End of Year Blues Watch

This discussion is closed.
Year 5 Teacher
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Are there any other new(ish) primary teachers out there who don't enjoy the end of the school year,
because they have to say goodbye to the class they've taught all year?
Slieber24
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
In article <[email protected] >, "Year 5 teacher" <[email protected]> writes:

[q1]>Are there any other new(ish) primary teachers out there who don't enjoy the end of the school year,[/q1]
[q1]>because they have to say goodbye to the class they've taught all year?[/q1]

I'm not newish but for the most part, while I don't dread the end of the year, I do dislike saying
goodbye to a good class. I'll be sad to lose the current bunch.

----------------------------------------------------
Sandi

Remove NoSpam to reply.
User 1951
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Sun, 7 Jul 2002 15:54:46 +0100, "Year 5 teacher" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>Are there any other new(ish) primary teachers out there who don't enjoy the end of the school year,[/q1]
[q1]>because they have to say goodbye to the class they've taught all year?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
I could not be described as new and I teach in secondary. However I always dislike losing a class
even though they have been mixed in terms of likability

I have had my present class for four years and have one more to go. Yes it will be a wrench when I
have to let go of the pleasure and the pain...and the paperwork....

**** http://user1951.tripod.com ****
Information about films,
Jack London, Lara Croft
Shakespeare and ICT program of study
last updated 30 05 2002
Rr
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"SLieber24" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> In article <[email protected] >, "Year 5 teacher" <[email protected]> writes:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >Are there any other new(ish) primary teachers out there who don't[/q2]
enjoy the
[q2]> >end of the school year, because they have to say goodbye to the[/q2]
class
[q2]> >they've taught all year?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I'm not newish but for the most part, while I don't dread the end of[/q1]
the year,
[q1]> I do dislike saying goodbye to a good class. I'll be sad to lose the[/q1]
current
[q1]> bunch.[/q1]

What's worse is that on the day my Year 6s go to their Senior school for induction, I meet my new
class. When my lot return later the same day, they are keen to know how I got on. I have to be very
diplomatic, having spent all year telling the old lot that they're the best thing since sliced
bread! rosie
Sarah
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I always feel sad to say goodbye to a class, and I'm not a new teacher. I have even been know to
shed a tear, as I may do this year, with a really super class. When you go back in Sept its never
quite the same - some even seem to forget they were ever in your class! But then there's always a
new crew to break in.

--
Sarah SLieber24 <[email protected]> wrote in message
[q1]> In article <[email protected] >, "Year 5 teacher" <[email protected]> writes:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >Are there any other new(ish) primary teachers out there who don't enjoy[/q2]
the
[q2]> >end of the school year, because they have to say goodbye to the class they've taught all year?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I'm not newish but for the most part, while I don't dread the end of the[/q1]
year,
[q1]> I do dislike saying goodbye to a good class. I'll be sad to lose the[/q1]
current
[q1]> bunch.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> ----------------------------------------------------[/q1]
[q1]> Sandi[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Remove NoSpam to reply.[/q1]
Year 5 Teacher
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
You have your class well trained, then you have to start all over again. It's like going through
a bereavement in some cases, or being taken out of your family environemt and dropped into
someone elses.

"SLieber24" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[q2]> >I always feel sad to say goodbye to a class, and I'm not a new teacher. I have even been know to[/q2]
[q2]> >shed a tear, as I may do this year, with a really super class. When you go back in Sept its never[/q2]
[q2]> >quite the same - some[/q2]
even
[q2]> >seem to forget they were ever in your class! But then there's always a[/q2]
new
[q2]> >crew to break in.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I know what you mean. I have to keep reminding myself at the start of the[/q1]
year
[q1]> that it's the beginning again, it's the beginning again. The previous[/q1]
class
[q1]> could almost read my mind by the end of the year.... :-)[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> ----------------------------------------------------[/q1]
[q1]> Sandi[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Remove NoSpam to reply.[/q1]
Jack
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]>[/q1]

Sorry I'm a hardened cynic ... by now I usually feel like shouting good riddance to my
current class.

Jack
Jacquie Long
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I I always find it sad to say goodbye to my class but really look forward to having another go with
the next lot! One day I might succeed!
--
Jacquie Long
Sarah
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
What a shame.

--
Sarah Jack <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q2]> >Are there any other new(ish) primary teachers out there who don't enjoy[/q2]
the
[q2]> >end of the school year, because they have to say goodbye to the class they've taught all year?[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Sorry I'm a hardened cynic ... by now I usually feel like shouting good riddance to my[/q1]
[q1]> current class.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Jack[/q1]
Penny
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[email protected] (User 1951) wrote in message news:<[email protected] eserve.net>...
[q1]> On Sun, 7 Jul 2002 15:54:46 +0100, "Year 5 teacher" <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >Are there any other new(ish) primary teachers out there who don't enjoy the end of the school[/q2]
[q2]> >year, because they have to say goodbye to the class they've taught all year?[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]> I could not be described as new and I teach in secondary. However I always dislike losing a class[/q1]
[q1]> even though they have been mixed in terms of likability [/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I have had my present class for four years and have one more to go. Yes it will be a wrench when I[/q1]
[q1]> have to let go of the pleasure and the pain...and the paperwork....[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> ******************************** ****[/q1]
[q1]> **** http://user1951.tripod.com ****[/q1]
[q1]> Information about films,[/q1]
[q1]> Jack London, Lara Croft[/q1]
[q1]> Shakespeare and ICT program of study[/q1]
[q1]> last updated 30 05 2002[/q1]

I'm definitely an "old" teacher, with only 21 months left to do. This year's class of 5-6 year olds
was my favourite ever. . . .wonderful children in all respects, not over bright any of them, but
such enthusiastic and hard working children, each one full of character.

