Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which type of pain do you consider worse? Physical or emotional/psychological? Watch

ReputationRep:
    psychological pain is worse. it can be longer lasting (unless ur talking about the loss of a limb etc) and is harder to overcome.

I think a better question would be "would you rather watch your family get tortured to death than experience torture yourself"? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Physical pain methinks.
    It's a hard one, emotional pain can last a loongg time. But so can the former.

ReputationRep:
    To me it's psychological/emotional pain. With physical pain, you can clearly see it *gushing blood, broken limbs etc*, so others know you're hurting. But with emotional pain, no one can see, so they're less likely to believe you

ReputationRep:
    With reference to bullying...

Name-calling 'worst form of bullying'
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/2952537.stm

Bullying shifts to mental cruelty
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4436812.stm

'Victims of bullying say it is not sticks and stones but rather name-calling and being left out that cause most misery.
    But people who have not been bullied tend to think physical bullying is worse, Dr Mike Eslea told the British Psychological Society conference in Glasgow. '

I remember coming across a better article but I just can't find it! :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nouvelle vague)
    With reference to bullying...

Name-calling 'worst form of bullying'
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/2952537.stm

Bullying shifts to mental cruelty
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4436812.stm

'Victims of bullying say it is not sticks and stones but rather name-calling and being left out that cause most misery.
    But people who have not been bullied tend to think physical bullying is worse, Dr Mike Eslea told the British Psychological Society conference in Glasgow. '

I remember coming across a better article but I just can't find it! :|
    Exactly this. Bringing personal experience into it for the sake of argument. I was severely bullied at school, but the name-calling, and the behind-the-back whispers were always far worse than the punches and the kicks. It was the embarrassment and the feeling of being disliked that got to me most.

I was also abused at home, both physically and emotionally. Of course, the fact that I was under much more physical pain at home than at school might have been the reason that physical bullying at school didn't bother me - but at home, what drove me crazy wasn't the violence, it was the emotional pain (often interlinked when I believed that I was being beaten up BECAUSE I was a 'freak').

In both cases, it was the emotional pain that was destructive and had the long-term effects.
    I wonder about those claiming that physical illness can be more 'painful' though - are victims of cancer destroyed by the physical pain, or the fear?

ReputationRep:
    Emotional, I can deal with anything my body feels. If its that bad Ill pass out and wont feel it any more but emotional you cant get away from

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    Emotional, I can deal with anything my body feels. If its that bad Ill pass out and wont feel it any more but emotional you cant get away from
    And even if you do die, death is indeed, the ultimate escape.

You won't feel the the pain and suffering compared to psychological pain which permanantly stays with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nouvelle vague)
    And even if you do die, death is indeed, the ultimate escape.

You won't feel the the pain and suffering compared to psychological pain which permanantly stays with you.
    Well, suicide is always an option for the latter too.

ReputationRep:
    emotional/psychological

what would you class as a definition for psychological

ReputationRep:
    Physical pain definitely.

ReputationRep:
    strange how it's mostly females saying emotional when we feel physical pain more than men

ReputationRep:
    emotional painnn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben77mc)
    emotional/psychological

what would you class as a definition for psychological
    Loved ones and family being tortured or killed infront of you, audio/visual torture (high volume music/false hallucinations), sleep deprivation and so on.

ReputationRep:
    emotional, i think. im not good with either though to be honest. :/
    but physical you can take painkillers for, there are no painkillers when somebody you love dies.

ReputationRep:
    Physical pain is worse, as its non-stop, and can last a long time, as can emotional/psychological, but you can stop feeling the latter for short periods of time, like if you see something funny on TV or make a breakthrough at threapy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Exactly this. Bringing personal experience into it for the sake of argument. I was severely bullied at school, but the name-calling, and the behind-the-back whispers were always far worse than the punches and the kicks. It was the embarrassment and the feeling of being disliked that got to me most.

I was also abused at home, both physically and emotionally. Of course, the fact that I was under much more physical pain at home than at school might have been the reason that physical bullying at school didn't bother me - but at home, what drove me crazy wasn't the violence, it was the emotional pain (often interlinked when I believed that I was being beaten up BECAUSE I was a 'freak').

In both cases, it was the emotional pain that was destructive and had the long-term effects.
    I wonder about those claiming that physical illness can be more 'painful' though - are victims of cancer destroyed by the physical pain, or the fear?
    I always found that something trivial such as someone who continuely kept kicking the back of your chair in lessons was much worse than someone actually hurting you. You don't want to make a big deal of it by telling them to stop it or 'grassing', but deep down, you know what their motives where, thus turning you into a crazy parnoid person. When it's psychological, I guess there's a sense of helplessness and 'suffering in silence' kind of thing.

ReputationRep:
    Physical pain. I seem to be pretty zoned out from emotional pain.

ReputationRep:
    There is little worse than physical pain.

ReputationRep:
    Emotional. Defo. 11 years of bullying helped me make my decision.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.