Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meliae)
    Interesting... If you're going in September I assume you must have been to last year's open day so they may have had different rooms open but I thought it was easily the worst accomodation I'd seen anywhere as did everyone else I know who went. Which halls did you look at? I saw Lenton and Wortley, Lincoln and Cripps. I know people who went to a conference there though and they had extremely nice rooms, so they must have some hiding somewhere.
    I think the main one I visited was Ancaster, which, from what I hear, has a reputation as quite a posh hall, so that might explain it. Though, in fairness, many other Unis I visited had utterly atrocious accommodation. Bristol, which I loved as a Uni, had the smallest, dullest rooms I've ever seen. I preferred it to Brum's, but Manchester's might have been marginally better. Notts were quite large and open, to compare to the others.
    I'm hoping Lenton's nice, I'm sleeping there for the next year (dependant on grades).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrgd291190)
    I think the main one I visited was Ancaster, which, from what I hear, has a reputation as quite a posh hall, so that might explain it. Though, in fairness, many other Unis I visited had utterly atrocious accommodation. Bristol, which I loved as a Uni, had the smallest, dullest rooms I've ever seen. I preferred it to Brum's, but Manchester's might have been marginally better. Notts were quite large and open, to compare to the others.
    I'm hoping Lenton's nice, I'm sleeping there for the next year (dependant on grades).
    I looked at Oxford (St Johns and Wadham). They weren't the most attractive (I always think the newest ones look best), but in John's they were very big, even the lowest grade rooms, and had these long corner seat things. I don't remember Wadham's other than that it was ok, better than Notts but nothing spectacular. Bangor had really nice accomodation as it's all brand new. York had some that was similar to Bangor and some that was just ok. Notts was the only place where I thought I wouldn't like to live in their rooms, everywhere else was fine if not more than fine. Even Notts could have been much worse though. I didn't think I couldn't stand it there or that it was really terrible.

Edit - They were quite spacious, they just felt quite delapidated as though they'd been abandoned for decades. The libraries in halls didn't help that feeling. They were straight out of the 1800s, as were all the books within. The rest of the uni looked really good though on the open day. The accomodation was the only disappointment.

ReputationRep:
    It's never going to be as good as London but it's got to have a better music scene than Rhyl :[email protected]
    haha! Well yeh, i cant wait to get away from London to be honest. Was born here and am sick of it, plus expensive!!!
    Notts here i come :woo:

Edit to the person above saying about the accomdation : Yeh I know someone who goes to Notts he says it's not the best thing about the uni but if you ask me it's not a big deal and it's accom isn't terrible, your room is gunna be what you make it! Notts campus and repuation far outweighs my care for how new the accom looks.

ReputationRep:
    A woman after my own heart
    I'll confess, the music's one of the main reasons I want to go. Everywhere else boasts how many dance clubs it has etc, which is not something I look for, but Nottingham seems like such a rock city :yep:

As gillipses says, a lot of Brum's venues are excellent but Rock City is legendary. If you follow Kerrang! at all, it's won best UK venue pretty often, pretty sure last year and the year before and several times before that. They do have quite a few bands playing and there's decent transport links to Birmingham, Manchester, London so I hope to get to gigs there with ease. I hear RockSoc does a lot of trips to visit other cities for gigs so that's nice. It's never going to be as good as London but it's got to have a better music scene than Rhyl :[email protected]
    It truly is! Saw MGMT there, such a lush night. Plus its club nights are amazing too.

What halls will you be in?

Also as a general pointer and another blatant ad, we have the student magazine Impact which is bye far one of the best student uni magazines in the country. I'm an editor on it this year and it is a great thing to get involved in so keep an eye out for us at Freshers Fayre and all our PR during Week One! I am Nights editor and there is a Music section too so maybe those will appeal to you Mrgd? If you want to get involved, do it!

(I love Nottingham :love: I don't think you will find a single student there who doesn't)

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll like Lenton and Wortley - it's got one of 4 'Mixes' as well - hall cafe/bar places where the food is infinitely better and everyone tries to go to to get lunch etc.

I've never heard the 'Ancaster is posh' tag being banded around :confused: but there definitely are some stereotypes/tags for the halls! Considering Ancaster is nicknamed Ancy and they often use terms like Ancy Panky I'm not too sure of its 'poshness' :p:

Cavendish seems to be pretty 'London' based - I swear nearly everyone there goes to a a certain group of schools in London/Herts/Middlesex and they all seem to know each other or at least have some connections! Cav seem like they have a lot of fun though and masses of banter.

Hugh Stewart is the posh one if there has to be a posh one - not sure just how true this is or can be but to get into Hugh Stu you have to have been privately educated. There are people who were there this year who will become Lords and get peerages when their parents die, family owns racehorses etc etc. :eek:
    Cripps is also pretty posh, with its own benefactor etc

Rutland gets an awful lot of bad banter towards it, namely the chant of 'Rutland takes it up the a**e, do dah, do dah' :hahaha: they seem to be the butt of everyones jokes - excuse the pun!

