Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Some students have time to join lots of societies, some only have time for a few.. some join too many and regret it because they don't fully involve themselves in some of them.

I'm wondering.. how many socs did you join in your first year? Was it good or bad to join lots/only a few of them? How many socs would you advise a 1st year to join?

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    I joined loads of soc in my first year, went to hardly any of them tbh. Regularly went to one though. Join what you want to join, and if you dont end up going, you havent lost much, but definitely join at least one.
    Every society social is on a Wednesday at trent, hence why i only regularly went to one.

ReputationRep:
    Я я!Мумбарбия киргуду.
    I join any team which invites me.Sometimes when somebody invites me to drink with him I never refuse.Even at evening,even with unknown chaps whom I met just a minute ago.
    Ну ты понимаешь: бухло,закусон,компания.Who drinks alone in the corner can feel police democratizator upon his back.So the nice society is where people understand each other without words.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Trent too, which is why one is more than enough. Plus we have to pay (generally) a fiver to join each one, and I only wanted to part with £5 and no more.

ReputationRep:
    not many tbh - if i heard about something interesting i'd just turn up and do it once. College stuff keeps you occupied also.

ReputationRep:
    I only joined one in first year and didn't even go to that one regularly until the second half of the year. In second year I tried joining a second, but I just didn't have time to fully participate in both, so I fell back on the first one (of which I was on the committee).

ReputationRep:
    I joined 2 in my first year and one in my second year... I went to all of them a few times but never regularly - due to lack of time, money and eventually just not being interested in it.

Next year I'm setting up my own society with some friends so I should regularly be going to that one!

ReputationRep:
    Joined lots. Only got properly involved with one though.

ReputationRep:
    I only joined one, and got really involved in it right from the beginning.

ReputationRep:
    Careful; some societies have a joining fee!
    I'm really annoyed with some of the societies I joined - they just don't do ANYTHING! and you don't even know how to get involved to change anything.
    There's usually a society for your subject, you should join that first - mine's been really useful.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.