The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't really see how they're overpaid. Do they not earn their money through ticket sales, merchandise etc?
Who cares, I don't pay them. They offer a service which they are paid for according to simple market principles... I don't see how anyone can say that they are 'overpaid'.
Reply 3
Easy.

Begin with the statement

Qualify that with some examples - i.e. Average Premier League wage, Highest Earners

Free Market? Supply and Demand

Influence of Agents

Sustainability.

Expand on all of those points and evaluate and you are sorted.
You could say that:
Many people watch it, and massive TV rights deals mean that they get paid massive wages.
You can't blame them for what they get paid; who's going to turn down 120k a week?
They are rolemodels to children, and promote good fitness etc., making it worthwhile.

Or:
They don't save lives so they don't deserve to be paid that much.
Wages should be capped so that the clubs with the most money cannot lure the best players.
It's not sustainable, since some clubs are making massive losses every year.

Up to you I guess, unless you want to look at both sides of the coin.
come up with some examples of how much players get and how its rising, mention takeovers from rich Arab and Russian consortia (Man City and Chelsea) offering John Terry £300,000 a week for example. Then on the other hand mention how there's a massive gap between this and what players in the lower leagues get i.e. about £800 a week, not a bad wage by any means but nowhere near the amounts premiership players get. Supply and demand being the cause for such inflated wages and transfer fees, since world class players are very difficult to come by.
In my opinion:

Footballers are essentially employees of the clubs that they play for. If Manchester United wants to pay Rooney by the millions, they have every right to do so, because it's their money.
You could look at personal reactions to every time the wages and transfer fees have been surpassed with people questioning their worth. For example, a friend of mine did this whose parents work in the tertiary sector stating that their worth is minimal because of their lack of physical production such as factory workers. This was handy because it meant my parents should be earning what his are (guessing it's 70k in total) as mine are manual workers!

Usually people will cite doctors and nurses should get more money than footballers. It's a common example.
Yawn....supply and demand?
Reply 9
Or point out a team salary cap like in all the US sports would make the sport more competitive which gives a free market so players can earn what they want but clubs won't pay them that as they need a full team of 11
Reply 10
In my opinion the footballer is not to blame, if i was offered that much money to do my dream job i'd jump at the chance.
If you don't agree with it then don't buy into it, don't watch the games, don't buy the merchandise etc.
If enough people did that then their pay would be reduced, but to be frank- that isn't going to happen.
only a few number earn that amount, well the big name, you can talk about the gap in pay for premiership to league 2

the highest paid sports star is a baseball player for the New York Yankees gets paid $275 million for a 10 year contract, thats not including any money he makes on top, lot more then most footballers, Alexander Rodriguez is his name
could be a point made that their are people in sport that get played a hell of a lot more then footballers
Reply 12
thanks for the advce guys, and im gonna expand on my point about sportsmen being overpaid, so i can talk about more. idea came from Robinson999, i understand what some of u r saying about they r not that overpaid, but in some of my research i found out that an average paid premier league footballer gets paid more than a nurse does is 6 years! in my opinion that is not fair
Reply 13
talk about cristiano ronaldo and kaka's moves to real madrid and how those transfers are funded thru current president florentino perez taking out loans with 2 major banks in spain see article - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jun/16/real-madrid-loans-debt

also talk about sky and tv money injected into the premier league in its inception year of season 1992/93 e.g bigger transfer funds and therefore higher calibre of player = higher transfer fee and as a result players want higher wages

compare their weekly and yearly wages with that of public sector workers services like police etc

talk about the campaign which even had a tv prog on channel 4 about nurses going to football clubs about the wage differences and the subsequent campaign - http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2007/mar/01/health.healthandwellbeing

compare with the expenses of mp's and the bbc and whether the same should be done for footballers

foreign investment e.g takeover - chelsea,man city,man utd.lpool etc but also the subsequent debt it can leave the clubs in also

merchandise and shirt sales for the big clubs - look at cristiano ronaldo again and the other ronaldo and alan shearer for examples at how the players themselves are effective cash cows for the clubs they play for and represent

sorry ive waffled or repeated bits of previous posts but hope it helps :woo:
Kirsty...x
thanks for the advce guys, and im gonna expand on my point about sportsmen being overpaid, so i can talk about more. idea came from Robinson999, i understand what some of u r saying about they r not that overpaid, but in some of my research i found out that an average paid premier league footballer gets paid more than a nurse does is 6 years! in my opinion that is not fair

But how isn't it fair? If people didn't pay for tickets, buy football kits etc, then the wages for footballers wouldn't be as high.
I don't feel as though they're overpaid, but I'd rather they actually got fined every time they demonstrated inapparopriate behaviour. So many people, of all ages, watch football, and to have players headbutt each other, pick fights, shout vulgar insults and slur swear words at each other is just rediculous.

If they're going to be paid that much, they should live up to their responsibility as celebrities and behave in an acceptable manner.

Obviously not all footballers are like this, but it gets beyond a joke when they headbutt each other over a tackle.
Reply 16
Footballers deserve the money they get. Some may seem arrogent but think about the scarifices they have had to give throughout thier lives. Going outside everyday in the cold and rain to train, running until they are physically sick, eating and drinking the most boring foods....

People say footballers are overpaid but that's because they don't understand. You have to look at everyone who's in the public eye... actors.. what do they do? Yet they get paid millions.... Musicians... sit about on thier back sides all day do nothing...
addylad
You could say that:
Many people watch it, and massive TV rights deals mean that they get paid massive wages.
You can't blame them for what they get paid; who's going to turn down 120k a week?
They are rolemodels to children, and promote good fitness etc., making it worthwhile.

Or:
They don't save lives so they don't deserve to be paid that much.
Wages should be capped so that the clubs with the most money cannot lure the best players.
It's not sustainable, since some clubs are making massive losses every year.

Up to you I guess, unless you want to look at both sides of the coin.

:lolwut: how does that work?
Reply 18
evodario

Musicians... sit about on thier back sides all day do nothing...

Mmm, agree with the majority of what you're saying except that. All the talented bands/musicians spend so much time touring, make only enough money to get by as their income comes from selling merch at gigs with everyone downloading, while all the commercial musicians who usually have no talent (i.e. they don't write their own music and even if they did it's still usually generic beats with crap lyrics) still don't earn more than most premiership footballers.
Reply 19
I dont understand why this comparison of nurses/doctors to footballers/entertainers is shown all the time? :s-smilie:

Usually those who fall ill and require medical care are the old, the poor, the disabled etc.
The majority of them will not be earning anything or much at all, hence not much money towards funding the sector and thus the wages cannot be massively high.

The people who now watch football are changing. With Sky, more people are watching the game and a lot of top clubs are having to cater to the very rich, with the corporate boxes and the like.
Simply, those with money watch the game, and thus more money comes into it.

Its like with cosmetic surgery. Why do those doctors/surgeons earn more? Because the rich are the ones who want it and thus more money into that area, hence higher wages.

Latest