Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sky_Dream)
    I'm wanting pure facts here, not flimsy assumptions.
    What's the difference between chickens and dogs or horses? Why are horses more important? Why do you view a fertilised chicken egg as unequal to a fertilised egg in a female dog, yet a fertilised human egg is equal to the mother?
    No difference between a chicken, horse and a dog. You should be able to eat all but I doubt the public would view it that way. I view all animals the same, I'm just commenting on how other people react. I always laugh when meat-eaters deride other societies for having different practices with predation whether it's the 'Japanese and Chinese who eat anything that moves OMG lolz' squad, or the 'veal is too inhumane and Kosher meat is evil, but I love cow's milk from oversized udders and battery chicken is nice on the wallet' squad. I'm a vegan in case you're wondering. Horses are judged to be important in this country (not my opinion) because they help satisfy the adrenaline of the middle classes I guess. You don't need to use horses to race with - that's why people invented motorsport.

An egg is the same as eating an aborted fetus to me regardless of fertisilation or not. I view caviar as eating one's own sperm too. Hope that's cleared things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    No difference between a chicken, horse and a dog. You should be able to eat all but I doubt the public would view it that way. I view all animals the same, I'm just commenting on how other people react. I always laugh when meat-eaters deride other societies for having different practices with predation whether it's the 'Japanese and Chinese who eat anything that moves OMG lolz' squad, or the 'veal is too inhumane and Kosher meat is evil, but I love cow's milk from oversized udders and battery chicken is nice on the wallet' squad. I'm a vegan in case you're wondering. Horses are judged to be important in this country (not my opinion) because they help satisfy the adrenaline of the middle classes I guess. You don't need to use horses to race with - that's why people invented motorsport.

An egg is the same as eating an aborted fetus to me regardless of fertisilation or not. I view caviar as eating one's own sperm too. Hope that's cleared things.
    Ah ok i agree with you, we should be able to eat them all or not at all because they should all be equal. Thanks for clearing things .

ReputationRep:
    Pro-Choice is the cop out liberal wannabe answer.

Remember kids: If in doubt, go for the liberal answer. No-one will disagree with you then :top:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    It isn't just your body if you put a baby inside it, is it? If you get pregnant by accident it's your fault so why should the baby take the flak? All of the reasons you list as to why you shouldn't have a baby are reasons you really shouldn't be having sex. Yes sex is pleasurable but its primary function is to have children, so don't be so surprised when you end up having one because of it. If you play with fire you're gonna get burnt, and do you think your mental health will be more or less stable after killing a baby?
    Let me put this simply. Righ now, if i took every precaution and still by some major bad luck got pregnant, and was refused an abortion, i would KILL MYSELF if that is what it took to get rid of it. To be it isn't a baby. Its some alien parasite that's taking over my body. So to answer your question it would **** me up more to be forced to have it than deal with the probllem early on.

We're not living in the dark ages, sex is more about pleasure than function these days anyway. Saying i shouldn't have sex is like saying i shouldn't cross the road, cos even if i look both ways there is a minuscule risk i could get hit by a bus.

ReputationRep:
    A major problem with abortion that's commonly overlooked is the fact that trying to apply a universal law to it is ultimately fruitless, as there's so much scope in terms of the situations that lead to unwanted pregnancies - as pointed out it runs the gamult from honest teenage mistake to rape.

You simply can't ban abortion because such a measure isn't sensitive enough to react to the various peaks of the issue.

Also, 'yay' or 'nay'? OP, that is literally the least appropriate language to use ever.

ReputationRep:
    Nay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXMessedUpXx)
    Let me put this simply. Righ now, if i took every precaution and still by some major bad luck got pregnant, and was refused an abortion, i would KILL MYSELF if that is what it took to get rid of it. To be it isn't a baby. Its some alien parasite that's taking over my body. So to answer your question it would **** me up more to be forced to have it than deal with the probllem early on.

We're not living in the dark ages, sex is more about pleasure than function these days anyway. Saying i shouldn't have sex is like saying i shouldn't cross the road, cos even if i look both ways there is a minuscule risk i could get hit by a bus.
    Well, if it would destroy you that much to get pregnant you must be retarded to be having sex. Why don't you stop playing with fire? I get the point that sex is pleasurable, but if your too weak to deal with the consequences of messing up then don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sky_Dream)
    So you're going on the assumption that those who would abort their baby would suddenly want it once they give birth to it? That's an assumption, not fact. It's not a baby, and it's not being flushed down the toilet, it's a fetus. What's wrong with the birth rate going down? The world is overpopulated enough as it is.

When did i say i was ok with abortions all the way up to full term? You do realise that most abortions are performed in the first trimester, right?
    I don't think 100% of people would keep the baby, but many many people end up keeping it when they didn't want it in the first place. Indeed a rather large percentage of any group of children will be a complete mistake, but I don't see any difference in the love this children get compared to the planned ones.

Under your definition of what differentiates a baby from a fetus you say that it is humans relationships with the baby, and it's ability to feel emotion. Therefore it doesn't qualify as a baby until it's born, or even a few months old, so I presume it's ok to kill it then? I don't care if most are in the first trimester, no one can tell me the difference between a first trimester baby and a final trimester baby, so why would I care? People are still aborting 8 month old babies because they have a cleft pallet. Scum bags.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if it would destroy you that much to get pregnant you must be retarded to be having sex. Why don't you stop playing with fire? I get the point that sex is pleasurable, but if your too weak to deal with the consequences of messing up then don't do it.

Why should i? I would be dealing with the consequences-by terminating the pregnancy. There isn't just one way to deal with an unwanted pregnancy you know. I'm on the pill and use condoms therefore my chances of pregnancy are the smallest they can be. Sex is a basic human need. I've done everything to make sure i don't get pregnant, I'm being responsible. I'm just saying if the worst happened i have options.

