Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DC Doberman)
    However, I have a question for you: Why is the baby's dependence a reasonable reason to deny it rights? Certainly it's not any less dependent once it's born?
    Because, while still completely dependent, the baby isn't dependent on the MOTHER once it's born. If need be the baby can be taken care of by an adopted family or someone more capable.

Before birth, though, the baby has a HUGE amount of needs which can ONLY be satisfied by one person. If that person isn't really capable of dealing with it, there's nobody else who can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BumperBo)
    Because, while still completely dependent, the baby isn't dependent on the MOTHER once it's born. If need be the baby can be taken care of by an adopted family or someone more capable.

Before birth, though, the baby has a HUGE amount of needs which can ONLY be satisfied by one person. If that person isn't really capable of dealing with it, there's nobody else who can.
    Why wouldn't they be able to deal with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    Pregnancy isn't destructive either, women are designed to carry babies. It may be less convenient, sure, but that's about the extent of it (assuming the pregnancy goes normally of course).
    It's called a parasitoid if it's destructive;

a parasite just exploits the host and causes physical detriment OR harm. So getting all big squishy slow and needy is detrimental to the woman's overall fitness.

ReputationRep:
    Why wouldn't they be able to deal with it?
    If they're poor or like... 7 years old? It's rare but some girls can get pregnant at that age (extreme case i know but seriously obvious questionlol)

ReputationRep:
    It's called a parasitoid if it's destructive;

a parasite just exploits the host and causes physical detriment OR harm. So getting all big squishy slow and needy is detrimental to the woman's overall fitness.

A parasite is "an organism that lives on or in an organism of another species, known as the host, from the body of which it obtains nutriment."

So it doesn't necessarily have to cause harm or be detrimental to the host's health to be a parasite. And a woman getting big and squishy is hardly an argument for abortion. :p:

If they're poor or like... 7 years old? It's rare but some girls can get pregnant at that age (extreme case i know but seriously obvious questionlol)
    I think the youngest ever was 9 (the girl went through with the pregnancy and was fine, also). But that's a pretty extreme case, an adult woman is designed to handle it fine.

ReputationRep:
    A parasite is "an organism that lives on or in an organism of another species, known as the host, from the body of which it obtains nutriment."
    That's one definition there are other, less dumbed down ones. :P

And a woman getting big and squishy is hardly an argument for abortion. :p:
    DON'T TREAD ON ME! >

lol i know, it's just there's nothing else going on... everyone in britain is either asleep or getting laid and experiencing this decision firsthand :/ lucky bums

ReputationRep:
    I think the youngest ever was 9 (the girl went through with the pregnancy and was fine, also). But that's a pretty extreme case, an adult woman is designed to handle it fine.
    It was actually a 5 year old :P

http://www.snopes.com/pregnant/medina.asp

Not that that really means anything about anything I just love the story xD

ReputationRep:
    That's one definition there are other, less dumbed down ones. :P
    2.a person who receives support, advantage, or the like, from another or others without giving any useful or proper return, as one who lives on the hospitality of others.
    3.(in ancient Greece) a person who received free meals in return for amusing or impudent conversation, flattering remarks, etc.

Those are the others. ;D

DON'T TREAD ON ME! >

lol i know, it's just there's nothing else going on... everyone in britain is either asleep or getting laid and experiencing this decision firsthand :/ lucky bums
    hahaha. I doubt anyone's getting laid at 8 in the morning. :P

ReputationRep:
    Nay

ReputationRep:
    2.a person who receives support, advantage, or the like, from another or others without giving any useful or proper return, as one who lives on the hospitality of others.
    3.(in ancient Greece) a person who received free meals in return for amusing or impudent conversation, flattering remarks, etc.

