The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

The campus itself is very nice, certainly the nicest of all the open days I went to.

However, that's also the main positive I hear from my friends who've been to Birmingham!
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
innerpartysystem
The campus itself is very nice, certainly the nicest of all the open days I went to.

However, that's also the main positive I hear from my friends who've been to Birmingham!

Thanks. Yeh I hear both are very nice. Do you know if Notts has the better international reputation ?
Reply 3
The Nottingham campus is decent and is close to the city centre. There are some no go areas nearby but you just need to know where not to go.
Reply 4
Jinxy
Thanks. Yeh I hear both are very nice. Do you know if Notts has the better international reputation ?

It depends what kind of reputation you want. You could see which Uni has the most results in Google.

Nottingham has a lot of international students and a campus in China so I guess that's pretty vital.
Reply 5
I would think Nottingham would have the better international reputation.
Reply 6
Joseph90
It depends what kind of reputation you want. You could see which Uni has the most results in Google.

Nottingham has a lot of international students and a campus in China so I guess that's pretty vital.

Thanks a lot. I'm just really having trouble choosing, I will probably visit both however I hear they really are quite similar in terms of how good the law course is and the campus. Which city would you say had the better night life and more to do? :smile:
Reply 7
Jinxy
Thanks a lot. I'm just really having trouble choosing, I will probably visit both however I hear they really are quite similar in terms of how good the law course is and the campus. Which city would you say had the better night life and more to do? :smile:

Gee I don't know.

I live near Nottingham and it's a good place to go for shopping and nightlife.

I don't know what Brum has that Notts doesn't.
Reply 8
Does Birmingham require you to do the LNAT, OP? I know Notts does and I think that is a big factor in showing which law courses are better.

I saw Birmingham and go to Nottingham and I think the Nottingham campus is much nicer. It's sooo lovely in the spring and summer months, lots of trees, greenery, the Downs, ducks, squirrels etc. If you appreciate these things and come from a kind of rural area then these are really lovely and make a nice change :smile:

Obviously it is all subjective but I prefer Nottingham as a city as well because it's v.easy to navigate around but it is still big enough that you always discover new shops, places and ways of getting to places. The variety of shops and nightlife is just astounding and cater for all tastes and budgets. If my figures are right there is a different bar/club/restaurant/cafe to go to every day of the year!
Reply 9
kates:)
Does Birmingham require you to do the LNAT, OP? I know Notts does and I think that is a big factor in showing which law courses are better.

I saw Birmingham and go to Nottingham and I think the Nottingham campus is much nicer. It's sooo lovely in the spring and summer months, lots of trees, greenery, the Downs, ducks, squirrels etc. If you appreciate these things and come from a kind of rural area then these are really lovely and make a nice change :smile:

Obviously it is all subjective but I prefer Nottingham as a city as well because it's v.easy to navigate around but it is still big enough that you always discover new shops, places and ways of getting to places. The variety of shops and nightlife is just astounding and cater for all tastes and budgets. If my figures are right there is a different bar/club/restaurant/cafe to go to every day of the year!

Yeh I must admit it does seem lovely from what I've read about it. I come from London so i'm not looking for a massive city, I'm a bit sick of that and all the hustle and bustle but it would be nice to know there's a biggish city near by if I am missing that sort of thing! I really do appreciate all its greenery too and that is actually a factor when I choose unis, haha :smile:

Yes they both require LNAT but from my understanding Notts are looking for a higher score and also are not lenient like Bham when it comes to missing grades.
BTW - your doing History which isn't all that different from Law....Do you find you get much support on your course and feedback with work? I hear that you dont get much help at Notts?
Reply 10
Jinxy
Yeh I must admit it does seem lovely from what I've read about it. I come from London so i'm not looking for a massive city, I'm a bit sick of that and all the hustle and bustle but it would be nice to know there's a biggish city near by if I am missing that sort of thing! I really do appreciate all its greenery too and that is actually a factor when I choose unis, haha :smile:

:h: there are a lot of Londoner's at Notts so there must be something that appeals
Reply 11
:h: there are a lot of Londoner's at Notts so there must be something that appeals

