Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What do you all think about African children when you see them on Comic Relief and things like that? I am thinking of taking a gap year and applying to university during the gap. I may do some voluntary work in Africa to help the starving African children with the Red Cross or something. But to be honest, I don't really want to help for the sake of humanity etc, I just think it will look good on my C.V. I'm not really that bothered about the hungry African children when I see them on T.V. I don't really like them and I had better not catch any tropical diseases or anything. But it would look damn good on my C.V and make me look good and stuff. What do you think about the Africans? I might do the voluntary work and just put up with it (i'll keep telling myself "it's only a few months anyway it's not like i'm spending years here"), not because I really want to, but because it is a way of enhancing my public image/status.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I think it's a good idea for you to go. I think you will find it harder to detatch yourself from the things around you when confronted with starvation and poverty face to face...

http://www.vso.org.uk/ is a good place to start for placements.

ReputationRep:
    The person is obviously being sarcastic.

ReputationRep:
    i wish one of the african kid shoots you with an ak47, not because he wants to but because it will look good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesus09)
    i wish one of the african kid with shoots you with an ak47, not because he wants to but because it will look good.
    What?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Hawk)
    What do you all think about African children when you see them on Comic Relief and things like that? I am thinking of taking a gap year and applying to university during the gap. I may do some voluntary work in Africa to help the starving African children with the Red Cross or something. But to be honest, I don't really want to help for the sake of humanity etc, I just think it will look good on my C.V. I'm not really that bothered about the hungry African children when I see them on T.V. I don't really like them and I had better not catch any tropical diseases or anything. But it would look damn good on my C.V and make me look good and stuff. What do you think about the Africans? I might do the voluntary work and just put up with it (i'll keep telling myself "it's only a few months anyway it's not like i'm spending years here"), not because I really want to, but because it is a way of enhancing my public image/status.
    you are a knob

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    What?
    i wish one of the african kid shoots him with an ak47, not because he wants to but because it will look good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blamps)
    you are a knob
    How insightful. You sir, are a veritable compedium of witticisms.

ReputationRep:
    i wish one of the african kid with shoots you with an ak47, not because he wants to but because it will look good.
    Is this because Black Hawk said he would go to Africa, not because he has any concern about the starving children but because it will 'look good' on his CV?

ReputationRep:
    i wish one of the african kid with shoots him with an ak47, not because he wants to but because it will look good.
    Yes, I can read it, I just don't have any idea what the hell you are trying to say. It's bloody illegible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Is this because Black Hawk said he would go to Africa, not because he has any concern about the starving children but because it will 'look good' on his CV?
    well spotted.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I can read it, I just don't have any idea what the hell you are trying to say. It's bloody illegible!
    no it isnt. it makes sense to others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blamps)
    you are a knob
    You are going for the wrong reasons my friend...do you dislike Africans because of what Black Hawk down portrayed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    I think it's a good idea for you to go. I think you will find it harder to detatch yourself from the things around you when confronted with starvation and poverty face to face...

http://www.vso.org.uk/ is a good place to start for placements.

Thanks i'll check it out.

ReputationRep:
    no it isnt. it makes sense to others.
    I, tragically, have not been blessed with the capability to decipher gibberish - it's a skill beyond me, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    How insightful. You sir, are a veritable compedium of witticisms.
    I wasn;t reffering to you

ReputationRep:
    I, tragically, have not been blessed with the capability to decipher gibberish - it's a skill beyond me, I'm afraid.
    Whitey - it's a skill you'll definitely need to master, particularly for medicine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blamps)
    I wasn;t reffering to you
    I know. I just couldn't resist the opportunity to make fun of a stupid person.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just being honest thats all. I'm not going to pretend 'oh I want to save the world and heal the world and make it a better place for you and me!' and that type of thing. I find that kind of pretentiousness more contemptible than honesty. Of course if someone actually means it then that is different. But alot of people say they want to 'do good' but blatantly have ulterior motives, I am just being honest because anyone worth their salt can see straight through pretentiousness. However, like Pencil Queen has said my attitude may change if I happen to go and see the little starving African children first-hand. But at this moment in time I couldn't care less... I just think it would be good for me and my C.V. *shrugs*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Whitey - it's a skill you'll definitely need to master, particularly for medicine
    I don't see why. It's not like I'll ever have to talk to patients.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.