Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you go into a black hole if you had the chance? Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you go into a black hole?
    Definitely!
    18.75%
    No way!
    18.75%
    Maybe...
    18.75%
    If I was paid.
    0%
    If I was suicidal.
    43.75%

ReputationRep:
    no.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with someone I really like and we would hold each other's hand so that we dont lose each other

ReputationRep:
    Would you descend your nutsack into a meat grinder?

We may not know exactly what happens if you go into a black hole, but I think we are pretty certain that death is an inescapable part of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    I would!

Would be so cool! Plus, I'd film my journey, which would make it the best documentary film ever - with exclusive commentary from im so academic.

Would you go into a black hole? Why/why not?

Discuss.
    99% sure you don't do physics.
    By going into a black-hole (i.e. crossing the even horizon) you could never return. You would have to spend the rest of your life circling the singularity until you a) either die of old age or b) get crushed by tidal forces.

People say that you'd be crushed due spaghettification before you reach the black hole. This is only true for small black-holes created when large stars die. Super-massive black holes have larger event horizons meaning that spaghettification would only occur a significant distance inside the event horizon.

Only if I was going to die by some terminal illness would I choose to throw myself into a super massive black hole. Not a small one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Whoever came up with that is an idiot. How would they know? :rolleyes:
    Maths, physics? I dunno, ask Stephen Hawking or something.

ReputationRep:
    Errrr, you'd die. The gravitational pull on which ever end of you was closest to the black hole would be so much more than the other end that you'd be torn apart.

ReputationRep:
    at one point my legs would be going fast than my head and i would be ripped apart :moon: so no :ta:

ReputationRep:
    has anybody tried sending something into a blackhole?

(Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    has anybody tried sending something into a blackhole?
    Exactly! So much for theoretical physics, where's the pratical bit!?

ReputationRep:
    Every hole's a goal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH123)
    Every hole's a goal.
    Hahaha!!! :p:

(Original post by ogloom)
    99% sure you don't do physics.
    By going into a black-hole (i.e. crossing the even horizon) you could never return. You would have to spend the rest of your life circling the singularity until you a) either die of old age or b) get crushed by tidal forces.

People say that you'd be crushed due spaghettification before you reach the black hole. This is only true for small black-holes created when large stars die. Super-massive black holes have larger event horizons meaning that spaghettification would only occur a significant distance inside the event horizon.

Only if I was going to die by some terminal illness would I choose to throw myself into a super massive black hole. Not a small one.
    ^ What he said.

Though what we understand would happen when entering a giant black hole is still scientific speculation and the likelihood still remains that you would die pretty soon. So I wouldn't.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.