Thats about it in terms of the major stereotypes/jokes surrounding the halls. Some seem to be a lot quieter than the others too - Florence Boot, Nightingale and Sherwood namely - don't think I even know anyone who stayed in them :confused:

(Apologies for my huge bit on halls - thought it might be useful if not entertaining)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    Which city would you say had the better night life and more to do?
    Nottingham has great nightlife and shopping! And there is loads to e.g. ice skating, cinemas, bowling, restruants, goose fair in October!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xzoe18x)
    Nottingham has great nightlife and shopping! And there is loads to e.g. ice skating, cinemas, bowling, restruants, goose fair in October!
    Sounds great to me...
    Where else did you look at when you were applying ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    haha! Well yeh, i cant wait to get away from London to be honest. Was born here and am sick of it, plus expensive!!!
    Notts here i come :woo:

Edit to the person above saying about the accomdation : Yeh I know someone who goes to Notts he says it's not the best thing about the uni but if you ask me it's not a big deal and it's accom isn't terrible, your room is gunna be what you make it! Notts campus and repuation far outweighs my care for how new the accom looks.
    Like I said, I could put up with living there, it could have been much worse and it was the only disappointment. Notts was about 7th on my list before I went, and it was only really that high because the distance was ideal. It went up to 5th after visiting, so I will be applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    Sounds great to me...
    Where else did you look at when you were applying ?
    Sheffield and Leeds!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meliae)
    I looked at Oxford (St Johns and Wadham). They weren't the most attractive (I always think the newest ones look best), but in John's they were very big, even the lowest grade rooms, and had these long corner seat things. I don't remember Wadham's other than that it was ok, better than Notts but nothing spectacular. Bangor had really nice accomodation as it's all brand new. York had some that was similar to Bangor and some that was just ok. Notts was the only place where I thought I wouldn't like to live in their rooms, everywhere else was fine if not more than fine. Even Notts could have been much worse though. I didn't think I couldn't stand it there or that it was really terrible.

Edit - They were quite spacious, they just felt quite delapidated as though they'd been abandoned for decades. The libraries in halls didn't help that feeling. They were straight out of the 1800s, as were all the books within. The rest of the uni looked really good though on the open day. The accomodation was the only disappointment.
    I suppose I would expect Oxbridge accomodation to be the nicest, just as it's so historic and wealthy (sorta) a Uni.
    York's were very nice, I forgot about them. I loved the place (City and Uni) but wasn't keen, personally, on the course.
    Has Bangor had a refit? That's great, I like there but I wouldn't personally go, it's way too close to home

I know that the accommodation there wasn't brilliant but I suppose...I know that it's just somewhere I'll sleep and do some study with for a year, I'll always love my own home bedroom more, so it's not the most important criteria. I loved the Uni and the course so I suppose that just makes me able to ignore its deficiencies.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Jinxy]haha! Well yeh, i cant wait to get away from London to be honest. Was born here and am sick of it, plus expensive!!!
    Notts here i come :woo:[QUOTE]

Lol, I can see where that'd be bad! From what I hear, Nottingham is a pretty cheap city, but still has everything you need. I asked a guy at the open day about drinks and he said it was something like £1.60 for a pint in the SU bar. Which is cheaper than home!
    I wandered around the town and there were shops I'd never seen before and some I have to go 20 miles to find my local branch, so it's a great for me.

Same here I love the general place so I'm willing to forgive their faults.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kates:))
    It truly is! Saw MGMT there, such a lush night. Plus its club nights are amazing too.
    :eek: I am utterly green with envy!

As you've seen by now, my offers for Lenton & Wortley.

Also as a general pointer and another blatant ad, we have the student magazine Impact which is bye far one of the best student uni magazines in the country. I'm an editor on it this year and it is a great thing to get involved in so keep an eye out for us at Freshers Fayre and all our PR during Week One! I am Nights editor and there is a Music section too so maybe those will appeal to you Mrgd? If you want to get involved, do it!
    Yes! I've been reading it online recently, just to take a look and I'd love to get involved somehow. How can I do it?

(I love Nottingham :love: I don't think you will find a single student there who doesn't)
    Good to hear

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll like Lenton and Wortley - it's got one of 4 'Mixes' as well - hall cafe/bar places where the food is infinitely better and everyone tries to go to to get lunch etc.

I've never heard the 'Ancaster is posh' tag being banded around :confused: but there definitely are some stereotypes/tags for the halls! Considering Ancaster is nicknamed Ancy and they often use terms like Ancy Panky I'm not too sure of its 'poshness' :p:

Cavendish seems to be pretty 'London' based - I swear nearly everyone there goes to a a certain group of schools in London/Herts/Middlesex and they all seem to know each other or at least have some connections! Cav seem like they have a lot of fun though and masses of banter.

Hugh Stewart is the posh one if there has to be a posh one - not sure just how true this is or can be but to get into Hugh Stu you have to have been privately educated. There are people who were there this year who will become Lords and get peerages when their parents die, family owns racehorses etc etc. :eek:
    Cripps is also pretty posh, with its own benefactor etc

Rutland gets an awful lot of bad banter towards it, namely the chant of 'Rutland takes it up the a**e, do dah, do dah' :hahaha: they seem to be the butt of everyones jokes - excuse the pun!

