Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Which type of pain do you consider worse? Physical or emotional/psychological? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misogynist)
    Well, suicide is always an option for the latter too.
    Could you then say that psychological pain is worser because it causes you to actually kill yourself rather than someone else killing you instead?

ReputationRep:
    Emotional/psychological

Although psychical can cause emotional / psychological.

And IDK, i hold the opinion that those whom have never been severely emotionally abused(and i dont mean bullying) will be more likely to choose physical pain...but im not stereotyping. Sexual abuse although psychical i class it as emotional abuse mainly. SO tbh the both are intertwined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    Physical pain. I seem to be pretty zoned out from emotional pain.
    Zoned out as in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    strange how it's mostly females saying emotional when we feel physical pain more than men
    Is this true, really?
    And if so, is it only for specific forms of physical pain?
    I seem to be able to withstand pain much better than my male best friend - from things as simple as carrying heavy bottles home from the shops, to lifting things such as gym equipment - I've always been the one to take over when my friend is considering the weight painful.
    Perhaps it's not so much the pain of carrying, though? I'm not sure who'd react worse to a broken bone, for instance.

ReputationRep:
    Saying that, though, I would take physical pain over the emotion pain suffered from losing my sister. It depends what kind of physical/emotional pain, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Saying that, though, I would take physical pain over the emotion pain suffered from losing my sister. It depends what kind of physical/emotional pain, really.
    :nods: I think it all depends on the type of physical or emotional pain, but that the pain of loss is the worst of all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    :nods: I think it all depends on the type of physical or emotional pain, but that the pain of loss is the worst of all.
    I disagree, i don't think its the worst at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    What would you say is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    Being shot is a form of torture?
    There are worse forms of physical torture than being shot.
    Love your sig, Slint are awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nouvelle vague)
    Could you then say that psychological pain is worser because it causes you to actually kill yourself rather than someone else killing you instead?
    It's the process of being led to your death that's rather unnerving I assume. Every human instinct is a self preserving one, we never try to destroy ourselves but in this case you do.

ReputationRep:
    I can handle physical pain but it's emotional/psychological which gets me most.

ReputationRep:
    Zoned out as in?
    Well, rarely feel it, or am affected by it or something? My dad's very similar. I'm not really sure why. Whereas physically, my pain threshold is basically non-existant :facepalm: So i'd say physical is worse.

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever been through loss? It really, really, really is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    Well, rarely feel it, or am affected by it or something? My dad's very similar. I'm not really sure why.
    Interesting. That's the thing I've noticed. Some people tend to take the lightest comment all the way home with themselves and think about it for ages. For example, if a friend or someone they barely know comes up to them and tells them they're boring/ugly/whatever it'll affect them for weeks and some people don't seem to care at all.

It makes me wonder whether this sort of thing is gender influenced. Most guys don't seem to care at all and most girls turn such comments into a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    What would you say is?
    Well from my personal experience. Like its not fun 10 years later still be awoken with flashbacks and nighmares. Death becomes easier to deal with as time goes by (i've lost dad and other close relatives within a year) but certain things will still haunt you for years to come.

Just an example of severe abuse, its a true story book, the guy set up a charity too :

Joe knew his mother was cruel and violent, but he trusted his beloved father to protect him from her. When a freak accident saw his father burn to death in front of him, Joe was left at the mercy of his mother. Without the love of his friend and brother, he wouldn’t have survived. With them, he went on to spend his life fighting child abuse. Joe was just five years old and the horrific scene literally struck him dumb. He didn’t speak for four and a half years, which meant he was unable to ask anyone for help as his life turned into a living hell. His schizophrenic mother and two of his older brothers spent the following years beating him, raping him and locking him in the cellar at the family home.
    having severe abuse and being unable to voice it...definatly a living hell.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. That's the thing I've noticed. Some people tend to take the lightest comment all the way home with themselves and think about it for ages. For example, if a friend or someone they barely know comes up to them and tells them they're boring/ugly/whatever it'll affect them for weeks and some people don't seem to care at all.

It makes me wonder whether this sort of thing is gender influenced. Most guys don't seem to care at all and most girls turn such comments into a big deal.
    Perhaps. Although there's obviously going to be exceptions although I'd say that's pretty likely.

ReputationRep:
    Well from my personal experience. Like its not fun 10 years later still be awoken with flashbacks and nighmares. Death becomes easier to deal with as time goes by (i've lost dad and other close relatives within a year) but certain things will still haunt you for years to come.

Just an example of severe abuse, its a true story book, the guy set up a charity too :

having severe abuse and being unable to voice it...definatly a living hell.
    See, I guess that's where my thoughts differ. I was severely abused and went through all sorts of 'mental problems', but I overcame them all, whereas what terrifies me is the thought of losing my best friend - I don't think I'd ever fully overcome that.

I also lost contact with my siblings just two months ago. My youngest brother is five, and means the world to me. When we were in contact, we were very, very close, though we only saw each other for a day or two each year. Losing him has been the most painful thing ever for me - I can wake up from many nightmares about abuse and get over them, but a dream about someone you love is very hard to get over when you wake knowing you won't see them again.

ReputationRep:
    See, I guess that's where my thoughts differ. I was severely abused and went through all sorts of 'mental problems', but I overcame them all, whereas what terrifies me is the thought of losing my best friend - I don't think I'd ever fully overcome that.

I also lost contact with my siblings just two months ago. My youngest brother is five, and means the world to me. When we were in contact, we were very, very close, though we only saw each other for a day or two each year. Losing him has been the most painful thing ever for me - I can wake up from many nightmares about abuse and get over them, but a dream about someone you love is very hard to get over when you wake knowing you won't see them again.
    I spose. Mine are still very much ongoing so maybe that's where i have the problem . Death is just something i've had to become accustomed to having found various people close to me half dead through suicide attempts so...I spose different experiences venture different opinions =).

ReputationRep:
    Such as?
    Broke both arms
    Broke wrist
    Broke ribs
    A blood vessel burst behind my eye
    Chipped various bones in my right arm

....plus other little things.

These aren't very big things but they were so much worse than any emotional pain I've felt.

ReputationRep:
    I think physical pain is worse. Although emotional pain may take longer to overcome, there are some physical pains that I am sure are so painful that they can cause emotional/psychological pain too.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.