Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    Rubish, they can give the baby up for adoption if they don't want it, even if they have ben raped, i mean which is better,rape or murder?
    What a shocking lack of insight and compassion you display.

Abortion does not equate to murder. At the current abortion deadline, the foetus cannot survive outside the womb, independently of its mother. Therefore if it cannot exist, it cannot be murdered. Using the word 'murder' is inaccurate, emotive and sensationalist.

Giving a child up for adoption is a profoundly heartbreaking decision when often the kinder option to all involved is abortion. Is it truly the most loving thing to do to force a woman to carry a child she does not want to have? Does forcing a woman to carry a child she does not want undermine her right to autonomy and control of reproduction?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    What a shocking lack of insight and compassion you display.

Abortion does not equate to murder. At the current abortion deadline, the foetus cannot survive outside the womb, independently of its mother. Therefore if it cannot exist, it cannot be murdered. Using the word 'murder' is inaccurate, emotive and sensationalist.

Giving a child up for adoption is a profoundly heartbreaking decision when often the kinder option to all involved is abortion. Is it truly the most loving thing to do to force a woman to carry a child she does not want to have? Does forcing a woman to carry a child she does not want undermine her right to autonomy and control of reproduction?
    Currently the world’s youngest surviving premature baby is 21-weeks-old, and with modern advances they are being able to survive at increasingly younger ages. The UK abortion limit is 24-weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Yay, abortion! :awesome:

Uh, I'm pro-choice.

ReputationRep:
    Pro choice, but I do think that you can never really tell unless you have been in the situation where you have to chose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSteed24)
    nay nay nay nay!!!! - i would never consider it - i mean as a bloke it might be easier to say that coz we don't hve to go through all the pregnancy/birth and all that, i've always believed if your ready to have sex your ready to have children and if it happensby accident even if you've used contraception then abortion shouldn't be the option.

my attitude would be no its not ideal but at the end of the day this is a consequence of sex and these days people seem to use it almost as a way of saying hello. sex should be a way of showing your love for someone and if that love happens to create a child then that's meant to be and i know if it happened to me it would be with a person that i was in a relationship with and would be hoping to have children with anyway. i don't see how any person should use the argument of 'we're not ready' i would say 'well you were ready enough to have sex' - i'm 18 and if i made someone pregnant by accident no its not ideal coz of the money aspect but i hear some people say 'i haven't lived enough' and i think these people have more a right to be killed than an innocent child. a baby is a blessing not a burden and i know i've said it twice already but if your not ready to accept this blessing then abstain from intercourse - and don't come crying on here or anywhere else if it happens to you

the only time when i have the slightest sympathy for abortion is in the case of rape otherwise its not an option at all

and you can call me whatever you like coz i don't care that's what i believe - there - rant over
    You really think an eighteen year old would make an adequate parent? Would this not be to the detriment to the child?
    You believe that a baby is a blessing - I agree. Doesn't abortion mean every child being brought into the world is consiously wanted? Therefore abortion is a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    You really think an eighteen year old would make an adequate parent? Would this not be to the detriment to the child?
    You believe that a baby is a blessing - I agree. Doesn't abortion mean every child being brought into the world is consiously wanted? Therefore abortion is a good thing.
    I'd rather be an unwanted child than not exist at all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladydeborah)
    Pro choice, but I do think that you can never really tell unless you have been in the situation where you have to chose.
    You can still be pro-choice and choose not to have an abortion.

Even if you find the idea of aborting your foetus horrifying when it comes to the crunch, you can still support women who choose to proceed.

I'm pro-choice and have never had to choose, which I'm glad of. I don't know what my decision would be for sure like you say, but that doesn't make me any less pro-choice.

ReputationRep:
    I am pro-choice. Plus, it really gets on my nerves when religous types use the scriptures and what-not to justify the pro-life argument. (pic related)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon12345)
    Currently the world’s youngest surviving premature baby is 21-weeks-old, and with modern advances they are being able to survive at increasingly younger ages. The UK abortion limit is 24-weeks.
    There was vote last year in the House of Commons to reduce the UK abortion limit. It was rejected because the scientific evidence to support it was not conclusive. Not enough premature babies were surviving prior to the limit to warrant the limit being reduced.

ReputationRep:
    I'm anti-choice but pro-foeticide. Every 5th foetus conceived should be terminated to reduce overpopulation :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Completely against it, sex is always a risk which one should be prepared to take, deal with the consequences whether good or bad.

I'm completely against it because you're killing a life form. I'm not a tree hugger or anything of the sort and won't soak about an animal dying but just imagine if you had been the baby in 9 months time? Ask yourself the question. Would you have wanted to be killed, because of an "accident"? I think not.

However as silly as it may sound I can somehow accept that the mother should be allowed to do as she pleases, as she'll be having it.

So mixed feelings really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocketfulofposy)
    Not in the USA! There are some pro-lifers there, who want it illegal in ALL situations, no exceptions.
    I agree with this, it is not uncommon for people i know to take that stance

ReputationRep:
    Nay!!!

ReputationRep:
    It depends if the foetus has a developed nervous system in my view. If they can feel pain; "nay".

ReputationRep:
    nm

ReputationRep:
    There was vote last year in the House of Commons to reduce the UK abortion limit. It was rejected because the scientific evidence to support it was not conclusive. Not enough premature babies were surviving prior to the limit to warrant the limit being reduced.
    If you knew that, why make a false statement? It doesn't matter how many are surviving, the fact of the matter is some are surviving. That vote was marginal. The current 24-week limit is an absolute joke tbh. Murder in all but name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon12345)
    I'd rather be an unwanted child than not exist at all!
    You may well have died along with your mother, on a brutal and barbaric backstreet abortionists' operating table. Legalising abortion saved lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    I am pro-choice. Plus, it really gets on my nerves when religous types use the scriptures and what-not to justify the pro-life argument. (pic related)

It is not hypocrisy, most religious groups who are against homosexuality, accept people being gay but do not accept the act they partake in, therefore of course these people would fight for their children rights.

ReputationRep:
    Pro-choice, though I think it should be lowered to 20 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nouvelle_vague)
    I thought it was quite a naive post of hers, IMO. Obviously too young to realise that motherhood is not a walk in the park and having GCSEs and ALevels won't prepare her for a life of having nothing but a child to look after and thoughts of a life she could have been leading.
    Oh, brother. Are you implying if she weren't "young and naive," and she realized that motherhood is hard, that would make abortion okay in her eyes? I can't even begin to express how sickening this is to hear. You know what else "isn't a walk in the park"? Caring for old people. Should we kill them, too? Sometimes teenagers are a pain in the ass, too. Should we kill them? How about mentally disabled people?

I agree with most reasonable people, that there are instances when abortion is acceptable (such as rape or danger to the life of the mother), but the argument that babies are inconvenient is truly disgusting.

Besides, there's always adoption.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.