Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DC Doberman)
    But when does a fetus become a child? certainly at that point the right to life would override the right to avoid a complicated life. Okay, so you're pro-choice at two months, what about 4, or 5?

And by the way, there is a HUGE demand for newborn babies to adopt, they don't just get "left to the side."
    I believe that after the 24th week of pregnancy, when abortion is no longer legal, is when the fetus begins to have rights.

Maybe there is a huge demand for newborn babies, that doesn't mean that if i continue the pregnancy there is a certainty that my baby will be adopted, what if i didn't want to take that risk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    you love the story..? it's a horrific and tragic story about a 5 year old who was raped. what is there to love?
    it's funny? just don't think about it seriously and it's hilarious XP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    I love the "it's her body" argument and the blatant disregard for the fact that the baby has a body too.
    It doesn't have a body tho... not yet... really it's just an amorphous blob when abortion is still allowed ^.^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertPires)
    Pro lifers are illogical

And Catholics only believe that all sex should be with the aim of pro creation, they don't go quite as far as saying you have to have one for every egg.
    Lol i was jk about catholicism xP hint of truth but meh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nouvelle_vague)
    Not just pregnant women...women in general.
    Women in general decide whether or not any given preggo should be allowed an abortion? Is there some sort of committee?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nouvelle_vague)
    I find it quite bizarre that you argue about human rights, but only in the case of an un-born, underdeveloped foetus. You have continuously ignored the rights of a woman to control her own body, as well as her rights to survive and live how she so chooses. Reality is, you as a man should have NO say what happens to a woman's foetus because it's not your body... I'll reiterate what I said before; you have no idea the amount of stress a woman goes through and how hard it would be for her to give up her child for adoption or a potential child via abortion. NO easy option and the fact that you continue to ignore the fact that there is a woman involved in this argument just goes to show what kind of person you are and how little you know about the topic.

Also, Who are you to decide what your girlfriend does to her body? As a man, you should have absolutley no rights at all until the child is born. You don't have the emotional attachment to the child until it is developed outside the womb, via interaction with the child etc. A woman has this attachment within her from the moment of conception,and likliehood is, regardless of the outcome, abortion, adoption, birth, she'll still have that connection for the rest of her life. You don't have to allow your body to suffer the consequences of either abortion OR giving birth to a child then giving it away. You're male, you have no idea so really your argument is totally redundant.
    Ok I'm actually gonna have to be serious here for a moment :eek:

NO rights about my child? Sure the 1st 9 months of work/pain are the women's but the rest are shared by the man too (in most cases) and the man should have some say in it.

Giving men the right to force abortions if the child were theirs would obviously be too cruel. Maybe just say that, if the man voices their objection soon enough, he would have no obligation to take care of the baby if the woman chooses to ignore his opinion?

ReputationRep:
    ...12 pm. So in about 3 hours and 45 minutes.
    ... that's what I was asking since i have no clue what the time difference is lol

ReputationRep:
    think its prochoice because who else really has the right to interfere in your life.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Not rape?
    not unless the mother is suicidal from it (as that would be risk to the mother's life, obviously)

ReputationRep:
    whyyyyyyyyyy do people make these threads aaaaaaaaarrrgggghhhhhh

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth bringing an unloved child in to this world?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    not unless the mother is suicidal from it (as that would be risk to the mother's life, obviously)
    well, fair enough, that being your opinion, though I'd have to vehemently disagree: I don't think we should be forcing, or even encouraging, a woman to keep a child conceived through rape (the implication being the lack of consent).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    whyyyyyyyyyy do people make these threads aaaaaaaaarrrgggghhhhhh
    It's good to engage in (mildly) intelligent discussion about sensitive topics.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    well, fair enough, that being your opinion, though I'd have to vehemently disagree: I don't think we should be forcing, or even encouraging, a woman to keep a child conceived through rape (the implication being the lack of consent).
    I would never force anybody to do anything, and if somebody who had been raped and was pregnant as a result, came to me for advice, I would tell them that nobody can make that decision for them.

But privately I would hope that they decision they'd come to would be to keep the baby. I'm entitled to my own opinion.

We can agree to disagree, that's fine by me, I'm aware that the general TSR consensus is pro-choice, I've been through this a million times before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BumperBo)
    Ok I'm actually gonna have to be serious here for a moment :eek:

NO rights about my child? Sure the 1st 9 months of work/pain are the women's but the rest are shared by the man too (in most cases) and the man should have some say in it.

Giving men the right to force abortions if the child were theirs would obviously be too cruel. Maybe just say that, if the man voices their objection soon enough, he would have no obligation to take care of the baby if the woman chooses to ignore his opinion?
    Obviously you're a decent guy, but in a lot of cases when it comes to women getting pregnant a guy can easily just go '**** you, your problem, deal, bye!' and you never see him again. Therefore no, I don't think men should have a say in whether or not a woman aborts a foetus.

From the moment of conception, a woman's body prepares itself for motherhood and automatically has an emotional connection to the foetus growing inside of her. The connection the male has isn't created until there is a child born and it can be made through physical interaction with the child (holding, hugging, playing etc) a mother's connection goes so much deeper than a man's ever could and that's why I believe men should have no say in what happens to a foetus.

At the end of the day it's not realy anyone's child until its born. When we think about the potential outcome we think rainbows and lollipops, we see everything through rose tinted glasses and everyone is happy and wealthy and can take little junior to lego land in the summer, but that's not your child at all, that's what your brain wants, but in reality not what it gets if a child isn't concieved in ideal circumstances.

And no, smart arse, there are no committees :p: I meant that a woman should be able to decide in general what she does with her body, not just a pregnant woman!

ReputationRep:
    i'll try anything once

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    It's good to engage in (mildly) intelligent discussion about sensitive topics.

Totally agree. It's far better than "he touched my nose, does he like me? Are we in love? Do i have herpes!?" topics in H&R.

I personally relish in debates such as this. As long as people don't get ridiculous and go LOOK PISS OFF I DON'T AGREE and stamp their internet feet, a decent argument where you can find out other points of view than your own, should be more encouraged if you ask me

ReputationRep:
    How so?
    Believing that something which isn't actually cognitive yet has rights or is a baby?

ReputationRep:
    I would never force anybody to do anything, and if somebody who had been raped and was pregnant as a result, came to me for advice, I would tell them that nobody can make that decision for them.

But privately I would hope that they decision they'd come to would be to keep the baby. I'm entitled to my own opinion.

We can agree to disagree, that's fine by me, I'm aware that the general TSR consensus is pro-choice, I've been through this a million times before.
    Yes, yes, I've already said that's your opinion and I respect that. But rape is one seriously sensitive topic and of we begin to tell women who have been through such a horrific ordeal that they should be keeping the baby, then we're undermining the whole point of rape. But yes, agree to disagree. Also, don't make hasty judgements, I'm not "pro-choice" per se, of course I'd never want to waste potential life, but in cases like rape(where the fundamental aspect of consent is taken away) then I'd completely advocate abortion as the right thing for not only the mother, but the child too.

ReputationRep:
    That's ridiculous! Surely as a mother you understand that your child is the mots beloved thingin your life. You should be able to choose whether to have a child anyway, especially in terms of rape. Why would you want the product of something so abhorrent to be staring you in the face everyday? Everytime you look at your child, a product of the rape you suffered is right there. What a sick sick way to look at life. Disgusting.

You'd think as a woman, you'd have more understanding and respect for your fellow ladies. Obviously not.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.