Yeh it's a popular place :h:
BTW - your doing History which isn't all that different from Law....Do you find you get much support on your course and feedback with work? I hear that you dont get much help at Notts?
Reply 12
Jinxy
Yeh it's a popular place :h:

Yup...obviously there is a big difference between school and university and at a uni as big as Notts which have 100/150 students on its courses (on average) you obviously don't get as much personal support as you might at school. However, I've been v.pleased with the support and feedback I had. The tutors are always willing to see you and make appointments over email or answer small questions in an email. For all the history essays we get a feedback form and it is marked in terms of different aspects e.g. breadth of reading 1-5 (1 is fail, 5 is outstanding) plus sections for comments. The tutors then always offer the chance for you to come and speak to them about your essay and often go out of their way to offer more spaces/times/appointments.

I also took some Politics modules as subsids and as Politics is in the same School as Law their methods are probably a bit more similar. We got feedback forms but only with comments, none of this numerical marking. They often annotated more on the actually essay with markers/points. The Politics tutors also offered times to come and see them about work/essays.

So, even though that is quite a long answer for TSR but is by no means exhaustive I think I've conveyed that the level of support is v.good. I've certainly had no qualms in that area of things and I doubt it would be the same if not better in the Law School seeing as it's one of the best in the country :smile:
Reply 13
Yup...obviously there is a big difference between school and university and at a uni as big as Notts which have 100/150 students on its courses (on average) you obviously don't get as much personal support as you might at school. However, I've been v.pleased with the support and feedback I had. The tutors are always willing to see you and make appointments over email or answer small questions in an email. For all the history essays we get a feedback form and it is marked in terms of different aspects e.g. breadth of reading 1-5 (1 is fail, 5 is outstanding) plus sections for comments. The tutors then always offer the chance for you to come and speak to them about your essay and often go out of their way to offer more spaces/times/appointments.

I also took some Politics modules as subsids and as Politics is in the same School as Law their methods are probably a bit more similar. We got feedback forms but only with comments, none of this numerical marking. They often annotated more on the actually essay with markers/points. The Politics tutors also offered times to come and see them about work/essays.

So, even though that is quite a long answer for TSR but is by no means exhaustive I think I've conveyed that the level of support is v.good. I've certainly had no qualms in that area of things and I doubt it would be the same if not better in the Law School seeing as it's one of the best in the country :smile:

Yeh, that's great thanks for taking the time to explain. I just hear mixed opinion on TSR so I was just asking someone that goes there. :smile: And rep for you :h:
Reply 14
Jinxy
Yeh, that's great thanks for taking the time to explain. I just hear mixed opinion on TSR so I was just asking someone that goes there. :smile: And rep for you :h:

Ahh thank you! :ahee:

Nottingham is a lot better than most of the posts on TSR make out. I think they must have got rejected :p:
I'm hoping to be in Nottingham this September and I couldn't be more eager. The campus is gorgeous, accommodation is one of the best I saw at open days, and the nightlife seems excellent. I'm a bit of a rock-fan, and it's got some of the best venues in the country, Rock City, Rescue Rooms, Stealth...it's got possibly the oldest Inn in the world and what seems like everything in between.
I'm on a course that, if I pass Yr1, guarantees me my second year abroad, and it has links with 30-35 different Unis, across the world,last I checked. Both are U21 members, so that's a good sign. Nottingham's links with China and Malaysia can't hurt.
I was planning on doing Law at Uni, once upon a time, so I did a work experience at a Solicitors, and a new grad there said that the two departments in the UK that publish most (not "are the best" but it's a handy indicator), are Cardiff and Nottingham.
Don't get me wrong, I love the city of Birmingham, I go down there every 3-4months to visit some friends, but the Uni never quite impressed me and I really didn't like the campus.
Oh, and it's not a dangerous place to live, there's only a couple of places from what I hear and you've lived somewhere far larger so you should be used to it :smile: I live in nowheresville, Wales, so it's going to be a big step up for me. :yep:

Sorry for the blatant ad :o:
Reply 16
Mrgd291190
I'm hoping to be in Nottingham this September and I couldn't be more eager. The campus is gorgeous, accommodation is one of the best I saw at open days, and the nightlife seems excellent. I'm a bit of a rock-fan, and it's got some of the best venues in the country, Rock City, Rescue Rooms, Stealth...it's got possibly the oldest Inn in the world and what seems like everything in between.
I'm on a course that, if I pass Yr1, guarantees me my second year abroad, and it has links with 30-35 different Unis, across the world,last I checked. Both are U21 members, so that's a good sign. Nottingham's links with China and Malaysia can't hurt.
I was planning on doing Law at Uni, once upon a time, so I did a work experience at a Solicitors, and a new grad there said that the two departments in the UK that publish most (not "are the best" but it's a handy indicator), are Cardiff and Nottingham.
Don't get me wrong, I love the city of Birmingham, I go down there every 3-4months to visit some friends, but the Uni never quite impressed me and I really didn't like the campus.
Oh, and it's not a dangerous place to live, there's only a couple of places from what I hear and you've lived somewhere far larger so you should be used to it :smile: I live in nowheresville, Wales, so it's going to be a big step up for me. :yep:

Sorry for the blatant ad :o:

Thank you! Well to be honest everything I have heard from people couldn't really be much more positive...! I think you've got me now though, I am a great rock fan as well and well...:love:
Reply 17
Mrgd291190
accommodation is one of the best I saw at open days,

Interesting... If you're going in September I assume you must have been to last year's open day so they may have had different rooms open but I thought it was easily the worst accomodation I'd seen anywhere as did everyone else I know who went. Which halls did you look at? I saw Lenton and Wortley, Lincoln and Cripps. I know people who went to a conference there though and they had extremely nice rooms, so they must have some hiding somewhere.
I don't know anything about the law courses at Nottingham, or about living on campus etc but I grew up a couple of miles from campus and lived in Nottingham until I moved to Birmingham for uni and I've now been here 3 years. So maybe I can give you my personal opinion on life in both cities? I would say though maybe I'm slightly biased having spent so long in Nottingham, I think it got boring for me!

Nottingham's campus is very pretty, and although I think Birmingham's is too, Nottingham definitely has the edge on the scenery stakes!

They're both about the same distance from the city centre - a long walk or a bus/train ride in each case.

I think Birmingham, although a bigger city as a whole, has a far more compact city centre (shopping-wise) while having (I feel) more shops. It takes maybe 10-15 minutes to walk throug the shopping part of Birmingham whereas Nottingham end to end would take closer to 20-25 minutes I think. I think Nottingham has more historic sites to visit if you're into that kind of thing, with the castle etc.

I'm not really into nightlife in a studenty sense so I'll leave that to someone else, although from the places I know of I think Birmingham has more choice. It would also win on the music stakes I think - Carling Academy, NIA, NEC, Symphony hall as well as several pubs which host music nights too.

Student areas within the city seem nicer in Birmingham too - I may be wrong as I don't live in one myself but from what I've seen the areas in Brum seem nicer than Nottingham.

I think that's about it really! Personally I don't feel any need (apart from family/friends) to move back to Nottingham when I've finished uni in Birmingham. I think there's far more opportunities here and obviously different experiences and places to see nearby. Like I said at the start though that might be because I just got bored of Nottingham... but make of that what you will!

Wherever you end up though, good luck :smile:
Jinxy
Thank you! Well to be honest everything I have heard from people couldn't really be much more positive...! I think you've got me now though, I am a great rock fan as well and well...:love:

A woman after my own heart :biggrin:
I'll confess, the music's one of the main reasons I want to go. Everywhere else boasts how many dance clubs it has etc, which is not something I look for, but Nottingham seems like such a rock city :yep:

As gillipses says, a lot of Brum's venues are excellent but Rock City is legendary. If you follow Kerrang! at all, it's won best UK venue pretty often, pretty sure last year and the year before and several times before that. They do have quite a few bands playing and there's decent transport links to Birmingham, Manchester, London so I hope to get to gigs there with ease. I hear RockSoc does a lot of trips to visit other cities for gigs so that's nice. It's never going to be as good as London but it's got to have a better music scene than Rhyl :rolleyes@

Latest

Trending

Trending