Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should we have a universal "age of consent"? Watch

ReputationRep:
    At the present the age of consent varies between countries, ranging from 12 (for heterosexuals) in places like Angola, but 20 in places like Tunisia (again, for heterosexuals). And in certain places, such as Afghanistan, you need to be married to have sex legally (for heterosexuals). This is being highly idealistic, but would you support a universal age of consent? What age would be appropriate taking into consideration cultural relativism?

Moreover, do we even need age of consents?

Next question: the age of consent for homosexual sex varies quite a bit among countries, and most of them are at a different age than for those wishing to participate in heterosexual sex. Homosexual sex is illegal in quite a few countries, to name a few; Afghanistan, Algeria, Ghana, India, Kenya (although lesbian sex is legal at 18 :confused: ), Barbados, Pakistan, etc, etc. And in many places the age of consent for homosexual sex is considerably higher than that of heterosexual sex. Should this be allowed? Should countries be allowed to condemn homosexuality by making homosexual sex illegal?

Do we need the state telling us what age we're mature enough to have sex? Should we be able to have sex with whoever we want (providing they consent) when we want, and whatever age we want?

Everybody knows these abitruary minimum age laws are pretty useless, but let's just assume they work

Basically, a discussion about the age of consent.

For anybody interested, all information was taken from http://www.avert.org/age-of-consent.htm

ReputationRep:
    I don't think we need an age of consent at all - it's natural to know when you want to have sex and when you're not ready. Legally, I could have had sex at 16, but I KNEW I wasn't ready until I was 19. Similarly, if I had been ready at 13, nothing would have stopped me.
    However, it's a safety measure too - it's intended to stop, say, 18 year olds getting with 12 year olds by manipulating them; something that IS needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    However, it's a safety measure too - it's intended to stop, say, 18 year olds getting with 12 year olds by manipulating them; something that IS needed.
    What about an 16 year old with a 22 year old? Same age gap, who's to say where the manipulation is?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think we need an age of consent at all - it's natural to know when you want to have sex and when you're not ready. Legally, I could have had sex at 16, but I KNEW I wasn't ready until I was 19. Similarly, if I had been ready at 13, nothing would have stopped me.
    The main purpose of an age of consent is to prevent young people being taken advantage of by much older people. Hence why the laws against underage sex are pretty much never enforced when the parties involved are of roughly the same age.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there should be a universal anything: each country has the right to decide its own rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    What about an 16 year old with a 22 year old? Same age gap, who's to say where the manipulation is?
    That's kind of what I was trying to get at. The age of consent isn't useful in my opinion, but the idea of protection from manipulation is. The thing is, this CAN happen at any age - the simple seduction of one 18 year old by another, for example.
    The age of consent is there for a reason, but it's not helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    I don't think there should be a universal anything: each country has the right to decide its own rules.
    What about a universal prohibition of torture?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    But regimes which are quite blatantly illiberal and immoral, should we just let it happen? There are universal human rights, many of which are breached by certain countries.

ReputationRep:
    This.

Nobody should tell us "this is when you can have sex". We should have a proper education on it, and then make our minds up when we're ready.

ReputationRep:
    It would never happen.

In the States, where I currently live, they haven't even got a universal age in the country, as each state is responsible for deciding its own. I live in Illinois, where the age is 17, but it is as high as 18 in some states, although I believe it's 16 in most.

If it can't be done in one country, getting ALL countries to agree a universal age would most likely be impossible.

ReputationRep:
    I'm talking idealistically, people. I'm not seriously suggesting that it's remotely possible to have a universal age of consent.

ReputationRep:
    i wish i could agree with you but you have to remember that there are a lot of people out there who are not as smart/ mature as you who will think they are ready and *in love* when they are like 13 and will jump into bed with anyone, thinking that one day they will get married or somthing! that person would be heartbroken a week later when their boy/girlfriend fancies someone else and dumps them. In short, if age restrictions theoretically were adheared to, i think they could only be a positive thing. if you genuinley, and rightfully were ready to have sex aged 15, you should also be mature enough to happily wait a year.

ReputationRep:
    Er so what about paedophilia then?

ReputationRep:
    i think 16 or 17, personally i was nearly 18, i didn't feel ready before then and i think younger people should be deterred.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmalev)
    i wish i could agree with you but you have to remember that there are a lot of people out there who are not as smart/ mature as you who will think they are ready and *in love* when they are like 13 and will jump into bed with anyone, thinking that one day they will get married or somthing! that person would be heartbroken a week later when their boy/girlfriend fancies someone else and dumps them. In short, if age restrictions theoretically were adheared to, i think they could only be a positive thing. if you genuinley, and rightfully were ready to have sex aged 15, you should also be mature enough to happily wait a year.
    :eek2: you have the same avatar as me :ninjagirl: except i win

ReputationRep:
    What about in countries where the age of consent is 20? Why do you think the state should dictate our bedroom lives? Surely a person should be able to decide for themselves when they're ready to have sex without having to (theoretically) wait a year or so to align with the law?

I don't think there should be an age of consent, for the record.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheepy18)
    i think 16 or 17, personally i was nearly 18, i didn't feel ready before then and i think younger people should be deterred.
    Why though? What's so evil about sex that kids need to be "deterred" from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melting Sugar.)
    :eek2: you have the same avatar as me :ninjagirl: except i win
    :eek: :eek: :eek: omg! and yours is bigger!!:eek: dammnit

ReputationRep:
    Haha what is with:
    In Papua New Guinea, anal sex is illegal in all cases. The age of consent for vaginal sex is 16 for females and 14 for males.

and there's one where men have to be 18 and women 15? What's with different ages for male and females haha? And what's with all the places allowing lesbian sex but not gay (male) sex?

WTF?

ReputationRep:
    :eek: :eek: :eek: omg! and yours is bigger!!:eek: dammnit
    that's what he said :proud:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.