Turn on thread page Beta

rude customer took pics of me, should i quit my job? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stomm)
    Its a bit iffy to take photos of kids without their parent's permission. But unless you have copywrited your own image, then reporducing a semblence of it (say by posting a photo on the internet) is not illegal.

So if you ever want to stay out of the papers, then copywrite your face. Then if someone wants to publish a photo of you, then you can charge them copywrite, and failure to pay you for publishing it would allow you to sue them...
    You can't get copyright over your own image! Getting copyright in photographs is a real pain in the arse and that's not the route you would go. I think what you're alluding to is the trademarking of one's own image. This is very difficult especially the more famous you are (and hence the more valuable your photo is) and must meet a set of other criteria.

Plus, there are a range of defences for use of a trademark such as for the purposes of review or criticism or use in the public interest (which would cover the use of the trademark in newspapers!).

So your way fails too. Where'd you get your information anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fragreaper)
    I would suggest that the posters disagreeing with me simply quote some legislation to the contrary rather than obtusely repeating "no, you can't". www.opsi.gov.uk contains nigh all on recent legislation. I will however say, that no such law exists.
    And just to be really pedantic because you're trying to be smart and suggesting someone quote something at you that defies your indelible logic:

See the case of Von Hannover v Germany, which is an ECHR case directly relevant to the tort of misuse of private information (since the tort is essentially the application of Article 8 against Article 10 through the breach of confidence action). This is the stated position across Europe and should be the position the UK adopts when such a case comes in front of an English Court. This states that any picture taken directly of you in a public place regardless of the nature of the activity, is potentially actionable (if it meets other factors and isn't defeated by the public interest etc; not relevant here).

And what the other chap says about kids is likely true following the JK Rowling case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WildBerrySpirit)
    I don't know why everyone's having a go at the OP. Who gives a **** whether his/her eyebrows were shaved off. The fact is a bunch of pricks decided to take pictures without permission, I'd be pretty ticked off if someone did that to me. Report them if you want or if you see them again, confront them.

^^^ This.

I think shaving your eyebrows off is a pretty silly thing to do but that's completely irrelevant. (My sister did it a couple of years ago, it was kinda funny)

But anyways OP, it's not that they were being mean to you, you can't report them for that, however they were taking pictures of you without your consent and that's not on. So, yes, I would report them for that.

Also, maybe you should draw them on with an eye pencil untill they grow back..eyebrows grow pretty quickly, so it shouldn't be do long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    pls keep anon

i dont post on tsr much but it was the first place i could come to about this

i just got back from work which was probs the worst day ever

i shaved my eyebrows off a couple of days ago when very drunk and was dreading work/going out in public ever since.

today, i had a groupd of grown men (in their 30s) queing up and they were laughing/taking the piss and holding their camera phone out right infront of me. at first i thought they were taking pics of one of their mates who was sat down on the seat across the room, but it was of me and when i served them they were all like gigling and stuff which is when i realised that they took pics of me

shoudl i report them or do i forget about it? i feel like **** and dont want to go back to work. it's so embarassing cos i think all the customers saw them doing it.

please help, i want to kill myself
    Grow some balls, or in your case some eyebrows and just get on with it :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneEyedYellowIdol)
    And just to be realy pedantic because you're trying to be smart and suggesting someone quote something at you that defies your indelible logic:

See the case of Von Hannover v Germany, which is an ECHR case directly relevant to the tort of misuse of private information (since the tort is essentially the application of Article 8 against Article 10 through the breach of confidence action). This is the stated position across Europe and should be the position the UK adopts when such a case comes in front of an English Court. This states that any picture taken directly of you in a public place regardless of the nature of the activity, is potentially actionable (if it meets other factors and isn't defeated by the public interest etc; not relevant here).

And what the other chap says about kids is likely true following the JK Rowling case.
    But that wouldn't make it illegal would it now?

That would make it an actionable civil wrong, not a criminal offence. Only the latter is 'illegal' which is what most people seem to be saying here.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you even quoting von hannover / JK rowling caselaw, both of those cases refered to publishing a photograph and the remedy being damages/injunction.

Absolutely 0% applicability to a photo taken for private purposes.