I'm guessing your one of those people who also feel those who are made pregnant against their will by rape should be forced to continue with the pregnancy? Because that couldn't completly screw someone up :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Why should i? I would be dealing with the consequences-by terminating the pregnancy. There isn't just one way to deal with an unwanted pregnancy you know. I'm on the pill and use condoms therefore my chances of pregnancy are the smallest they can be. Sex is a basic human need. I've done everything to make sure i don't get pregnant, I'm being responsible. I'm just saying if the worst happened i have options.

I'm guessing your one of those people who also feel those who are made pregnant against their will by rape should be forced to continue with the pregnancy? Because that couldn't completly screw someone up
    Plenty of people cope fine without sex. Why should the baby that you put there deal with your mess up? I really don't get it... You think you'd kill yourself but why can't you not be selfish and put it up for adoption? Even if you had the baby and then killed yourself that would be better because it would be you who suffers the consequences rather than the baby. If you're as mentally unstable as you claim I think the tax payer will probably end up footing the bill either way, because I can guarantee you'll need your fair share of counselling later on in life after the abortion. I've dealt with many mental health patients who have had abortions, and it only makes them feel and behave 100x worse.

I do not get engaged with the debate over whether or not someone who has been raped should get an abortion or not, because I don't know. But I will tell you that fewer than 1% of abortions in the UK are because of rape or incest, so leaving the option of abortion open just so these people don't have to be pregnant is ridiculous. I wouldn't allow 99 babies to be killed so that one rape victim doesn't have to go through the ordeal of having a child she doesn't want.

ReputationRep:
    Yes because if i bnrought a child into this world, and it went through the system only to find its mother killed itself i'm sure that would really do less damage. :rolleyes:

besides for all you know my mental helath problems are genetic and would be passed on to that child. You're basically saying because i'm mentally ill i'm not allowed to have sex. That is what it boils down to. In fact hye if i just went and bloody killed myself in the first place then that would completely get rid of any chance of me getting pregnant. Do you think i should do that? rather than ever risk having an abortion?

Who made you judge and jury?

ReputationRep:
    Ideally no except when the baby poses a risk to the mother's health (people should lean to use contraception), but practically the mother shouldn't be forced to keep it, and there is also the risk of illegal abortions to consider.

ReputationRep:
    Yes because if i bnrought a child into this world, and it went through the system only to find its mother killed itself i'm sure that would really do less damage.

besides for all you know my mental helath problems are genetic and would be passed on to that child. You're basically saying because i'm mentally ill i'm not allowed to have sex. That is what it boils down to. In fact hye if i just went and bloody killed myself in the first place then that would completely get rid of any chance of me getting pregnant. Do you think i should do that? rather than ever risk having an abortion?

Who made you judge and jury?
    There aren't any mental health problems which are definately passed on. Your suggestion that it would be worse for the child to be alive knowing you had died, than not alive at all, is rather ridiculous. Your mental health isn't the reason I don't think you should be having sex, it's the fact you would get rid of the baby if you ended up pregnant. Having worked in mental health I know that there is no such thing as a life sentence, you are supposed to get better at some point, then you could have sex because you could handle a child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyche05)
    Ideally no except when the baby poses a risk to the mother's health (people should lean to use contraception), but practically the mother shouldn't be forced to keep it, and there is also the risk of illegal abortions to consider.
    Illegal abortions aren't actually much safer than legal ones. If we want less women to die we would have it illegal. 5000 illegal abortions might killed 2%, therefore 100 people might die, whereas now if it was 1% of 200,000 legal abortions carried out each year that's 2000 deaths.

ReputationRep:
    Illegal abortions aren't actually much safer than legal ones. If we want less women to die we would have it illegal. 5000 illegal abortions might killed 2%, therefore 100 people might die, whereas now if it was 1% of 200,000 legal abortions carried out each year that's 2000 deaths.
    You mean more dangerous right?

But pregnancy and childbirth are also dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    well, i think it depends on the situation.
    if it was against the girl's wishes (for example she was raped) then i think its okay.
    but,if it was the parent's mistake(ie not being careful). and they are able to raise the kid,and can provide him/her with appropriate environment then, abortion is a big NO

And, abortion after 4 months is a big NO no matter what the situation is. because by then you really are killing a living soul, they also say it is dangerous for the mom/

ReputationRep:
    Yay.

ReputationRep:
    Pro Choice all the way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSteed24)
    nay nay nay nay!!!! - i would never consider it - i mean as a bloke it might be easier to say that coz we don't hve to go through all the pregnancy/birth and all that, i've always believed if your ready to have sex your ready to have children and if it happensby accident even if you've used contraception then abortion shouldn't be the option.

my attitude would be no its not ideal but at the end of the day this is a consequence of sex and these days people seem to use it almost as a way of saying hello. sex should be a way of showing your love for someone and if that love happens to create a child then that's meant to be and i know if it happened to me it would be with a person that i was in a relationship with and would be hoping to have children with anyway. i don't see how any person should use the argument of 'we're not ready' i would say 'well you were ready enough to have sex' - i'm 18 and if i made someone pregnant by accident no its not ideal coz of the money aspect but i hear some people say 'i haven't lived enough' and i think these people have more a right to be killed than an innocent child. a baby is a blessing not a burden and i know i've said it twice already but if your not ready to accept this blessing then abstain from intercourse - and don't come crying on here or anywhere else if it happens to you

the only time when i have the slightest sympathy for abortion is in the case of rape otherwise its not an option at all

and you can call me whatever you like coz i don't care that's what i believe - there - rant over
    You're right, it is.

ReputationRep:
    On me, i'm totally against it!

On anybody else, it's their body and their choice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.