Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi just got a few questions :

Whats better doing just hiit on alternate days or doing one day with hiit and the next cardio?

Is hiit just as good on a statiionary bike as running on a track? (i heard its not as effective on the treadmill as it doesn't slow down and speed up instantly)

And if you do do hiit on the bike is there a certain level of resistance you should do it on?

Thanks for any replies.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt you would see much benefit from a day of cardio and a day of HIIT, so I certainly stick with just HIIT if I were you, unless you want to work on your endurance that is.

A lot would say HIIT should be done outdoors and running, I personally feel do it on what you feel best with and as for the treadmill, some (well the ones I use) have an interval setting on them, so look out for those ones.

I doubt resistance would matter that much, as long as you get your resting/sprint paces sorted.

ReputationRep:
    If you mean HIIT alternated with steady state cardio, of course its more beneficial than a days rest. Once your body is adjusted to that amount of exercise.

If you're targeting weight/fat loss then of course 2/3 extra days cardio will be significant.

ReputationRep:
    what are your goals?

intervals on a running track - excellent.

riding a stationary bike at a gym is fine providing you are doing a good distance.

intervals effectively on a stationary bike. i dont think its effective. it's hard to tire yourself on a bike. its better to ride a decent mileage.

as for intervals on a treadmill, waste of time and ineffective. nothing like reality.

no decent runner who competes at any distance would be caught doing intervals indoors on a treadmill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revenged)
    what are your goals?

intervals on a running track - excellent.

riding a stationary bike at a gym is fine providing you are doing a good distance.

intervals effectively on a stationary bike. i dont think its effective. it's hard to tire yourself on a bike. its better to ride a decent mileage.

as for intervals on a treadmill, waste of time and ineffective. nothing like reality.

no decent runner who competes at any distance would be caught doing intervals indoors on a treadmill.

my main goal is to lose the fat around my stomach but im also trying to build muscle too so im doing weights every day. the reason im asking is cos i don't think theres a track near me that i can get to easily and i don't really want to do it running on the pavements locally. im already a member of the gym and theyve got stationary bikes there so just wanted to know if its as effective.

ReputationRep:
    cycling is easier than running, so it would not be as effective, unless you spend more time riding. but saying this i still think a good distance at the rower or on the bike would be the best form of cardio at the gym.

i would get your exercise plan sorted mate, you dont do weights everyday. be careful with weights if you dont know what you are doing!

also your goals are just aspirations. i really think goals should be something that you can measure so that you can track your progress.

since you asked about running, i'll help you a little with this, but i can't help you about weights training.

before you can run intervals effectively you need to be able to run a decent mileage so that you have a solid aerobic fitness base.

start by running for 20 minutes non-stop and work up from there. if you want to get into running on concrete then you need to invest in some running shoes to save your knees.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.