ReputationRep:
    What a horrible group of men ... :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneEyedYellowIdol)
    And just to be realy pedantic because you're trying to be smart and suggesting someone quote something at you that defies your indelible logic:

You appear to have missed the crux of the matter in , namely:

This means that failure by the UK courts and the PCC to protect individuals against publication of pictures, and by extension stories, merely for "entertainment purposes" where there is no public interest, will be a breach of the Article 8 rights of an individual.
    Von Hannover v Germany, whilst an interesting case, relates to publication and the associated invasion of privacy, not simply the act of taking the picture.

Let's use the OP's case, let's assume their place of work is a public place, someone has come in and taken a picture of them without their permission. Simply being at work isn't a private act, and let's assume the store doesn't have signs up prohibiting photography. Also, let's assume that the image isn't published in the Daily Mail, does he have civil or criminal recourse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Creepy)
    lol, you're an idiot. Learn from your mistakes and get over it, you can't report someone to the police for 'being mean'. Grow up & don't be such a tool next time you're drunk.
    Agreed, you do need to learn from your mistakes and face consequences of slight humiliation but if I'm not mistaken it is illegal for someone to take a direct photograph of you without your permission and so you could report them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lufc89)
    Agreed, you do need to learn from your mistakes and face consequences of slight humiliation but if I'm not mistaken it is illegal for someone to take a direct photograph of you without your permission and so you could report them.
    Report them to who precisely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i dunno if i should report them, but i if i do, it'll be to my work place. i'll probably say something along the lines of how i didn't feel safe because i was so humiliated and really shaky when i finished serving them
    Oh my god grow a pair!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fragreaper)
    Report them to who precisely?
    The only people it could be reported to is whoever is in charge at the place of work because they can then see if they can obtain CCTV footage of the men and forward it to the police.

ReputationRep:
    The only people it could be reported to is whoever is in charge at the place of work because they can then see if they can obtain CCTV footage of the men and forward it to the police.
    On the facts given, the police would have no interest in this incident, as there has been no criminal offence committed.

ReputationRep:
    The police would just laugh your arse out of the station.

ReputationRep:
    Do I need permission to photograph someone in public?
    No. If you are standing in a public space, you do not need permission to take their photograph

Do I need permission to photograph property?
    No. If the property can be photographed from a public place you do not need permission.

What about if I am on private property?
    You need permission to enter private property and the owner of the property can impose any conditions they wish on your entry. This could include a ban on photography or a fee for taking pictures.

Can a police officer require that I delete pictures from my camera or hand over the memory card?
    No, not without a warrant.

Where can't I take photographs?
    You need permission to take pictures in Trafalgar Square and Parliament Square if they are for commercial purposes (the permission is expensive). There are also some military sites where photography is banned, but these are well signed.

Don't people have a right to privacy?
    In UK law there is no specific right to privacy in public places. The European Convention on Human Rights gives a 'right to private and family life' In UK law you do not have a right to privacy in a public place.

Can I be prosecuted for harrassment if I take pictures without permission?
    Very unlikely. in UK law harassment is defined as a course of conduct which amounts to harassment of another which the defendant knows, or ought to know amounts to harassment of another. Taking a single picture or even several pictures is unlikely to be considered a course of conduct. [legal opinion sought]

Can I take pictures of children in the park?
    Yes, and provided the park is considered a public place, you do not require the permission of the parents. Whether this is wise or not is up to you to decide (see this story for example)

http://www.sirimo.co.uk/wp-content/u...srights-v2.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iain 815)
    In essence, yes; however one would hope that the officers would be slightly more professional about it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iain 815)
    Yeah I'm sure they would but that doesn't mean that it isn't illegal for someone to take your direct photo without your permission. If victim found suitable evidence he would have a case to sue the men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tutee4help)
    But that wouldn't make it illegal would it now?

That would make it an actionable civil wrong, not a criminal offence. Only the latter is 'illegal' which is what most people seem to be saying here.
    I didn't say illegal anywhere in my post. I'm just pointing out the action available because of people on this post apparently using 'illegal' to refer to anything that is actionable.

ReputationRep:
    ..long story short, op you either need to grow some balls and laugh it off, perhaps draw on some temporary eyebrows with a glitter pen, or not get so drunk in the future. wouldnt have killed you to laugh it off with them really.. or wear a hat

ReputationRep:
    Please tell me this is some sort of joke >_<

Yeah I'm sure they would but that doesn't mean that it
    isn't illegal for someone to take your direct photo without your permission. If victim found suitable evidence he would have a case to sue the men.
    For what exactly?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.