Thats about it in terms of the major stereotypes/jokes surrounding the halls. Some seem to be a lot quieter than the others too - Florence Boot, Nightingale and Sherwood namely - don't think I even know anyone who stayed in them :confused:

(Apologies for my huge bit on halls - thought it might be useful if not entertaining)
    That was really useful, and very interesting, thanks

The guy on the open day said Ancaster was posh, it might just've been his opinion though
    I've heard the Rutland one on here before, glad I didn't apply there

I love the look of Lenton and the Mix looks really nice and I do love my food ... :yep:

Mind if I ask where you stayed?

ReputationRep:
    That was really useful, and very interesting, thanks

The guy on the open day said Ancaster was posh, it might just've been his opinion though
    I've heard the Rutland one on here before, glad I didn't apply there

I love the look of Lenton and the Mix looks really nice and I do love my food ... :yep:

Mind if I ask where you stayed?
    :o: I actually stayed on Raleigh Park - wish I could have had it different. It's because Nottingham was my insurance and halls were massively over-subscribed for my year. Never mind though :o:

Re: Impact magazine - come and check out our stall at the Freshers Fayre, will be v.easy to spot. You'll also get a copy of the Freshers issue in your Week One welcome pack (we're working hard on it over this summer :p: ). Just speak to one of us on the stall, sign up with your university/personal email and you will get an email about the first big meeting where you can come to sign up to the individual sections. Meetings for the individual sections normally take place in the 3rd week.

In fact all the editors have to have a stint on the stall so you may even meet me :p: but we're a friendly bunch so do come over to find out more!

ReputationRep:
    :o: I actually stayed on Raleigh Park - wish I could have had it different. It's because Nottingham was my insurance and halls were massively over-subscribed for my year. Never mind though :o:
    That's a pity but glad you enjoyed yourself anyhoo

Re: Impact magazine - come and check out our stall at the Freshers Fayre, will be v.easy to spot. You'll also get a copy of the Freshers issue in your Week One welcome pack (we're working hard on it over this summer :p: ). Just speak to one of us on the stall, sign up with your university/personal email and you will get an email about the first big meeting where you can come to sign up to the individual sections. Meetings for the individual sections normally take place in the 3rd week.
    I'll be there When do we get a welcome pack anyway? Before we go or after we arrive (provided I actually get in ). What are the individual sections, if I can bother you for info?

In fact all the editors have to have a stint on the stall so you may even meet me :p: but we're a friendly bunch so do come over to find out more!
    I look forward to it and I'll be there!

ReputationRep:
    Hugh Stewart is the posh one if there has to be a posh one - not sure just how true this is or can be but to get into Hugh Stu you have to have been privately educated.
    This is 100% not true.
    We are constantly fighting rumours like this and never seem to quash them. The accommodation application form doesn't ask for details on where you were schooled or how much your parents earn or if you have blue blood etc so it seems insane that this rumour is even taken seriously!

Anyone can get into Hugh Stewart as long as they apply in time.

ReputationRep:
    That's a pity but glad you enjoyed yourself anyhoo

I'll be there When do we get a welcome pack anyway? Before we go or after we arrive (provided I actually get in ). What are the individual sections, if I can bother you for info?

I look forward to it and I'll be there!
    You should get your Week One pack the first time you meet the Fresher's reps and get your Fresher's week wristband when you move in to halls you also get a bag of things when you go into the Fresher's fayre which starts on the Tuesday of Week One (we got a wooden spoon, a copy of Impact, Dominoes pizza money off vouchers, pens, stickers, lanyards for keys etc).

The individual sections of the magazine are: News, Features (but that is all done by the Associate Eds), Sport, Nights, Arts, Film, Music, Travel, Science and Style. So lots to choose from! I'm the Nights editor

Here is the website actually: http://www.impactnottingham.com/

Oh and BTW good luck for your results and hopefully you will be coming to Nottingham! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrenLee)
    This is 100% not true.
    We are constantly fighting rumours like this and never seem to quash them. The accommodation application form doesn't ask for details on where you were schooled or how much your parents earn or if you have blue blood etc so it seems insane that this rumour is even taken seriously!

Anyone can get into Hugh Stewart as long as they apply in time.
    Must be pure coincidence that everyone I know from Hugh Stu went to some sort of fee paying school then!

ReputationRep:
    Must be pure coincidence that everyone I know from Hugh Stu went to some sort of fee paying school then!
    Yep, pure coincidence. :yep:

ReputationRep:

ahhhh... now I know who you are...

But anyways, Nottingham is fantastic. I love both Nottingham and Birmingham but I think Nottingham just about edges it; Nicer campus and better rock/indie nights. However, Brum is slightly larger and has better shopping. If you doing law then I think Nottinghams course is sightly better overall as well.

In terms of accomidation, its pretty good. Not sure where the criticism of the rooms comes from if I'm honest, I was in Lincoln last year and it was perfectly good accomidation. It isn't a palace but they're spacious, well kept up and nice. The only reason why people might dislike them, IMO, is that they saw them just after students had been living in them for a year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.