Turn on thread page Beta

Birthmark watch

• View Poll Results: what should my friend do?
    leave it alone
    66.67%
    cover it with a tattoo
    11.11%
    opt for elective surgical removal
    16.67%
    cover it with paint everyday (?)
    5.56%

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine has a blackish birthmark (nevus) on the back. He's been wondering what to do with it. The doctors say it isn't malignant or anything, so it won't cause a problem. However, it's somewhat big so when he's at the beach, etc. he gets a bit self-conscious.

Should he:
    1. leave it alone
    2. cover it with a tattoo
    3. get elective surgical removal
    4. rub it with paint everyday

ReputationRep:
    a "friend" - hmmm
    your "friend" should leave it alone/get elective surgical removal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obessedwithu&rockmusic)
    a "friend" - hmmm
    your "friend" should leave it alone/get elective surgical removal
    yah my friend and i were recently bathing together and it came up!!! :coma:

and hey those are two totally different options lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jhukranti)
    it came up!!! :coma:
    THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jhukranti)
    yah my friend and i were recently bathing together and it came up!!! :coma:

and hey those are two totally different options lol
    forgot to mention ---- it depends how big it is, if it is small than ignore it, if it is huge than remove it... (if considering removal tell your friend to contact his doctor :yes: )

ReputationRep:
    Tell him to get over it. No one will give a damn if he has a mole on his back unless it's like this:

ReputationRep:
    Tell your 'friend' to leave it.

ReputationRep:
    Tell your friend to leave it, and get used to it. I have a nevus (beckers nevus) on my back as well, its really quite big and yeah it knocked my confidence a lot - it was on channel 4's embarassing illnesses so you know mine is bad lol! it made me depressed for about three months
    but I've decided that its just a part of me and makes me unique. I dont think I'm gonna go to the beach topless anytime soon but I aint arsed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obessedwithu&rockmusic)
    forgot to mention ---- it depends how big it is, if it is small than ignore it, if it is huge than remove it... (if considering removal tell your friend to contact his doctor :yes: )
    Your friend shouldnt remove it - the scars left from removing it will be big if its quite large and not to mention very painful. I was considering removing mine via surgery but the dermatologist told me that keeping it would be like the lesser of two evils.

ReputationRep:
    Yes yes what about a tattoo though my friend had a pretty neat design to cover up the mark...maybe that would work?

ReputationRep:
    I would say leave it, I had a birthmark removed recently (not a nevus, something else i dont remember now) and it left a red scar the size of the birthmark. Only reason I was advised to get mine removed is because it was raised, and the scar I have now is flat, so its not noticeable. If the birthmark is flat, then there is no point really in getting it removed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    I would say leave it, I had a birthmark removed recently (not a nevus, something else i dont remember now) and it left a red scar the size of the birthmark. Only reason I was advised to get mine removed is because it was raised, and the scar I have now is flat, so its not noticeable. If the birthmark is flat, then there is no point really in getting it removed.
    yah i don't think his was raised...

so thanks for the advice all, he'll appreciate it!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.