girlfriend.

ReputationRep:
    if there was anything to worry about you can bet your arse he'd have deleted those texts in case you saw

ReputationRep:
    Yep he probs likes her

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't it be better to talk to him rather than snoop around on his phone?

ReputationRep:
    Well done guys put the fear of god into her.
    Well the way I see it , he had to ring her for a lift right.
    Hence why she was first , then he rung you to tell you he got home safe and like the person said.
    If anything was going on those texts would be deleted ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    There is NOTHING that can't wait when it's 3am in the morning between people who are just friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danpr)
    There is NOTHING that can't wait when it's 3am in the morning between people who are just friends.
    This is basically what my friends have said when I told them. They said they would never text or ring a boy at that time unless there was something more than friendship going on.

ReputationRep:
    ^ well that's a bit dumb and maybe they are not that close to their male friends...if you know the other person doesn't go to bed early for example-why can't you ring them at that time...albeit i wouldn't like my bf to ring a girl at that time BUT it's not for definite it's something dodgy...how do you know she wasn't drunk and randomly rang her close guy friend at 3am.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. I have had many a conversations with a girl I'm dating at 3am, well more like from 1am to 6am with a girl I'm not dating when I was in a long term relationship. We were just good friends, there was nothing going on and my girlfriend had no reason to be worried. Don't listen to the majority of people on this site, they will always say dump him, he must be cheating, he must like her or some other **** they have no way of knowing. He is friends with the girl, there is nothing more to it. Don't worry yourself over it.

Also if he does like the girl trying to stop him talking to her or interfering in his friendship in any way is no going to work. It will make you look like the bad guy and put a wedge between you and your boyfriend. If you worried you need to make him remember why he is dating you and make sure your relationship stays strong. You know him better than anyone else here. Only you know if he is the type who would cheat. Just don't jump to conclusions or do anything stupid.

ReputationRep:
    He rang the friend first because he thought it was more likely you'd be asleep, obviously.

Seriously, how the hell are we supposed to know? He's your boyfriend, ask him about it instead of snooping about then posting 'evidence' on TSR.

Furthermore, why are you getting so uptight about the the fact she's female? What does that have to do with anything?

ReputationRep:
    Just question him...don't attack him with accusations...he should reassure you, clear up the tension and put your mind at ease You're right to be concerned but maybe it's all a misunderstanding.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    'Just ask him'? Seriously people.. are you all living in a disney cartoon? Whether somethings going on or not, the only answer will be 'we're just friends'. Does anyone really think if he fancys her or whatever he's going to turn round and be like 'oh well actually, I would like to give her one... but Im not sure yet, ask again in a couple of weeks'?

OP if I were you - and I know Im going to get slated for this - dont say anything to him. Because if you do, and there is something going on, then thats just going to make him be more careful about it.
    For now Id just be normal with him, but maybe take a little more notice of how he acts towards you etc. It is completely possible that nothings going on, but as one or two others have said, it does seem a little 'off' to be ringing up a guy who has a girlfriend at 3am. Maybe it wouldnt be so odd if she was a close friend, but you've said he's only started texting her recently... so seems a teensy bit weird that you'd be ringing your new friend up at that hour, and asking them for lifts at ridiculous o clock in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    I would react by going on TSR and starting a **** thread that no one cares about.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.