Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'd say nay but it depends what's going through the carriers head at the time :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    For me Nay but I accept that sometimes in some situations a woman NEEDS to abort a child. Which in my opinion is different to a 15 year old getting pregnant and going "uh what do I do now? Oh I know I'll kill this "inconvenience"
    A couple who cannot conceive could adopt the baby if you can't bring it up on your own...

ReputationRep:
    I think that abortion is fine for a certain amount of weeks. But they do allow it too late in a fetus' development, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    A big fat Nay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sky_Dream)
    Why should the Government rule that women cannot have a medical procedure performed on them because some people think it's immoral?
    That's a very simple minded response.

Have you ever pondered why people would find the procedure immoral?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    That's a very simple minded response.

Have you ever pondered why people would find the procedure immoral?
    Yes ofcourse i have. However, why should the views of some dictate the lives of those who do not share the same views?

If someone believes that abortion is murder, if they get pregnant they don't have to have an abortion. However, they cannot impose their views onto others who may not share the same negative view on abortion.

ReputationRep:
    If someone believes that abortion is murder, if they get pregnant they don't have to have an abortion. However, they cannot impose their views onto others who may not share the same negative view on abortion.
    To be honest, the 'if you don't like it, don't do it' argument can be used against e.g. bigots who oppose gay marriage, but I don't think it can be deployed in the abortion debate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JectioN)
    To be honest, the 'if you don't like it, don't do it' argument can be used against e.g. bigots who oppose gay marriage, but I don't think it can be deployed in the abortion debate.
    How so?

ReputationRep:
    How so?
    You can't just tell someone who regards abortion to be murder to piss off and mind their own business. For this reason, we have to protect the right of women to seek an abortion by alternative arguments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DC Doberman)
    This is making even less sense. So you're saying that if one person can keep a child from dying, they are entitled to let it die, but if many people are able to keep it from dying, they have a duty to keep it alive?
    Pretending you didn't word that so biasedly... yes. Basically if only one person can do the job and they are unable to, then they can hardly be forced to do the job.

If everyone on Earth could potentially do the job, with at least thousands ready, willing, and able to do it, then you should get SOMEONE to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mexangel)
    It's been seen that even fetuses feel pain-they're LIVING creatures,not inanimate.Hit yourself hard & you'll know what I mean...well,that fetus does have a right to be born & contribute to the world .
    Parasites are alive... :O

ReputationRep:
    women's rights!!!

ReputationRep:
    yay i say the less people born the better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deano88)
    I would say i'm Pro Choice, but there are certain aspects of the whole thing that i disagree with.

In particular the fact that, as mentioned above, abortion is often used as a form of birth control. In my old job, i worked with a girl who had 4 abortions before she was 18, which is ridiculous.
    Some of this is for you but not all of it by the way. Here goes. What gets my goat is that you will never ever see a prosecution for an illegal abortion and you will find some pro-choice lobbyists who are in denial of the on demand state we have. You really think that 200,000 abortions each year are a result because of rape, incest, and contraception failing? The law should state the reality or enforce. I never used to be against it but I've known too many lenient cases that put a mockery to the severe cases, where the legislation was meant for, to shame.

Cases of abortion that had dubious circumstances will never be looked into (e.g. cleft palate) and figures showing under 16s having abortions show near-conclusive criminal activity. Noticed people say women have full control over their reproductive rights instead of with their body to avoid a collision course with the drugs argument. If you wish to do with your body as you please when you're pregnant, then I should be free to indulge in a spot of cocaine every Friday. As long as I do not commit crime to feed my habit, unlike many alcoholics, then what business is it to everyone else's?

And if a pregnant woman got stabbed with the loss of the foetus as a result, I wonder how much of the pro-choice lobby, who do not recognise the foetus as a legally protected being, end up waiving the 'murder card'.

Even a web comic sums it up:

Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net

Edit: And some of the pro-choice lobby will suffer an outcry if they hear parts of China consider aborted foetuses as a delicacy. You did not care for it before it was born so why now?

ReputationRep:
    And some of the pro-choice lobby will suffer an outcry if they hear parts of China consider aborted foetuses as a delicacy. You did not care for it before it was born so why now?

mmm fetuses :drool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alice._-)
    mmm fetuses
    I'll post a thread for amusement purposes when there are more people around. No doubt some pro-choice user will report it for finding it 'disturbing' (in other words, there's some guilty conscience). The cycle of violence continues - abortion, corporal punishment, domestic violence, death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Some of this is for you but not all of it by the way. Here goes. What gets my goat is that you will never ever see a prosecution for an illegal abortion and you will find some pro-choice lobbyists who are in denial of the on demand state we have. You really think that 200,000 abortions each year are a result because of rape, incest, and contraception failing? The law should state the reality or enforce. I never used to be against it but I've known too many lenient cases that put a mockery to the severe cases, where the legislation was meant for, to shame.

Cases of abortion that had dubious circumstances will never be looked into (e.g. cleft palate) and figures showing under 16s having abortions show near-conclusive criminal activity. Noticed people say women have full control over their reproductive rights instead of with their body to avoid a collision course with the drugs argument. If you wish to do with your body as you please when you're pregnant, then I should be free to indulge in a spot of cocaine every Friday. As long as I do not commit crime to feed my habit, unlike many alcoholics, then what business is it to everyone else's?

And if a pregnant woman got stabbed with the loss of the foetus as a result, I wonder how much of the pro-choice lobby, who do not recognise the foetus as a legally protected being, end up waiving the 'murder card'.
    I agree with the fact that a lot of people are in denial about the situation the woman is in for probably the vast majority of abortion cases. As it stands, the law allows people to have an easy way out. Obviously everyone makes silly mistakes once in a while, but it does get to a point where enough is enough and the girl should have to deal with the consequences of her actions, whether that be raising the child herself, or having it adopted by one of the thousands of couples out there that are unable t have kids of their own.

However, i have spoken to people in the past with quite extreme pro choice views, who i'm sure are fully aware of the real situation of most abortion cases and still aren't really bothered. As you said they believe that a woman should have full control over her own reproduction.

P.S I'm not sure what part was meant for me at all. But on the whole I agree with you.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't anti-lifers think about this... if you show a child a picture of an embryonic fetus, what will they say it looks like? A baby... Then look at their face when you explain that it's ok to smash that baby up into tiny pieces and suck it out. That should be enough to tell you that abortion is objectively wrong. (you can imagine this sequence of events rather than doing it, cus that would be pretty sick).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Why don't anti-lifers think about this... if you show a child a picture of an embryonic fetus, what will they say it looks like? A baby... Then look at their face when you explain that it's ok to smash that baby up into tiny pieces and suck it out. That should be enough to tell you that abortion is objectively wrong. (you can imagine this sequence of events rather than doing it, cus that would be pretty sick).
    Why are you assuming to know the facial expression of other people to a certain act?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JectioN)
    Doesn't look like a baby to me.

It's getting there, and it is pretty cute.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.