Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    Today's chavviest thread of the day award goes to this thread.
    *Clicks tsr equivalent to Facebook like button*

ReputationRep:
    Don't drugs/alcohol actually do the most damage earlier in the pregnancy? As the first trimester is an especially sensitive/dangerous period for the foetus...

Just don't do it. If you want a child, don't make it a sickly child where such problems could be avoided.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Also, is it likely I could be pregnant if he pulled out before he came?

LOL! Didn't you learn about the birds and the bees?!

(Original post by AbitBatty)
    LOL! Didn't you learn about the birds and the bees?!
    Yes I did learn about the birds and the bees.... but let's be serious here, some people use this technique as a form of contraception all of the time! You are much less likely to get pregnant if he pulled out before he came, if there are no sperm inside you how on earth can you get pregnant. Pre-***, apparently can only get you pregnant if the guy has *** previously.

(Original post by BeanofJelly)
    Don't drugs/alcohol actually do the most damage earlier in the pregnancy? As the first trimester is an especially sensitive/dangerous period for the foetus...

Just don't do it. If you want a child, don't make it a sickly child where such problems could be avoided.
    I would have thought that during the end they would do more damage, lots of people are pregnant for a while before realising and must get wasted and some etc.

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought that during the end they would do more damage, lots of people are pregnant for a while before realising and must get wasted and some etc.
    It's just what I heard. I really should look it up from some medical journal or something.

The importance of the first trimester to development/health seems to have been highlighted recently with doctors bringing in stuff about taking folic acid and stopping drinking if you think you might get pregnant, because you could cause damage in the time it takes you to get a positive test.

You should look it up. But please, why take the risk? If you don't want a baby that's your choice (imo) but if you do want a baby how will you feel if you know you made it sick? You might not care about it now (just a few cells, reasonable) but if you keep it, there will come a point where you do care and regret any harm you may have caused it.

ReputationRep:
    You will need:

1x gardening gloves
    1x coathanger

ReputationRep:
    Here we go:

"It is during this first trimester that the fetus is most susceptible to damage from substances such as alcohol, drugs, certain medications, and illnesses such as rubella (German measles)."

I think this is because the foetus is growing/changing most rapidly at this stage. It is also most vulnerable at this stage (there are far fewer miscarriages in the second/third trimester)

http://www.lpch.org/DiseaseHealthInf...ant/first.html

EDIT: If you take heavy drugs/alcohol in your third trimester yes it's very damaging, but it's not going to affect stuff like how many limbs the baby has, for example (because that is decided in the first trimester)
    (That's my limited understanding)

(Original post by BeanofJelly)
    It's just what I heard. I really should look it up from some medical journal or something.

The importance of the first trimester to development/health seems to have been highlighted recently with doctors bringing in stuff about taking folic acid and stopping drinking if you think you might get pregnant, because you could cause damage in the time it takes you to get a positive test.

You should look it up. But please, why take the risk? If you don't want a baby that's your choice (imo) but if you do want a baby how will you feel if you know you made it sick? You might not care about it now (just a few cells, reasonable) but if you keep it, there will come a point where you do care and regret any harm you may have caused it.
    No, no, I really do care, that's why I'm asking! But really don't want to be sober for my holiday next week. I know I sound terrible, thanks for everyone who actually helped on this thread x

(Original post by Awesome-o)
    You will need:

1x gardening gloves
    1x coathanger
    That's horrible!

ReputationRep:
    No, no, I really do care, that's why I'm asking! But really don't want to be sober for my holiday next week. I know I sound terrible, thanks for everyone who actually helped on this thread x
    Sorry I didn't mean to sound judging.

It's no crime just wanting to be informed. Why don't you see a GP?

ReputationRep:
    The likelihood is you aren't pregnant, but if you are don't drink or do drugs anymore unless you know you wouldn't keep the baby. When is your period due? Maybe you can take a test before you go on your holiday and then you can do whatever you like on it.

ReputationRep:
    If you even think tat you're pregnant, why wait until you take a home test to stop? Surely you can go a few weeks without drinking or taking some downmarket drugs?

Also, why were you using the pull out method? Surely common sense states that he could forget to pull out, not pull out in time, or he could ejaculate prematurely.

Aside from that, yes I do think drinking and the use of MDMA could cause damage to a baby. However, light alcohol consumption might actually be good for baby boys (light drinking being 1-2 units per week).

http://www.maps.org/mdma/pregnancy.html
    http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnanc...afety/alcohol/

ReputationRep:
    Yes I did learn about the birds and the bees.... but let's be serious here, some people use this technique as a form of contraception all of the time! You are much less likely to get pregnant if he pulled out before he came, if there are no sperm inside you how on earth can you get pregnant. Pre-***, apparently can only get you pregnant if the guy has *** previously.
    Oh dear. The "pull-out" method is not a form of contraception. Just one sperm can make you pregnant, and just because he didn't come, doesn't mean that nothing has come out.

ReputationRep:
    If you thought you could be pregnant then you could have got the morning after pill. It is too late to worry about that now as its only effective for up to 72 hours after unprotected sex. When was your last period, I"m sure you know OP that a woman is most fertile two weeks before her next period, although this varies on the womans menstrual cycle.

ReputationRep:
    How many days ago did you have sex?
    If it was less than 3 days ago, you can still take the morning after pill (albeit with reduced chances of success)
    If it was less than 5 days ago, you can get a preliminary coil fitted which will stop the egg actually growing (I think)
    But if none of those apply, and you're not ready to be a parent, I would still suggest having an abortion. At this early on in the pregnancy, the embryo (if you can even call it that) is little more than a bundle of cells - and with the potential to be damaged by your drug use, I reckon it's your best bet.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry you're too stupid for a baby anyway

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it would affect it in the first couple of weeks tbh.

Edit: the umbilical cord forms "by the fifth week" so the embryo is not even getting nutrients from you before that.

"chunkymunkydjc", I dont know why you're calling me stupid, please expand..
    im afraid that sometimes people get drunk and have sex blah blah blah, pregnancy test wouldnt be able to tell if you're pregnant this soon, pulling-out makes you 80% less likely to becom pregnant. Going on holiday, wants to enjoy self.

ReputationRep:
    I would say that damage would be probable - go and get it checked out. Are you planning on keeping it?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.