Turn on thread page Beta

Which type of pain do you consider worse? Physical or emotional/psychological? watch

ReputationRep:
    And your reasons for your choice?

I personally think physical pain overrides all human thought and is much worse.

Uhuh, i've had enough emotional pain and it isn't that big of a deal.

Physical pain > emotional pain any day of the week.

ReputationRep:
    I think emotional pain is MUCH worse, but in some circumstances physical pain can cause emotional pain too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I think emotional pain is MUCH worse, but in some circumstances physical pain can cause emotional pain too.
    I think you could take the question as: If you had to choose between psychological or physical torture, which one would you choose?

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt be able to take physical pain

after having a breakdown several years ago (3 years after completely dislocating my lower leg and having to have operations to replace my kneecap and re-set my leg) i think i can safely say that the metal and psychological pain is far worse than the physical pain. at least physicals pains can go away after a short time sometimes a long time. but the psychological and emotional pains tend to be with you for a lot lot longer and it takes a lot more to overcome them.

edit: before someone else says it... phsycial pain can be a bit kinky and a turn on for some people!

ReputationRep:
    Physical pain.

I've experienced really bad physical pain and it was miles worse than any emotional pain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dorito)
    Physical pain.

I've experienced really bad physical pain and it was miles worse than any emotional pain.
    Such as?

ReputationRep:
    Physical. There are thousands of options for emotional pain.

ReputationRep:
    Well I guess having your genitals crushed between a pair of bricks counts as both due to the long-term results concerning the bedroom.

ReputationRep:
    Physical pain if it's over a short period of time. However the longer you go through emotional pain, I'd imagine the worse it will be. Obviously physical pain over a prolonged period will be nasty, but a long enduring emotional pain can lead to many many physical pains also. For example, stress leads to heart damage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misogynist)
    I think you could take the question as: If you had to choose between psychological or physical torture, which one would you choose?
    Psychological torture. I can resist that. I can't resist, say, a bullet piercing my skin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misogynist)
    It'd depend on what the torture was. Both have different levels. I consider emotional pain worse than physical because I believe that I can put up better with a level of physical pain than I could with the loss of someone I love.
    The latter would destroy me.
    However, ignoring the emotional pain caused by the death of someone I love, perhaps physical would be worse.

ReputationRep:
    I've had a fair amount of both and i'd say it's almost even between them with a slight lean towards emotional pain. emotional pain generally lasts a lot longer and can make you feel like giving up on life. physical pain is relatively short lived, and when it's gone it's gone.
    then again, i've never had a disease that leaves me in excruciating pain 24/7.

ReputationRep:
    emotional and psychological pain are much worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadly Lightshade)
    Psychological torture. I can resist that. I can't resist, say, a bullet piercing my skin.
    Being shot is a form of torture?
    There are worse forms of physical torture than being shot.

ReputationRep:
    emotional by a long way.
    physical just ouch emotional causes all sorts of mental issues like depression/insomnia/anxiety etc and they last alot longer than say a year.

ReputationRep:
    Physical pain, as that also causes emotional pain.

Emotional pain, with time, can eventually go away. Also after you get over emotional pain you feel mentally stronger, whereas physical pain can be constant and last a lifetime.

ReputationRep:
    If we're talking extreme torture like the stuff you see in terrible "horror" films where they mutilate parts of the body, then I'd be inclined to say physical. But when we're talking about physical pain, I assume we're talking about things that happen relatively often, like breaking a leg, being in a car crash, cancer, disease, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    Being shot is a form of torture?
    There are worse forms of physical torture than being shot.
    I realise this. I was talking about physical damage as a whole.

Though, I suppose, you could manage the impact of physical pain through psychological techniques. But then, you could do the same with psychological/emotional pain without the fibre damage that comes with physical pain.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.