Sadly I only got to teach them for 5 weeks, then lost my voice. This time it won't come back,
despite extensive speech therapy, so I'm having to apply for ill-health retirement. I would have
been so sad to see them move on, but I left them one day, fully expecting to be back within the
week, and that was it.

It's a sad way to end my teaching career too, just fizzling out so to speak, but I wouldn't be
honest if I didn't admit that I was enjoying teaching less and less, thanks to all the government's
wonderful ideas for making us into better teachers and all our children into silk purses. I'm still
missing it though (but not report writing!)

Penny
Grand Poobah
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I had my first class as Yr 4s last year. My job changed this year and I've taught them once or twice
a week as well as every other class in the school. As my first class, they are still very special
and having kept that bond with them this year, well, now through nobody's fault and nobody's choice
I have to leave. The kids are unhappy, I'm unhappy...I think I've cried every night for two months
since I found out my contract couldn't be renewed. That's what you call end of year blues - or maybe
over-sensitivity. or maybe just plain stupid, I don't know...

Donna
[email protected]
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
In article <[email protected] uk>, Grand Poobah
<[email protected] co.uk> wrote:
[q1]> I think I've cried every night for two months since I found out my contract couldn't be renewed.[/q1]

1yr on temporary contracts in the same place automatically give you full rights of employment. It
used to be 2 yrs for full rights.

If there really is no job, there should be a redundancy - and not necessarily you. There are
procedures that must be followed.

Time to *urgently* consult your union - you might not be being fairly treated.

--
Gertie.

Award-winning bog cleaner, agony aunt and now Latin scholar. Veni, vidi, Vim (I came, I saw,
I cleaned)
Roddytoo
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Year 5 teacher" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> Are there any other new(ish) primary teachers out there who don't enjoy[/q1]
the
[q1]> end of the school year, because they have to say goodbye to the class they've taught all year?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Still have the same problem after nearly 30 years. However, I know that my[/q1]
unhappiness lasts about as long as theirs, about 5 minutes, then you move on, as you should.
Mm
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Grand Poobah" <[email protected] co.uk> wrote in message
[q1]> Actually, I decided to give my Rep another go - he was great and is in the process of sorting[/q1]
[q1]> things as we speak, even though he says it won't save[/q1]
my
[q1]> job. Thanks for the pep-up![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Donna[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Sympathies.. I have been at the same school on temporary contracts for[/q1]
SEVEN years! I have recently handed over all my old contracts & paperwork to union official for him
to look at and advise me of my rights should the current one not be renewed March 2003. Would be
interested to know the outcome of your investigations! MM.
Grand Poobah
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
No, it's not my school rep - I'm not in the same union as the rest of the staff - it's my local area
rep. Apparently, the school (or LEA) has to find me another contract or it's considered dismissal
which doesn't look good on records. Alternatively they can make it a redundancy but I have to have
worked there for 2 yrs to get redundancy pay. I think this is what will happen - redundancy without
pay. Even if the law says thay have to employ me till Christmas, the school can't afford it and if
finding the money means the kids have to suffer I'd rather go quietly.

It may sound as if there's just been one ****-up after another, and maybe there has, but it doesn't
change the way I feel about the school or the children. I'd still stay if I was given the chance,
although not in my current position. I seem to be finding out about more mistakes regarding the law
as I go along but it's too late to rectify them now, especially without causing really bad feeling.

Thank you all for your interest and support in my tale of woe - it's been good to share it with
objective listeners. If anything else happens I'll let you know :-)

Donna
Greigy
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Tameside Emerald CSC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] .clara.net>...
[q1]> "Year 5 teacher" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q1]> | Are there any other new(ish) primary teachers out there who don't enjoy[/q1]
[q1]> the[/q1]
[q1]> | end of the school year, because they have to say goodbye to the class they've taught all year?[/q1]
[q1]> |[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Ho Ho![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I did, in my first half-term holiday of my first year of teaching. I was genuinely sad to break[/q1]
[q1]> up... but it soon passes.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I might be a bit sad to see my current lot leave as they're Y5/6 and I've had half of them for 2[/q1]
[q1]> years now and the other half for 3. (but I'm keeping half of the half I've only had for 2[/q1]
[q1]> years...) [Boy, that's even confused[/q1]
[q1]> me...][/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> And as much as they annoy me sometimes, they are a very nice bunch of kids...[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Willie.[/q1]

I'd have thought that getting a new group of kids would be right up your street. A whole new bunch
to corrupt with your mindless Irish Republican filth.
Mr Primary Teac
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I've had a very challeneging class this year. They've been hard work. There are one or two that I'll
be glad to "pass on", but there will also be one or two that I will really miss. The couple that are
on my wavelength. i'm not looking forward to the end of next week at all.

"roddytoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> "Year 5 teacher" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]> > Are there any other new(ish) primary teachers out there who don't enjoy[/q2]
[q1]> the[/q1]
[q2]> > end of the school year, because they have to say goodbye to the class they've taught all year?[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Still have the same problem after nearly 30 years. However, I know that[/q2]
my
[q1]> unhappiness lasts about as long as theirs, about 5 minutes, then you move on, as you should.[/q1]
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (96)
18.82%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (324)
63.53%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.71%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.94%

Watched Threads