Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    pro choice

its better for the women to have the right to choice, then the state to say no

its gets a grey area when people thing they can use it as a form of contraception, i don't agree with

ReputationRep:
    abortion is WRONG !! to kill a child in the making

ReputationRep:
    At 17 years old, I couldnt have an abortion, 1) because of the pain of the actual abortion (even tho labour is worse but u get something at the end of it) 2) because i wud feel so guilty, and 3) because at 17 I think I could cope, i've got gcse's i will have a-levels, and so its not going to "ruin my life"

I wouldnt have sex with someone unless we had been together for 6 months (only cus it wud be my first time) so if i did get pregnant he wudnt just do a runner, and we could work something out.

But what other people choose to do is their buisness, and if my best friend wanted an abortion then i wud go along with her and support her even though i couldnt do it myself.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    pro choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADREAM)
    I would have thought pro-lifers would take extreme circumstances (i.e. rape/mother dying as a result) as exceptions? :eek:
    Not in the USA! There are some pro-lifers there, who want it illegal in ALL situations, no exceptions.

I don't want to get political, but in one of the interviews in the lead up to the 2008 Presidential elections, Sarah Palin was asked about abortions in rape cases, and she said that she favours the pregnancy continuing and the child then being put up for adoption. In another interview, when asked about abortion in rape and medical cases, she repeated her opinion of the pregnancy in rape cases, and more or less said that in medical cases mothers should risk it as sometimes the mother and baby would both survive (never mind the fact that in other cases the mother wouldn't, and in others both wouldn't survive).

There are other Americans who believe this too (but of course there are many that don't).

ReputationRep:
    I'm against abortion, abortion is only acceptable when the mothers life is a risk or rape

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VoodooCharles)
    At 17 years old, I couldnt have an abortion, 1) because of the pain of the actual abortion (even tho labour is worse but u get something at the end of it) 2) because i wud feel so guilty, and 3) because at 17 I think I could cope, i've got gcse's i will have a-levels, and so its not going to "ruin my life"

I wouldnt have sex with someone unless we had been together for 6 months (only cus it wud be my first time) so if i did get pregnant he wudnt just do a runner, and we could work something out.

But what other people choose to do is their buisness, and if my best friend wanted an abortion then i wud go along with her and support her even though i couldnt do it myself.
    Sorry, I think you didn't quite read the OP.

I don't quite want to perform an abortion on you, ma'am. :hat2:

ReputationRep:
    Im pro-choice .

Like many others, I feel that it is unexceptable for abortion to be used as a means of contraception, but like sombody above said, contreception does fail, and who are we to tell a pregnant victim of rape that she should keep the child cos it would be "wrong" for her to get it aborted?
    I think it is completely upto the person wether they choose to keep the child or not.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone's for universal abortion. :lolwut: We'd be extinct.

ReputationRep:
    Nay.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the idea of just getting abortions cos someone was too lazy to use protection.
    Why demean the value of a life just cos two people were too stupid to put one on..?
    I just think it's like spilling out what could have been your potential son or daughter...which is why I'm careful that I won't get pregnant as I know I'm not ready but couldn't end a life without giving it a chance.

ReputationRep:
    Not that I would take the idea of having an abortion lightly, but I am most certainly Pro Choice, and I don't think any laws should try to stop me from being able to control my own body.

I think a lot of pro-lifers seem to neglect what goes on mentally and emotionally to a woman before, during and after the abortion process. Regardless of how 'cruel' you think it is or not, a woman's body would prepare for motherhood even before she herself knows she has a child growing inside here, and therefore the choice making would be considerably harder. I don't think they seem to take into account that the mother is a living, breathing human and her rights should be taken in to consideration too.

There should be a crack down on how long a woman should be able to wait before having an abortion - five months is ridiculous - and also I do believe there should be some form of ban on young women under the age of eighteen to have an abortion... I feel this might make them stop being so lax about protecting themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    This is when I am against it. People who have unprotected sex and view abortion as a way out.

I support it in cases of rape/abuse but a life is too precious to be taken away. I guess I'm pro life.
    That's exactly how i feel.
    I don't think i'd have one. However, i've never been abused/raped so i'm in no position to judge those who feel it necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADREAM)
    Sorry, I think you didn't quite read the OP.

I don't quite want to perform an abortion on you, ma'am. :hat2:

I thought it was quite a naive post of hers, IMO. Obviously too young to realise that motherhood is not a walk in the park and having GCSEs and ALevels won't prepare her for a life of having nothing but a child to look after and thoughts of a life she could have been leading.

ReputationRep:
    Pro-life except under the most extreme of circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    I'm definatly pro-choice but however much it is the wrong time for me to have a baby (probably, because of uni etc), I still couldnt have an abortion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    Pro-choice! Women are entitled to the freedom to make choices about their own reproduction.
    Rubish, they can give the baby up for adoption if they don't want it, even if they have ben raped, i mean which is better,rape or murder?

ReputationRep:
    is nay all around except if the mother's health is at risk or the mother has been raped. apart from that people should not play god and take life as they please.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pro choice, I believe it is up to the female to make the final decision. It can be really difficult when the man wants the pregnancy to continue and the woman doesn't but you have to consider the mental and health issues. I do not think anyone has the right to pressure anyone else to have an abortion. I personally could not have an abortion but I would never judge someone who had one.

ReputationRep:
    nay nay nay nay!!!! - i would never consider it - i mean as a bloke it might be easier to say that coz we don't hve to go through all the pregnancy/birth and all that, i've always believed if your ready to have sex your ready to have children and if it happensby accident even if you've used contraception then abortion shouldn't be the option.

my attitude would be no its not ideal but at the end of the day this is a consequence of sex and these days people seem to use it almost as a way of saying hello. sex should be a way of showing your love for someone and if that love happens to create a child then that's meant to be and i know if it happened to me it would be with a person that i was in a relationship with and would be hoping to have children with anyway. i don't see how any person should use the argument of 'we're not ready' i would say 'well you were ready enough to have sex' - i'm 18 and if i made someone pregnant by accident no its not ideal coz of the money aspect but i hear some people say 'i haven't lived enough' and i think these people have more a right to be killed than an innocent child. a baby is a blessing not a burden and i know i've said it twice already but if your not ready to accept this blessing then abstain from intercourse - and don't come crying on here or anywhere else if it happens to you

the only time when i have the slightest sympathy for abortion is in the case of rape otherwise its not an option at all

and you can call me whatever you like coz i don't care that's what i believe - there - rant over

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.