Those are the others. ;D
    From the ever intellectual dictionary.com i assume? :P

hahaha. I doubt anyone's getting laid at 8 in the morning. :P
    Really? Morning sex isn't very big across the pond? boringgggg

ReputationRep:
    From the ever intellectual dictionary.com i assume? :P
    Of course. But the American Heritage Dictionary says "An organism that grows, feeds, and is sheltered on or in a different organism while contributing nothing to the survival of its host."

Really? Morning sex isn't very big across the pond? boringgggg
    Morning sex takes place when people actually wake up on a weekend. Give them until noon. :P

ReputationRep:
    Morning sex takes place when people actually wake up on a weekend. Give them until noon. :P
    ... what time is noon there?

ReputationRep:
    ... what time is noon there?
    ...12 pm. So in about 3 hours and 45 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    It was actually a 5 year old :P

http://www.snopes.com/pregnant/medina.asp

Not that that really means anything about anything I just love the story xD
    you love the story..? it's a horrific and tragic story about a 5 year old who was raped. what is there to love?

ReputationRep:
    As a Christian, I can't agree with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DC Doberman)
    Does that include female babies' bodies? I know it's a cheap shot, but it really lies at the heart of the dispute. "when do people begin to have rights" is the issue needing addressing. Of course women have rights, but so do the little people they're imposing their will upon.

As far as my "burden speech" goes, I was merely pointing out that inconvenience is an absolutely abhorrent justification for taking life. You clearly agree. Now, the only question needing an answer is "when does life become human."

And I can't speak for other men, but I know that if I made a girl pregnant, I would beg her not to have an abortion, and if she didn't want a "******-up life," I would gladly raise the child myself.
    See, this is why a woman trying to have a rational argument with a male pro-life nut job never goes easy. I don't know what 'abhorrent justification' I supposedly agree with, you're making reference to, whether the fact that you think I believe all elderly troublesome teenagers deserve to be shot, or what... If so, I think that only enhances the fact that you're an absolute moron.

The fact is, even when a child is born on its due date, it is still hugely dependent on its mother. Beforethat, particularly the time margain within a woman can have an abortion, odds are that was it born under natural circumstances, the child would not be able to survive without being hooked up to machines for months on end, suffering and as a result of being under developed, it would be at larger risk of health problems than a fully developed baby and therefore, again, would suffer.

I find it quite bizarre that you argue about human rights, but only in the case of an un-born, underdeveloped foetus. You have continuously ignored the rights of a woman to control her own body, as well as her rights to survive and live how she so chooses. Reality is, you as a man should have NO say what happens to a woman's foetus because it's not your body... I'll reiterate what I said before; you have no idea the amount of stress a woman goes through and how hard it would be for her to give up her child for adoption or a potential child via abortion. NO easy option and the fact that you continue to ignore the fact that there is a woman involved in this argument just goes to show what kind of person you are and how little you know about the topic.

Also, Who are you to decide what your girlfriend does to her body? As a man, you should have absolutley no rights at all until the child is born. You don't have the emotional attachment to the child until it is developed outside the womb, via interaction with the child etc. A woman has this attachment within her from the moment of conception,and likliehood is, regardless of the outcome, abortion, adoption, birth, she'll still have that connection for the rest of her life. You don't have to allow your body to suffer the consequences of either abortion OR giving birth to a child then giving it away. You're male, you have no idea so really your argument is totally redundant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alice._-)
    in the end it is up to the woman who is pregnant, so it doesn't really matter what any of you think.
    Not just pregnant women...women in general.

ReputationRep:
    I love the "it's her body" argument and the blatant disregard for the fact that the baby has a body too.

ReputationRep:
    It becomes a "baby" when the sperm hits it anyways that's what pro-lifers always tell me :dontknow:
    I think it's a baby when it comes out but w/e

Some people do! It's called Catholicism iirc :judge:
    Pro lifers are illogical

And Catholics only believe that all sex should be with the aim of pro creation, they don't go quite as far as saying you have to have one for every egg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertPires)
    Pro lifers are illogical
    How so?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.