Turn on thread page Beta

A few questions about HIIT watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi just got a few questions :

Whats better doing just hiit on alternate days or doing one day with hiit and the next cardio?

Is hiit just as good on a statiionary bike as running on a track? (i heard its not as effective on the treadmill as it doesn't slow down and speed up instantly)

And if you do do hiit on the bike is there a certain level of resistance you should do it on?

Thanks for any replies.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt you would see much benefit from a day of cardio and a day of HIIT, so I certainly stick with just HIIT if I were you, unless you want to work on your endurance that is.

A lot would say HIIT should be done outdoors and running, I personally feel do it on what you feel best with and as for the treadmill, some (well the ones I use) have an interval setting on them, so look out for those ones.

I doubt resistance would matter that much, as long as you get your resting/sprint paces sorted.

ReputationRep:
    If you mean HIIT alternated with steady state cardio, of course its more beneficial than a days rest. Once your body is adjusted to that amount of exercise.

If you're targeting weight/fat loss then of course 2/3 extra days cardio will be significant.

ReputationRep:
    what are your goals?

intervals on a running track - excellent.

riding a stationary bike at a gym is fine providing you are doing a good distance.

intervals effectively on a stationary bike. i dont think its effective. it's hard to tire yourself on a bike. its better to ride a decent mileage.

as for intervals on a treadmill, waste of time and ineffective. nothing like reality.

no decent runner who competes at any distance would be caught doing intervals indoors on a treadmill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revenged)
    what are your goals?

intervals on a running track - excellent.

riding a stationary bike at a gym is fine providing you are doing a good distance.

intervals effectively on a stationary bike. i dont think its effective. it's hard to tire yourself on a bike. its better to ride a decent mileage.

as for intervals on a treadmill, waste of time and ineffective. nothing like reality.

no decent runner who competes at any distance would be caught doing intervals indoors on a treadmill.

my main goal is to lose the fat around my stomach but im also trying to build muscle too so im doing weights every day. the reason im asking is cos i don't think theres a track near me that i can get to easily and i don't really want to do it running on the pavements locally. im already a member of the gym and theyve got stationary bikes there so just wanted to know if its as effective.

ReputationRep:
    cycling is easier than running, so it would not be as effective, unless you spend more time riding. but saying this i still think a good distance at the rower or on the bike would be the best form of cardio at the gym.

i would get your exercise plan sorted mate, you dont do weights everyday. be careful with weights if you dont know what you are doing!

also your goals are just aspirations. i really think goals should be something that you can measure so that you can track your progress.

since you asked about running, i'll help you a little with this, but i can't help you about weights training.

before you can run intervals effectively you need to be able to run a decent mileage so that you have a solid aerobic fitness base.

start by running for 20 minutes non-stop and work up from there. if you want to get into running on concrete then you need to invest in some running shoes to save your knees.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.