Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which type of pain do you consider worse? Physical or emotional/psychological? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Is this true, really?
    And if so, is it only for specific forms of physical pain?
    I seem to be able to withstand pain much better than my male best friend - from things as simple as carrying heavy bottles home from the shops, to lifting things such as gym equipment - I've always been the one to take over when my friend is considering the weight painful.
    Perhaps it's not so much the pain of carrying, though? I'm not sure who'd react worse to a broken bone, for instance.
    well we have thinner skin with more nerve endings so we're generally more susceptible to pain that affects the skin (bruises, split lips etc). People have different thresholds though, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    For me, the emotional pain I've experienced has been tougher than the physical pain.

But I think it depends on the person, rather than psychological vs physical.

ReputationRep:
    Psychological pain is worse. Physical pain can be made to disappear, or at least lessen, with the help of opiates, but nothing can soothe the mind like that.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather have physical pain than emotional pain if I had to choose.

In a perfect world I'd have neither though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    strange how it's mostly females saying emotional when we feel physical pain more than men

I dont think thats true...from my experience women seem to be better at dealing with long term physical pain than men (like crippling sciatica which my mum had) though not short term (like a punch in the face)

ReputationRep:
    I prefer emotional pain because the onset is less scary.. can't do physical pain. Also, emotional pain is all in the head, you can fix it.
    Interesting though, when I posted this topic people were being ********* and said it was ridiculous and that emotional pain is worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnator)
    I dont think thats true...from my experience women seem to be better at dealing with long term physical pain than men (like crippling sciatica which my mum had) though not short term (like a punch in the face)
    yeah i elaborated a few posts ago. we have thinner skin with more nerve endings so any pain that includes skin will be worse for females. How well you deal with pain, on the other hand, is totally individual afaik; nothing to do with your gender.

ReputationRep:
    Well the degree of pain depends on... well, the degree, not kind.

Someone whacking me on the nose would be less painful than seeing my family gunned down, but putting my hand in a toaster would be more painful than someone calling me ugly.

ReputationRep:
    Physical pain in the short term, emotional in the long term. It takes a lot longer to heal emotional/psychological pain.

In most cases, of course there are exceptions (severe physical injury etc)

ReputationRep:
    Emotional pain is much worse.

I broke my leg in two places and that was incredibly painful but gas and air takes it away.
    Emotional pain can take years to heal. Even if you lived with physical pain everyday of your life it would be the emotional pain of having to live with that that would be the worst thing. (I imagine) Ie. You could have a sore leg every day but it would be living with the sore leg and all the things that you couldn't do that would really suck.

Also I think pyschological torture is much worse because of the after effects it has on you. Your body heals but your mind doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    yeah i elaborated a few posts ago. we have thinner skin with more nerve endings so any pain that includes skin will be worse for females. How well you deal with pain, on the other hand, is totally individual afaik; nothing to do with your gender.

sorry i couldnt be bothered to read all the posts :P

I realise that your gender will have little bearing on your ability to deal with pain, I just feel from my own personal experience that the women ive seen who have long term pain deal with it quite well compared to the men ive seen (moan less :P )

ReputationRep:
    Emotional pain is the worst :sad: I'd swap it for physical pain any day.....

ReputationRep:
    :hmmmm: I actually can't make up my mind!

ReputationRep:
    Emotional/psychological, because when in a state of emotional/psychological pain physical pain becomes utterly contingent and meaningless except as an expression of it.

Severe physical pain is not fun either however, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    Physical pain, I couldn't handle it.

ReputationRep:
    Can't make up my mind. It's worse to experience both at once, I don't believe on one cancels out the other. However, but physical pain definately holds more sway over emotional/psychological pain.

ReputationRep:
    depends..

i'd say physical though i suppose

ReputationRep:
    For me emotional is always worse...and some physical pain is a lot better and enjoyable

ReputationRep:
    Psychological.

Anyone who has experienced a proper psychiatric injury will know that it's horrendous. And it comes with free physical pain as well.

ReputationRep:
    IMO emotional.

Physical pain is bad but it usually goes whereas emotional pain can stay for so much longer and effects me much more. It all depends on what the emotional hurt is though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.