African children Watch

This discussion is closed.
old account
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Jesus09)
i wish one of the african kid shoots him with an ak47, not because he wants to but because it will look good.
'Thou shalt not kill' Jesus!
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Black Hawk)
I'm just being honest thats all. I'm not going to pretend 'oh I want to save the world and heal the world and make it a better place for you and me!' and that type of thing. I find that kind of pretentiousness more contemptible than honesty. Of course if someone actually means it then that is different. But alot of people say they want to 'do good' but blatantly have ulterior motives, I am just being honest because anyone worth their salt can see straight through pretentiousness. However, like Pencil Queen has said my attitude may change if I happen to go and see the little starving African children first-hand. But at this moment in time I couldn't care less... I just think it would be good for me and my C.V. *shrugs*
It's refreshing to meet a fellow realist amongst all these sanctimonious phoneys. I congratulate you on your motives, it's people like you that make this world great.
Blamps
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mr White)
It's refreshing to meet a fellow realist amongst all these sanctimonious phoneys. I congratulate you on your motives, it's people like you that make this world great.
White, I wonder what you would feel like as a starving child?
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mr White)
I don't see why. It's not like I'll ever have to talk to patients.
lol - maybe not, but unfortunately for them, they will have to talk to you and if you intend to heal them (which you do, don't you?) you will need to be able to understand them.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hungry??
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm just being honest thats all. I'm not going to pretend 'oh I want to save the world and heal the world and make it a better place for you and me!' and that type of thing. I find that kind of pretentiousness more contemptible than honesty. Of course if someone actually means it then that is different. But alot of people say they want to 'do good' but blatantly have ulterior motives, I am just being honest because anyone worth their salt can see straight through pretentiousness. However, like Pencil Queen has said my attitude may change if I happen to go and see the little starving African children first-hand. But at this moment in time I couldn't care less... I just think it would be good for me and my C.V. *shrugs*
Your motives are irrelevent - the fact that you are willing to spend a significant amount of time trying to help others is commendable...and if you're doing because it will look good on your CV I see no difference between you and someone who does it because it will feel good for their conscience...either way the person is doing something practical to help others in a way which will also benefit themselves.

And if your attitude changes when faced with the reality of poverty and you fond yourself able to talk about the things you did and the positive effects they had without feeling like one of the pretentious people you despise then it's all to the good
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Funnily enough, if you were to put on your CV that you went Africa etc and expect them to actually be that impressed..you are mistaken. In an interview, the interviewer would see right through your act. Furthermore, these days many people are charitable things..and actually are sincere about what they are doing...these people will shine thru'...not you.
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
lol - maybe not, but unfortunately for them, they will have to talk to you and if you intend to heal them (which you do, don't you?) you will need to be able to understand them.
I would be suprised to say the least if Mr White's future patients could speak, and perhaps even more stunned were he able to heal them.

He intends to work with the dead, or so I believe.
deary_ma_leary
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i'm going to africa next year to teach for my own benefit (work experience, visiting a beautiful continent, travelling...)but also because i genuinely want to help the kids.
However, I do find it hard to understand how you can feel nothing for the kids starving in Africa.
What do you think of the 6 million Jews killed in the holocaust by the way?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (153)
27.42%
No (405)
72.58%

Watched Threads